Things you did as a kid that you want to do again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anything serious ever been written about vernacular football (for want of a better term)?

This is good place to start. It's something of a classic.

Comment

Wallies and Kerbies were popular with us as kids.
      My favourite was World Cup which was a game of every man for himself. After you scored, you were through to the next round - last to score was out ... first one out was keeper in the next game.

Comment

Wow, I'd forgotten all about that; surprising really, considering it was the most common game we'd play - we had enough imagination to call it "Knockout". There was "Royal Knockout", which involved scoring three goals to go through, and usually took too long to play at school.

And thanks for the tip AdeC, I might snap up one of those $1.38 copies..

Comment

We called Wallies "Slam" and but usually only played it when we didn't have enough for any sort of real game - 2 or 3, max 4 players.

We also played headers and volleys.

What Jorge called World Cup we called Wembley. Surpisingly this wasn't always dominated by the same players given the twin strategies of goal-hanging and relying on the goalie taking pity on you and booting the ball straight out to you.

Our games were remarkably civilised compared to the likes of dogbeak and bewaldeth. Southern softies.

On ganja's more general question, I wouldn't mind trying kite flying as an adult.

Comment

Yes, "Wembley". God, it's coming back to me now. I was always in goal very quickly, at Wembley.

(Sighs, remorsefully).

One of the joys of having kids is rediscovering things you used to do, as a kid. Walking around forest trails in the UK national parks where your path has been laid out by intermittent posts marked by coloured bands at their tops, for example. I loved doing that around Woodbury Common as a kid with my parents, and had forgotten all about them until I took my girls to a similar one at Grizedale last summer. Suddenly I was as excited about spotting the next yellow post as they were.

At what age does lying around in a park of a summer evening with some mates knocking back cider out of 3-litre bottles become acceptable again, I wonder? I spent most of my teens doing that, but people don't half give me funny looks when I do it now.

Comment

Going off for hours on my own, often fishing.

13 a side pick up games at the Rec, trying to avoid Mark Whitney in his hob-nailed boots.

Off the school bus and straight into tennis ball classics, normally with the score carried over from the previous day.

Going to the Micklemas Fair - a highlight of the year which shows how dynamic my childhood environment was.

Day trips to the coast.

Comment

I spent a couple of hours yesterday playing "60 Seconds" with some chaps, and it was a lot of fun, possibly more so than running up and down a five-a-side pitch getting fuck-off big burns on my legs.

I forgot to put it in my big reminiscipackage post (I had to be reminded of the rules myself), but it's essentially "Heads and Volleys" with the addition of counting.

Comment

Working...
                X