Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

keepfighting1973... wrote:

I think HD TV needs to make its way to our house!
    Here you go KF73

Just to stop you going blind, you understand.

http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/matt-smith-karen-gillan-amy-pond/karen-gillan.jpg

Comment

Who?

(What cunt over on 40percent?)

The history of attractive companions goes back as near to the start of the programme's history as makes no difference. But like Phoebe says it's mostly to provide a counterpoint and something for audience identification (rather than to scream a lot and need to be rescued, even if many of them did a lot of that too).

Anyway, I seem to have been the only person anywhere to have preferred the third episode to the second one. I'm really looking forward to this week's.

Comment

Who?

Charlie Brooker has just hit the nail on the head by describing the new Daleks as 'furious crayons'.

Comment

Who?

Ha, I described them on another forum as Crayola dogs' cocks. Maybe that says more about me.

Comment

Who?

Taken as an afore-mentioned romp, I thought the last episode was okay - fast, lively and almost wearing a sign on its head saying that it musn't be taken seriously, although it also had that kind of feel that suggests a colourful kid's comic strip from the Seventies. You could almost see the speech bubbles and sound effects, which was a bit strange coming from Mark Gatiss, who's making a reportedly fair foray into writing novels - you think it might have been a bit more elegant than the simple adventure on screen. Also, the ridiculous space fight had too much of an Independence Day rip about it - I expected Randy Quaid's excruciating pilot character to turn up.

Smith's settling in very nicely to the role (the Jammie Dodger as explosive detonation device was a nice touch) and Karen Gillan is becoming quite a find. Must...stop...dirty...thoughts. However, I'm not such a 'story arc' fan and am beginning to find such bits like the 'lightcrack' a bit tiresome. It's as if we're supposed to keep a pad and pen by our sides and get ready for a quiz later. Yes, it means something. We get it. Thanks.

One more thing: Murray Gold has been a little less excruciating than usual in the last two episodes (although his power to annoy still emerges from time to time). Has Moffatt had a word or two?

Comment

Who?

My problem with the light crack is that it doesn't actually appear to be woven into the story at all. Yes the first episode was all about it but in the other two it was just stuck on something at the end of the episode. Thats not an overarcing storyline, thats just sticking a logo somewhere in each episode so you can make some ludicrous claim about a story arc in your final episode.

Either have a big story arc or have lots of cool one off stories that aren't connected. But you can't have both. Well I guess you can as the whole Bad Wolf thing was just as bad I suppose.

Comment

Who?

There's more than just the cracks going on though, there's also the apparently wrong date on Rory's hospital pass - which has got to have been deliberate - and Amy's not knowing of the daleks. Maybe such hints will become more germane to the stories as we go along, and maybe some of them won't even become apparent until after it's all done, but if nothing else it's already got me a little intrigued as to how he's going to resolve it.

Anyway, no spoilers for them that don't want them but there's a snippet of dialogue from tomorrow's episode preview which made me laugh. (Or at least, smile a bit):
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s8dwd

Comment

Who?

No ducks in the duckpond.

Comment

Who?

I was inclined to say a little more about Victory of the Daleks, but my spleen has abated because, to be honest, I find it hard to sustain dislike for any episode of Doctor Who that my kids enjoy, and they clearly loved this one to bits. So ultimately, who cares that it was a shoddily conceived and crafted apology of a story that laboured to provide an entirely redundant excuse for the return of the Daleks, and whored out the creature's redesign to the BBC's merchandising department? (Those who have mentioned the collectability of multicolured Dalek action figures are slightly wide of the mark, by the way - it's clear that the less elaborate casings are intended to be more easily rendered in the forthcoming 3D Doctor Who computer games.) It's all going to be good again for the next couple of weeks, so perhaps it's best to brush this one quietly under the carpet.

Comment

Who?

Although, just to be clear, and for the record - the Dalek redesign was absolutely fucking horrendous.

Comment

Who?

Lucy Waterman wrote:
                        No ducks in the duckpond.
                        So in other words, it was just a Pond

Comment

Who?

Have you subscribed to this, mumpo?

http://www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk/campaignforrealdaleks/ddesign.html

Comment

Who?

What was the biggest letdown for me in terms of Victory of the Daleks was that up until the point where the Daleks realised what they were, it had the potential to be a classic. Like Gattiss had actually sat down and thought about it.

Comment

Who?

I thought the Daleks always realised what they were, they just needed The Progenitor to recognise them and were remaining under cover until The Doctor made that happen?

Comment

Who?

But the Doctor's reaction to these helper Daleks was fantastic. It was really getting to him that they weren't behaving like they should. And the way if flustered him more and more was really well done.

And then it just turned into independance day.

Comment

Who?

Harry, if Mark Gatiss isn't going to put much thought into the plot, neither am I.

Anyway, tonight's. We've seen two parters fall on the second part before, but what we've seen so far is excellent.

Comment

Who?

We thought last nights was superb and have been trying to work out who Riverwhatsherface is. We think she picked up the Masters ring from a couple season back? Is she related to the Rani? We think she can't actually be the Rani for 2 reasons, 1 the Dr hasn't met her yet - which we found strange as she has pictures of him throught his timelines? But also, we are not really sure who the Rani is/was other than being an old woman in an old episode we half watched on DVD sometime!

Poor Amy has something in her eye - I am happy to volunteer to see what it is!?

Comment

Who?

Very quiet round here today. Does that mean I'm not the only person who thought that was sort of pretty good, but that's about it?

YMG loved it, but he's a bit less demanding than me.

Comment

Who?

I thought it was good, but waiting for part 2 for final judgement.

Comment

Who?

I had expected there to be a hailstorm of disapproval regarding the Over The Rainbow trail splattered on screen right at the most dramatic point of the programme.

Comment

Who?

I watched on IPlayer so I didn't get that. I saw some people moaning about something shit happening at the end on twitter and thought they were referring to something in the episode, so I was on tenterhooks for some terrible faux pas - which obviously never came.

Comment

Who?

I thought it was very good, meself.

Mind, the best bit was the very beginning, with the homing box and the "Hello Sweetie" in Old High Gallifreyan, sent as a message through time. That was superb, and nothing quite as clever happened afterwards.

But no, Purve, overall I really liked it.

Comment

Who?

I thought it was great (sorry, Purves). But I thought that of Silence in the Library too, and then Forest of the Dead didn't quite do it justice, so I'll wait for next week before getting too carried away.

So many nice touches in it though.

Comment

Who?

I thought it was good fun, but am still disturbed by how attractive Matt Smith is. He shouldn't be but he is.

Comment

Who?

Haha, I knew that was Mike Skinner in the opening sequence! Doctor Streets!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X