X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Oh, poor old Swindon. Financial problems? They can hand back last season's promotion then. No way they could afford a top goalscorer ... except they bought one.

Like so many other clubs (this season it's Bolton), their hard luck story doesn't seem to prevent them finding the cash to outbid sucker clubs (like mine) who try and live within their means. Swindon can have a nice big points deduction next season to help them learn how to do it. Better still, drop out of the league, have the supporters take over the club and stop trying to find the latest charlatan who promises to make reality go away.
    Yes there's a few clubs I have zero sympathy for when they start crying penury. It's like we all have that one mate who never has his wallet on him in the pub but then tells you all about his new iPhone.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Orange
    replied
    It's not my intention to flood this thread with clips of Ipswich ineptitude, but there are a few doing the rounds. This one is from the game at Northampton on Tuesday. I showed it to Mrs HO last night and she couldn't stop laughing, so I thought I'd share.

https://twitter.com/KeiranITFC/status/1384591076984565764

I'm not sure what's my favourite bit. Is it the urgency on show from a team 2-0 down and supposedly still in the hunt for the play-offs? The crispness of the pass from the cultured Arsenal loanee, Mark McGuinness? Andre Dozzell's keenness to retrieve the situation rather than, say, looking incredulously at his team-mate as if to say "What the fucking fuck was that?"? So much to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    I've seen a lot of references recently to the turmoil at Swindon but didn't quite know the details. This thread is very good on that and also their historical problems ;

https://twitter.com/shaunjlawson/status/1386002773490257923?s=21
    I'll have a read of the thread, but that's an intriguing opener. Carrow Road is the only.place I remember clearly hearing the racist chanting from home fans, back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Orange
    replied
    Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post

I think something cracked for a lot of fans last night, if the socials are anything to go by. 8 goals in 135 minutes of football seemed to suggest that things were heading in the right direction, but the lack of intensity has quickly returned, as has the complete lack of any kind of alternative plan to deal with teams that flood the middle of the park and chase us down. The fact that 2 transfer window signings lasted 45 minutes before being hooked for inadequate displays speaks volumes as well. After a promising start, Danny Crowley is like a dead weight attached to the team's legs whenever he plays, and coupled with the other fringe players not making any case for a starting place means that we're totally reliant on players who are clearly starting to show signs of fatigue. With the games in hand, I'm struggling to see us even making the playoffs.

McCann won't walk, and the chairman won't sack him either. Absolute fucking shambles.
    Congrats, FS. I'm glad things improved - I remembered that you didn't sound too hopeful after losing to Ipswich (above).

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    Thanks, and yeah, having seen clubs of a higher standing than us struggle to get out of this division I guess we have to be thankful for the team doing it at the first attempt, as even though the owners have been quiet of late there were plenty of stories about drastic wage and squad cuts if we stayed down (a few players were only on 1 year deals in the event of not going up).

And it would have been nice to do a few away trips this past season (I've not attended a home game since 2014) as when I was a regular in the 90's we spent most of the time in this league, and it would have been nice to return to some old haunts or new grounds. I do know that if crowds were allowed, yesterday would have been total carnage.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post

Thanks, not sure I'd want this to happen too often though, it hurts the head somewhat.

Another game where we pulled it out the hat, as we were under the cosh for long periods of the second half, and Malik Wilks displayed a coolness I didn't know he possessed to dispatch the winning penalty. The obvious targeting of Honeyman threatened to throw us, but the other players stepped up in his absence and saw it through.

A tip of the cap to the manager, who at the end of last season was about as popular as a dose of the shits with pretty much the entire fan base, but has cobbled together a squad that in the main plays good attacking football and works for each other. And, I guess, fair play to the owners for sticking by him and backing him (can't believe I've just written that. I feel dirty)

Now, let's go and win the title.
    Congrats FS and fellow Tigers. Absolutely schooling TheLikesOfIpswichAndSunderland in how to do the D2-D3-D2 bounce back. Shame I guess it had to be 'this' year that it happened as you'll have missed a few new grounds but hope you enjoyed the season on the whole.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    Have Swindon been a basket case for longer than any other club. It does seems that since their non-promotion of 1990 that they've been in a constant financial mess.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied

Strange performance from Plymouth. Greenlander. you were dreadful first half...; played brilliantly for the first twenty minutes of the 2nd half; deservedly got an equalizer and then went back to sleep.
    This. Describes just about every game since March, even those we've won.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    I've seen a lot of references recently to the turmoil at Swindon but didn't quite know the details. This thread is very good on that and also their historical problems
    Oh, poor old Swindon. Financial problems? They can hand back last season's promotion then. No way they could afford a top goalscorer ... except they bought one.

Like so many other clubs (this season it's Bolton), their hard luck story doesn't seem to prevent them finding the cash to outbid sucker clubs (like mine) who try and live within their means. Swindon can have a nice big points deduction next season to help them learn how to do it. Better still, drop out of the league, have the supporters take over the club and stop trying to find the latest charlatan who promises to make reality go away.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    CongratulationsFearful

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
    Argyle are safe. Just as well as we were terrible again. 19th spot here we come.

Strange performance from Plymouth. Greenlander. you were dreadful first half...; played brilliantly for the first twenty minutes of the 2nd half; deservedly got an equalizer and then went back to sleep.

Oxford are fifth but played more games than everyone else.

Not playing on Tuesday- these are some of the other relevant games

​​​​​​​Sunderland vs Blackpool

Accrington vs Portsmouth

Shrewsbury vs Lincoln

Charlton vs Crewe

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Hull up?

Confirmed. Gratz Fearful Symmetry
    Thanks, not sure I'd want this to happen too often though, it hurts the head somewhat.

Another game where we pulled it out the hat, as we were under the cosh for long periods of the second half, and Malik Wilks displayed a coolness I didn't know he possessed to dispatch the winning penalty. The obvious targeting of Honeyman threatened to throw us, but the other players stepped up in his absence and saw it through.

A tip of the cap to the manager, who at the end of last season was about as popular as a dose of the shits with pretty much the entire fan base, but has cobbled together a squad that in the main plays good attacking football and works for each other. And, I guess, fair play to the owners for sticking by him and backing him (can't believe I've just written that. I feel dirty)

Now, let's go and win the title.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ethan
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
    Ipswich Town 0.

Now there's a shock.
    I think you'll find Town has now been officially replaced with Nil in our club's name.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I've seen a lot of references recently to the turmoil at Swindon but didn't quite know the details. This thread is very good on that and also their historical problems ;

https://twitter.com/shaunjlawson/status/1386002773490257923?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Hot Orange
    replied
    Ipswich Town 2021 (best enjoyed with sound on):

https://twitter.com/IpswichTownFans/status/1385983083267215363
    Last edited by Hot Orange; 24-04-2021, 21:07.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    Argyle are safe. Just as well as we were terrible again. 19th spot here we come.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Salop are safe. And in sixteenth! Nosebleed territory.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    97th minute equaliser from Rochdale.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Hull up?

Confirmed. Gratz Fearful Symmetry
    Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 24-04-2021, 16:08.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Mick Mills was very complimentary about us this arvo, on the commentary.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Orange
    replied
    Ipswich Town 0.

Now there's a shock.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Bloody bloody. We should have won that.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Accrington refusing to lie down at Sunderland. Currently 3-3.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Swindon must be down too, 5-0 down at the franchise scum.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    So Bristol Rovers are down.

Leave a comment:

• kokamoa
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Well it kind of has been spectacular in that he's somehow made a bad team perform even worse than they were under the interim charge of Matt Gill. Not that it helps but I thought that Gill and Dyer should have been given the chance to see out the season once Lambert left. Marcus Evans appointing a new manager with apparently no planning, and then selling the club, was very Evans.

Part of the trouble must come from Lambert having lowered the bar of expectations so far in the last two or three seasons. The players seemed to think that their plodding, ineffectual possession based football was 'absolutely brilliant.' Cook has come in looking for intensity and it's not gone well. He's gone on record as saying he doesn't like the team and can't trust them (and that they can't cross, don't create chances, etc etc). Many players are out of contract so are basically playing in a manner that should avoid injury: don't run too hard, don't challenge and overstretch, don't tackle and get rid before anyone can hack you.

Which means Cook will be starting from scratch essentially. Now apparently he's quite good at this, so there is some hope. But the atmosphere and results that have arisen from his time in charge already are sowing the
    seeds of doubt about his capabilities. If he doesn't have 20 points from the first ten matches next season I wouldn't be too surprised if the new owners made a change.
    Bear in mind, he’s working with a squad who were unable to complete a double training session a few weeks ago. Cook hasn’t so much failed to polish a turd with what he’s inherited at Ipswich, as failed to polish diarrhoea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X