No announcement yet.

Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing welcome reports that the Franchise lost the case.

Comment

Good.

Comment

Yep. BBC report here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53182025

I'm just going to point out again here that Barry took four points off TNS at Park Hall last season, with a win and a draw. If TNS had won both those games they would have been Champions. So I feel we have been Kingmakers this year.

Having said that, Connahs Quay only won at Barry in January after a bizarre refereeing decision to send off a Barry player in the first half. That decision was later rescinded.

Comment

1876 are in Tier 4, the North Wales Coast West Football League:

We'll be [playing the following clubs;

CPD Aberffraw
          Amlwch Town
          Barmouth & Dyffryn United
          Bodedern Athletic
          Gaerwen
          Gwalchmai
          Llanberis
          Llanrug United
          Menai Bridge Tigers
          Mynydd Llandegai
          Nefyn United
          Penrhyndeudraeth
          Pentraeth
          Pwllheli
          Trearddur Bay Bulls

There are parallel leagues in the North Wales Coast East and Wrexham areas.

Comment

Is Amlwch really a "town". Stretching the definition there.

Comment

Lemmy went to school in Amlwch and it's a town according to the sign, if a very small one.

Comment

Never mind whether it's a town or not; how on earth did Amlwch's twinning with Sankwia come about?

With Rhyl's reformed side in the North Wales Coast East Football League, it's highly likely that both the coastal divisions will be won by phoenix sides (assuming the season plays out).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  I might be wrong, but those other clubs are playing at football grounds, aren't they? Last time I went to STM they were playing on a caged off part of Cardiff University's sports fields. A little box for spectators and no other facilities. (I used the loo in the changing room building.)

I'll go and check if STM have moved.
                  They've apparently just folded following relegation to the third tier due to failing ground requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

They've apparently just folded following relegation to the third tier due to failing ground requirements.
                    That's shit news. They were in the league cup final in January.

I had a mate who played for them. It was very much a monied owner pushing it forward.

Comment

And that owner has flounced in a fit of pique after being punished for not following regulations all other clubs do, it would appear.

Weren't you speculating that they didn't even really meet the third tier requirement?

Comment

They played on a rented pitch at the Cardiff University sports complex in Llanrumney. It was very basic with a tiny box for supporters to sit in. It's not a bad facility but I doubt it would have met ground standards.

Comment

It leaves a problem in FAW Tier 3 because they will be down a club in that league. I don't think there are loads of clubs queuing up with requisite ground grading.

Comment

Not that much of a problem... Aberdare Town have the requisite tier 3 licence and would geographically be the most obvious replacement.

Comment

It leaves a problem in FAW Tier 3 because they will be down a club in that league. I don't think there are loads of clubs queuing up with requisite ground grading.
                              Last week our league lost Barmouth because they moved to the mid Wales area FA and got Bro Goronwy from Anglesey instead. It's not a really problem at the moment because we haven't had an announcement about a date for the restart of football.

I was gutted on the one hand because Barmouth away would have been a good day out but on the other hand our away game in Bro Goronwy was called off just before the Lockdown started so I've never been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
                                Not that much of a problem... Aberdare Town have the requisite tier 3 licence and would geographically be the most obvious replacement.
                                Yes they've been mentioned on Twitter as potentially benefiting. The other name mentioned was Cardiff Draconians but I don't think they have much of a ground.

Comment

Draconians have the tier 3 licence too, so could also go in.

Comment

They must have really upgraded their pitch then or they play in a different place to where I think they play.

Comment

I saw the Dracs play Grange Albion at Albion last season and it was noted among the Albion lads that the Dracs could somehow pay their players. I heard they were getting some work done on their pitch. Do you need floodlights in tier 3?

Comment

I saw the Dracs play Grange Albion at Albion last season and it was noted among the Albion lads that the Dracs could somehow pay their players. I heard they were getting some work done on their pitch. Do you need floodlights in tier 3?
                                        My home town Llantwit Major don't have floodlights and are in the Cymru South. (And are compliant as far as I'm aware).

Comment

Looking at the Tier 3 requirements, floodlights are in the B criteria, ie optional.

https://www.faw.cymru/en/about-faw/d...lub-licensing/

It says clubs should have a public address system. I don't remember one being used at STM when I went.

Comment

Draconians have confirmed they will be playing in the third tier.

Comment

Was just going to post that myself. With all the picturesque grounds that Welsh football offers, it is nice to get one with two big council tower blocks looming over it.

Comment

Gabalfa Skyscrapers. Next to the the biggest urban interchange in Wales. The stuff of dreams.

Comment

Last year I had to create an entry on Futbology for Cardiff Draconians. I wonder if the app will go down to the third tier in Wales this season? Also, will my home-made entry for Cardiff Draconians pick up the official entry for Draconians that gets created? This will probably be moot because I doubt I will be going to see them next season.

Comment

Cymru Premier starts on 12 September behind closed doors. Apparently the clubs wanted to delay until Welsh Government would allow fans in but FAW are insisting. Of course we could all go to a pub and watch it in Sgorio which makes loads of fucking sense.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X