No announcement yet.

Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no, that's grim news. One of the better supported sides with one of the few Uefa compliant grounds in the region - that'll be a real blow if it comes to pass. Could be the first of many though.

Comment

I always assumed, I don’t know why, that Rhyl were a big club in the circles they swam in. I didn’t realise they were a second division side now. How has it come to this? Has past overspending led to their downfall or is it as genuine as the article suggests and to do with the current directors?

Comment

https://twitter.com/rhylfc/status/1262458715967496195

Comment

Season's over http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52726498

Connahs Quay are champions
          Barry qualify for Europe (because the Welsh Cup has been abandoned)
          Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 19-05-2020, 16:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Season's over http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52726498

Connahs Quay are champions
            Barry qualify for Europe (because the Welsh Cup has been abandoned)
            Such a shame that any European games are most likely to be behind closed doors.

Comment

CPD Masnachfraint losing out on a title is a silver lining.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post

Such a shame that any European games are most likely to be behind closed doors.
                Well it depends when UEFA decide to start the competitions. July might be OK. TBH I'm not holding out much hope of seeing any more live football in 2020.

Comment

I'm hopeful I might get to see some socially distanced non league with small crowds, but all-seater games like UEFA qualifying rounds don't seem a likely candidate for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                    I'm hopeful I might get to see some socially distanced non league with small crowds...
                    I had been thinking the same but am increasingly worried the issue of testing the squads and officials (possibly the coaching staff too) will scupper those hopes.

Comment

Horrible spelling mistakes.
                      Last edited by Kowalski; 20-05-2020, 19:53.

Comment

Mike Harris, owner of The Nuisance, has called for the FAW to have a 1st v 2nd play off to determine champions. The loss of CL qualifier money is going to damage the budget of his doped darlings somewhat.

Barry took 5 points off The Nuisance at Park Hall this year. 5 points being the margin between them and the Battle Giants in first. We are the kingmakers, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                          Horrible spelling mistakes.
                          Mine?

Comment

No, it was my original post.

I tried to say that Bangor 1876 had won the Gwynedd League on a Points Per Game basis but I failed.

Comment

There was a Zoom call for fans with the Barry manager, Gavin Chesterfield last night. I asked if he thought this was the opportunity foe the Welsh system to switch to summer football. He said he wasn't keen on the idea but if it would be the best thing for Welsh football then it might be the way forward. I thought that was quite a good answer.

Personally I'd like to see the switch to summer football. International tournaments aren't really going to impact on team selection. The big season opener could be on St David's Day - especially if the Six Nations moves to April / May as has been mooted this week. And we could conclude by the end of October leaving the grim months to the rugby. If the FAW were smart they could start aggressively promoting futsal to run through the winter months to maintain the footy fix and encourage clubs to have teams in both sports.

Comment

Summer football has been the making of the League of Ireland, I'd highly recommend it. Getting away from English football has helped, and having a match fit squad has definitely improved European results.

Comment

Would there many Welsh clubs where a trip could be combined with a beach weekend? I can imagine Barry away in July might attract more away fans than in January, for example

Comment

I'm vehemently against summer football for a a multitude of reasons, (I prefer winter football, when do semi-pro footballers go on holiday? It still rains in Welsh summers, I prefer winter football, after the Super 12 and 3G local football hubs it's just the latest FAW brainwave to "grow the game" and lastly, I prefer winter football) but the biggest reason has become the multitude of twitter based fans Swansea and Cardiff fans, all five of them, that see summer football as a way of developing their own little pet team within the Welsh system.

Besides I prefer winter football.

Comment

So we'll put you down as a "Don't Know" then?

Comment

Can I shock you? I like watching football in the sunshine.

On some level I know that it's odd that I feel so vehemently about summer football, as I've just written "I like watching football in the sunshine" and I've just spent a season watching Bangor 1876 in every damp field in Gwynedd and Ynys Mon. Watching football with numb fingers and cold muddy feet in grounds lashed by wind and rain really lends perspective (and that was just August!!!!!!!).

I see the point about European football but it seems to be a lot of effort to get one round, or may we even dare to dream of two rounds, closer to the holy "Group Stage", nobody I watch 1876 with sees the thrill in knowing that Bala Town or Connah's Quay are playing in Europe. Extra physical preparation will only get you so far because at some point you come across that crack side from Eastern Europe. We would need a totally professional league as well as summer football to make a real difference but who is going to fund league-wide professionalism?

Mind you if it happens, it happens and I'll go along grudgingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                          Can I shock you? I like watching football in the sunshine.

On some level I know that it's odd that I feel so vehemently about summer football, as I've just written "I like watching football in the sunshine" and I've just spent a season watching Bangor 1876 in every damp field in Gwynedd and Ynys Mon. Watching football with numb fingers and cold muddy feet in grounds lashed by wind and rain really lends perspective (and that was just August!!!!!!!).

I see the point about European football but it seems to be a lot of effort to get one round, or may we even dare to dream of two rounds, closer to the holy "Group Stage", nobody I watch 1876 with sees the thrill in knowing that Bala Town or Connah's Quay are playing in Europe. Extra physical preparation will only get you so far because at some point you come across that crack side from Eastern Europe. We would need a totally professional league as well as summer football to make a real difference but who is going to fund league-wide professionalism?

Mind you if it happens, it happens and I'll go along grudgingly.
                                          Although, if the Welsh co-efficient improves sufficiently to avoid the prelims, the match fitness engendered by summer football could help with Europa League qualification, as you'd only need to win one CL tie to drop into an EL play-off round.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                            Would there many Welsh clubs where a trip could be combined with a beach weekend? I can imagine Barry away in July might attract more away fans than in January, for example
                                            All down to Bagillt after a kicking by the Nomads.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                              Almost all the North Wales clubs are in coastal towns with gorgeous beaches. Bala is inland but it has a lake and a steam train. The only non tourist spot is Cefn and thats very close to an amazing aqueduct built by Thomas Telford.

Comment

TNS are taking the FAW to court because they didn't win the title. Boofuckinghoo I say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/53182025

Comment

Just when you think there are no more reasons to dislike TNS, they always deliver a fresh one. They're remarkably consistent like that.

On an unrelated note, when does the newly structured third tier come into place? Is it for 2020-21 or later?

Comment

I've seen a lot of retweets from clubs this week saying that they have been awarded Tier Three licences, so I guess it's 20-21.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X