Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imp
    replied
    I dreamt the other night I was playing for Lincoln in our final game of the season, in a cow field, no spectators. We need to win to go up, the other side has no stake in the game. The scores are level. In the last minute we break upfield, I take a cross from the right and blast a goal-bound shot towards the top corner, but a large defender - archetypal D3 lunkhead with a 'tache - stops the goal with his hand. The ref gives a penalty, I ask the defender why the hell he had to do that given that his team has nothing to gain or lose from the result, and he gives me a shit-eating grin.

I line up to take the penalty and wonder if the goalkeeper, having heard me rant at the defender, will be kind enough to dive in the wrong direction. Needless to say, I am terrified of missing, but am determined it's me who should be taking the spot-kick. I wake up. I tell my dream to frau imp, who gets mad at me because she doesn't get to find out if I scored the penalty or not. I argue that waking up was the best option, because if I'd scored and then woken up, I'd have been inconsolable that I hadn't taken the historic kick and hadn't been promoted after all. And that if I'd missed, I might have needed years of therapy to get over the trauma. Hmph, she'll be lucky if she gets to hear any of my Lincoln City dreams in the future.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Oh that's complicated. Charlton. Hmmm.

Ok, Charlton to win, if you lose. It's a deal.

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    I'd be inclined to back Charlton in the playoffs on current form, Agent Adkins could help our title bid today. Or if it goes to the last day and they're safely in the top 6, he can put his kids out against us. Always liked him, me.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Sure. Though Lincoln have an extra game, and Sunderland appear to have fallen off a cliff.

Also I want to keep Sunderland.

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    Well we always aim to disappoint one way or another. Sunderland can still catch them as well, of course.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    I mean, I've no desire to be in a league with them, but I'd rather they weren't successful. Maybe they'll spend a year getting dicked.

Or maybe they'll collapse and Lincoln will nick it off them. That would be nice.

Oh yeah I see a win today and you're up. Ah, but you need to lose for my Lincoln nicking it off them plan to work.

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    2 games against a frankly-can't-be-arsed Doncaster to come, you'd reckon so.

Wondering if we can seal our own promotion today, although I'd be happy with a point.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    It does kinda look like Posh are going up, doesn't it? Shame.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Thanks Ray, got two sorted myself as well. Not 100% I'll be able to go though.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    That's great news Ray

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Plough Lane to finally open to a limited set of fans for an under 23 game test event :

https://twitter.com/afcwimbledon/status/1376562119588593668?s=21

Going to be very tough to get tickets even for people like me who have debentures, understandably so though.

Hopefully this will still be relevant to the D3 thread when it happens.
    Got tickets for my boy and I today as they're now open for debenture holders.

I know it's not the proper first game but I am unfeasibly excited.

DCI Harry Batt FYI (though I'm sure you know).

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    Karl Robinson is a bellend. Let's not sugarcoat it.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    A couple of seasons back we conceeded a late equaliser home to Bristol Rovers and walked back into town pissed off that it meant we weren't quite safe but probably only needed a win and a couple of draws from our last seven games.

On Saturday that late, late Burton equaliser annoyed me but put us on 53 points and pretty much safe.

A couple of seasons back we went to Accrington for our penultimate game and got gubbed 5-1. We got relegated on goal difference.

After last night I'm now fearing the worst. I mean only Rochdale can put us into the bottom four and they need to win the lot but we're not winning again this season.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Karl Robinson looks like a "Young Conservative" whose stayed in the association long past graduating age for the piss ups.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    For some reason "football people" seem to rate him, which makes it worse yeah.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Busy playing football last night (even managed to score) so missed the City game. Wonderful result and what a great moment for TJ Eyoma to get his first professional goal. Superbly taken header, and delicious cross from Tayo Edun too. Thrilled to see Jorge Grant back on the pitch too, though wonder whether he'll start against Hull. Great set of results last night.

Re: Karl Robinson. Maybe it's just his ever so pleased with himself, smug looking face, but he reminds me of Mark Cooper. Got the feeling he's a lower league media darling too.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Salop's goal difference will keep them up if there's a tie on points.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
    I wonder if Cook will be back at Wigan next season under the new owners. It was a very weird look when he refused to front pressers just after Ipswich's take over was announced. His impact has thus far been less than spectacular.
    Well it kind of has been spectacular in that he's somehow made a bad team perform even worse than they were under the interim charge of Matt Gill. Not that it helps but I thought that Gill and Dyer should have been given the chance to see out the season once Lambert left. Marcus Evans appointing a new manager with apparently no planning, and then selling the club, was very Evans.

Part of the trouble must come from Lambert having lowered the bar of expectations so far in the last two or three seasons. The players seemed to think that their plodding, ineffectual possession based football was 'absolutely brilliant.' Cook has come in looking for intensity and it's not gone well. He's gone on record as saying he doesn't like the team and can't trust them (and that they can't cross, don't create chances, etc etc). Many players are out of contract so are basically playing in a manner that should avoid injury: don't run too hard, don't challenge and overstretch, don't tackle and get rid before anyone can hack you.

Which means Cook will be starting from scratch essentially. Now apparently he's quite good at this, so there is some hope. But the atmosphere and results that have arisen from his time in charge already are sowing the seeds of doubt about his capabilities. If he doesn't have 20 points from the first ten matches next season I wouldn't be too surprised if the new owners made a change.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Yeah Shrews might need to add another point or two to be completely sure.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Some Salop fans are getting worried that 50 points won't be enough to stay up after losing a third game in a row last night (an to a relegation rival). Salop have been out of 17th place for a couple of games now and there is a clamour for them to get back to their proper level.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Well it's deluded and he has a dig about us. I mean, everything is within its context rather than being a new, fresh thing to consider from first principles. So yeah. But it's very him.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ethan
    replied
    I wonder if Cook will be back at Wigan next season under the new owners. It was a very weird look when he refused to front pressers just after Ipswich's take over was announced. His impact has thus far been less than spectacular.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    That seems fair enough. Just trying to figure out why the interview posted above was seen as "a shocker".

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    Apart from the fact that he managed Milton Keynes why, I wonder, do the AFC people hate Karl Robinson so much? I don't like him particularly but the self righteousness and moral high horse from those who used to watch Vinnie Jones, Denis Wise and John Fashanu is a little jarring.
    I'm not an Arsenal fan, so am not speaking for them - not that I'd noticed a particular animus from that quarter. Mind you, I don't speak for Wimbledon fans either. Just for me. And in fact, I wouldn't claim to have 100% insight into me even.

But yeah, there isn't an "apart from", not really. He always seemed to suit the franchise pretty well. He was a nasty loudmouth tosser when he was there, and we have built a mutual disrespect. So he'll always be that franchise wanker for us.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    Nice performance from Lincoln at Burton, back to playing decent football like earlier in the season. Though Callum Morton up front looks like he's somebody's kid brother dragged in at the last minute because we were short. "Is he any good?" "Weeeeell, he's never actually played a proper game, but he looks really nippy in the school playground..."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X