• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jason voorhees
    replied
    Re: New Year's Eve Special

SPOILERS BELOW
    SPOILERS BELOW

Loved the Groundhog Day thing, wonderfully executed for the most part....but I don't understand how they didn't "win" once Jeff tricked the two into shooting each other.

Pacing wise, it kind of ruined the rest of the episode. You go from the highest high, to the "let's work together and smash these mo-fos," to the plan all going wrong.

Then it got confusing with the plan they made not being a plan aspect.

The comedy was sharp, (loved the "Ex-Terminated!" line, along with "my friend said 'weirdoes with good hearts are keepers,'") and at least the ending was awesome.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    "Blink" was a properly scary old fashioned Dr Who episode, which was so popular that they felt they had to bring the Weeping Angels back. Then they didn't know what to do with them, in a series a rubbish storylines.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    I know it's cliche to complain about how they've devalued the weeping angels since their first appearance, but fuck me. They've gone from the most terrifying thing Dr Who has ever had, to something you can dispatch in a 30 second scene by smashing a games console.
    Were they that terrifying the first time they appeared?

They didn't kill, just cast people into the past?

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Meet you halfway with The Rani.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    This better not be the fucking Mara

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    I don't care about the Doctor's past. Stop looking back.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Every other fucking enemy is so presumably.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Have I missed him/her but is the Master going to be in this?

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    I know it's cliche to complain about how they've devalued the weeping angels since their first appearance, but fuck me. They've gone from the most terrifying thing Dr Who has ever had, to something you can dispatch in a 30 second scene by smashing a games console.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Red
    replied
    I quite enjoyed it. Quite, quite bonkers and half the time I didn't know what was going on. For the first time ever I'm thinking of rewatching a Chibnall series after it's finished, just to see how it all fits together.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    They've obviously decided to throw the kitchen sink at it, and hopefully something will stick.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Top pointless fact, during the Crimean War, Lord Raglan kept referring to the Russians as "the French", as he had essentially spent his entire active career fighting the French and it essentially got stuck in his mind that they were the enemy.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Mary Seacole isn't really a deep historical cut is she? Doctor Who history episodes really just show what people already know.

Also, British and French fighting the Russian's (Sontarans) not just the British.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    That was shit. Classic Jodie Doctor script, pacing and plot. As in shit script, shit pacing, shit plot. It felt like a million rubbish cartoons tipped into a skip full of northern-ness and stirred with a cappuccino whisk.

The only good bit was the weeping angel being properly scary again.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Does the Doctor like football? I don't see it. I think they'd be a bit sportsball-y

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Well that was confusing, and I still can't understand most of what Jodie Whittaker says, hopefully next week will make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    New season starts on Halloween apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I keep seeing articles about Russell T Davies's return that all assume he is going to save the show. Makes me wonder if Chris Chibnall feels disheartened by it all. There seems to be an underlying consensus that the Jodie Doctor series have been a failure.
    Does it need "saving"?

Leave a comment:

• TonTon
    replied
    I watched all of the last two seasons in a few weeks - had fallen off the Who bandwagon a while back during thingy from TTOI, so we went back to the beginning off the reboot and watched the whole lot, just finished. The last two seasons are the weakest writing, on a consistent basis - I mean, there's plenty of poor episodes and stories in the rest, for sure.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    I must say I stopped watching during Whitakers first run. Not consciously, I just found myself not really watching it anymore and then it’d been on the planner for 18 months, then I deleted it.
    Not her fault. I was perfectly happy with a female doctor - in fact I thought it was a great idea. But the actual character of her doctor was annoying. They had her trying to be a Northern Matt Smith when we needed something original or at least a more stoic Ecclestone type after Capaldi. But her doctor was not nearly as annoying as always having a team of idiots around her.
    Firstly, Piper aside I can’t think of a single companion who was already famous who made the show better. Secondly stick to one companion. Two at a push. (For example Rory was a total waste of screen time, despite Arthur Darville being a decent actor.) But binning Pearl Mackie for fucking Bradley Walsh? At least just go with the Ryan character OR the Yasmin character or both if you like but leave Bradley Walsh out of it.
    Anyway, it’s a children’s programme that has been occasionally thrilling since it came back. But I’ve not really missed it. There’s far better and less trite programmes about for adults and kids.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I keep seeing articles about Russell T Davies's return that all assume he is going to save the show. Makes me wonder if Chris Chibnall feels disheartened by it all. There seems to be an underlying consensus that the Jodie Doctor series have been a failure.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Moffat only ever had one theme - people waiting a really long time and getting old while waiting to be reunited with their loved ones. It got boring after a while.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    All I want is stories that are entertaining and make a bit of sense. As others have said, too much of the recent stuff seemed to be complicated for the sake of it.

Leave a comment:

• ooh aah
    replied
    As great as some of Moffat's individual scripts were (he basically wrote the best episode in each of RTD's seasons), I think RTD was a much better show runner overall.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    It was dreadful. Terrible scripts, weak storylines, an overarching plot that made no sense. Whitaker will go down as the most forgettable rubbish doctor ever. I don't think it's her fault though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X