No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, figure skating has weird vibe around it - the costumes, the judging, the insane coaches, the cheating - but it's incredibly difficult to do and it fucking hurts. Ice is hard and slippery.

Comment

I’ve spent all evening trying to find something to watch because I’m too tired to do anything else.

I’m just going to watch Heat again for a little while and go to sleep

Comment

Just watched episode 9 of 1883. If you like westerns it is okay, though no Lonesome Dove. This was a strange episode though, with two major plot points apparently abandoned halfway through. Perhaps this will be explained in the final show. Thus far it has been a little repetitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          Yeah, figure skating has weird vibe around it - the costumes, the judging, the insane coaches, the cheating - but it's incredibly difficult to do and it fucking hurts. Ice is hard and slippery.
          If you’re ever at a loose end (and haven’t already seen it) Superstore on Netflix is an enjoyable and undemanding half hour sitcom. Once you know the characters you like them, and it moves along nicely without getting too heavy. Loads of episodes.

Comment

I absolutely loved Superstore - can't recommend it enough.

I'm currently working through Seinfeld. I'm up to near the end of S4 and I still can't really work out if I like it or not. It has it's funny moments, but few laugh out loud ones. The only truly engrossing character is Elaine. Kramer is just nuts, but not overly funny. Seinfeld is a comedian but comes off as the straight man. George I just find really unlikeable, so woe is me despite the majority of his failings being entirely down to himself.

Despite that - I can't stop watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
              I absolutely loved Superstore - can't recommend it enough.

I'm currently working through Seinfeld. I'm up to near the end of S4 and I still can't really work out if I like it or not. It has it's funny moments, but few laugh out loud ones. The only truly engrossing character is Elaine. Kramer is just nuts, but not overly funny. Seinfeld is a comedian but comes off as the straight man. George I just find really unlikeable, so woe is me despite the majority of his failings being entirely down to himself.

Despite that - I can't stop watching it.
              This makes it sound like a drama. It's not supposed to be realistic.
              Of course Kramer is nuts and of course George's problems are all his fault. It's very 90s.

I think it peaks around season 5, but the later seasons have more of Frank Costanza, who steals the show.

Comment

Yeah, I think Seinfeld matured over time. Amazingly, The Strike (Festivus episode) was Season 9. Penske File (The Barber) was in S5.

Comment

I'm not saying it has to be realistic, I just don't find the characters as someone to warm to. Superstore was mentioned, I love most of the characters in that show.

Some of Kramer's stuff has been great, but a lot of it is just overblown crap. Don't get me wrong, I adore slapstick. Someone getting smacked in the nuts will have me laughing my head off far more than it should a man my age.

Like I said, Elaine is the only really interesting character to me. I'll no doubt watch it to the end because something is keeping me engrossed in it.

Comment

I'm just completing the 22nd series of Air Crash Investigation, which was an interesting an informative as ever. But I've also got normal linear TV back for the first time in about three years, and I have a considerably longer post about that which I'll get round to writing later, because I have some spicy opinions on what I've seen - or rather, what I've not seen.

Comment

Add me to the Superstore fans.

In a nerdy over-thinking way (yes, analysing comedy is sure to induce yawns at parties) I like to see how many characters they can include in an ensemble cast, juggling to keep their individual stories going. Superstore manages this very well, maybe half a dozen prominent and a dozen supporting. As others have said, they nearly all remain sympathetic characters, even Geoff from corporate and Dina the wannabe cop.

Up to late Season 3 anyway, if there's shark-jumping I haven't reached it yet.

Comment

Kramer had some great shirts

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post

As Hot Pepsi said: it’s full-on Anderson. I thought it was brilliant but I didn’t enjoy it that much.
                          Watched it last night (it's just arrived on Disney+, or at least I've just noticed it arriving). I'd echo this completely, visually brilliant and everyone doing their parts well and enjoying themselves, but after a while it felt like it became something that was there to admire rather than be out and out enjoyed. But mileage may vary etc.

Comment

Watched Munich yesterday (the film adaptation of the Robert Harris novel). It was OK as a film but it felt very timely to watch a film based on Britain and France allowing a fascist dictator to invade and occupy a neighbouring country in exchange for a worthless promise that he wouldn't invade anywhere else.

Comment

I'm binge rewatching Counterpart. Love Berlin in it, lots of really good performances and, sigh, Baldwin...

Comment

I watched Power of the Dog this evening. If I was feeling diplomatic I’d say that it wasn’t for me. If I wanted to elaborate I’d say it was one of the most utterly boring films I’ve seen in a long time.

Comment

It is really boring. Good performances, though.

Comment

We watched The French Dispatch last night too and loved it. My daughter had already seen it in the cinema and had said how it was almost Anderson parodying himself but very enjoyably so and she happily rewatched it with us.

It was very laugh-out-loud funny (which I wasn't expecting) as well as full of great performances & visual styling (which I was). I wish I'd managed to see it in the cinema too now, for the latter, but it seemed to have a very brief run.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      I watched Power of the Dog this evening. If I was feeling diplomatic I’d say that it wasn’t for me. If I wanted to elaborate I’d say it was one of the most utterly boring films I’ve seen in a long time.
                                      It’s going to scoop the Oscars, too. Mumblecore with a wank at the end. I quite liked it, but I wouldn’t say it’s a great film. Same with “The Piano”.

Anyway, they are cutting the Oscars so only the money-shot accolades are filmed. The whole point of the Oscars is watching the winner of Best Documentary Short with a funky tie gleefully thanking everyone they’ve ever met. That sounds sarcastic. That’s genuinely the stuff I like. Proper yes!!!
                                      Last edited by Slightly Brown; 26-02-2022, 16:33.

Comment

Yeah, the Oscars keep fixing problems that aren’t problems. Lots of critics have said what you just said, more or less.

Somehow I didn’t realize that I had access to the directors commentary for Heat. So I’m watching that now.

Comment

“The House of Gucci”. Couldn’t find it on this thread, although i think it’s on rubbish representation thread? The Leto lad?

Anyway. The film is awful. Every third word of dialogue is “Gucci”. As has been pointed out by everyone ever, the accents are terrible. I mean, amazing terrible. Like a drunk uncle who came to borrow something pretending to be Geppotto (Disney version). That said, I liked the first 14 hours, and then it went downhill. Pacino needs to have a word with himself. Driver was wasted. I have a soft spot for Driver (“Paterson” is brilliant) but he just smiles the whole film and then becomes a diq.
                                          Last edited by Slightly Brown; 27-02-2022, 02:16.

Comment

Vikings Valhalla is now on Netflix, rather than the History Channel like the original series.

I like it so far but I have trouble distinguishing some of the characters.

It starts around 1,000. It compressed some of the history and supposes that dreamy Lief Erickson and his smoking hot sister were involved in fighting with Cnut and Olaf, etc. I guess it will all lead up to the Battle of Hastings.

Comment

Notice how the Viking 'Look' has changed over a couple of hundred years? Fewer tats and elaborate hairstyles for sure, looks less like a Premier League soccer match now. They've played fast and lose with a few things, for instance Aethelred isn't just 'Unready' he's dead already. In reality he lived a good deal longer. IIRC he was the longest ruling English King until one of the later Plantagenets. Mind, judging by the first episode, his smoking hot Norman wife would likely have done for him soon anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                Notice how the Viking 'Look' has changed over a couple of hundred years? Fewer tats and elaborate hairstyles for sure, looks less like a Premier League soccer match now. They've played fast and lose with a few things, for instance Aethelred isn't just 'Unready' he's dead already. In reality he lived a good deal longer. IIRC he was the longest ruling English King until one of the later Plantagenets. Mind, judging by the first episode, his smoking hot Norman wife would likely have done for him soon anyway.
                                                AtU died in 1016, around the same time as Cnut’s successful invasion to take the crown from Edmund Ironside, who doesn’t come off very Ironsided.

But that was like 12 years after the St Brices massacre, while the show makes it seem like it was pretty soon thereafter and makes the whole war a bit less complicated, I guess.

And AtU was supposedly 49 when he died. That’s my age. In the show, he’s 72.

I didn’t know there was a Queen Emma. I thought that was a modern name, like Kaitlyn or Jen.
                                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 28-02-2022, 01:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                  I didn’t know there was a Queen Emma. I thought that was a modern name, like Kaitlyn or Jen.
                                                  She was the first or, more likely, the first we know about.

Comment

Maybe some day we will have a King Connor and Queen Mackenzie. Or Jenna

Comment

Working...
                                                    X