No announcement yet.

Brand names that don't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed. While not begrudging Lauren Laverne a penny of her BBC earnings, it rankles a bit that she is shilling for Sky on the side. I wonder whether Peel would have drawn the line at that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
      Unless it's a budget 10 pack from Tesco, then they just disintegrate: ice-cream, paper, the lot.
      The Asda ones didn't... at least, the ones we sold at the time I was working there. As I said upthread, they weren't actually chocolate. Maybe the carob has a protective quality.

One more thing: the cheaper the choc ice, the more yellow the ice cream which always struck me as odd. Vanilla ice cream has to be white - yellow is for banana.

Comment

Peel was a voiceover refusenik until he and Sheila had kids, then he did tons. But his peak voice job was a series about, literally, shit jobs called A Life of Grime.

Choc ices - Always a bit annoying that the chocolate coat split. Cornets - Always a mad race in the burning summer of 1976 to eat them before your hands were covered. Covering the cornet in paper was cheating. Sometimes the ice cream would hurt the teeth if too cold. The bubbly at the top was a bad idea because you'd always swallow it.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Spunk-Salty-L.../dp/B001O1MJ4Y

https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Spunkmey...tis+spunkmeyer

Comment

Right at the end, Satch.

*I jumped a page, and didn't see all the replies.
            Last edited by Gerontophile; 12-10-2017, 22:16.

Comment

I can't believe we've got this far without:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                  One more thing: the cheaper the choc ice, the more yellow the ice cream which always struck me as odd. Vanilla ice cream has to be white - yellow is for banana.
                  Curious – there's clearly a sort of mirror-image continuum, with white in the middle and yellow both ends. That is, when you get the 'proper', usually relatively expensive 'Cornish' stuff made with real cream, it tends to be quite yellow too. Look at the colour of this Wall's Cream of Cornish vanilla, for instance (sorry I can only find annoying 'stock photo' images):

Comment

The other end of “posh” or proper plain ice cream is italianesque vanilla gelato, white and lovely. Used to be a chippy that sold litre tubs of the milky muck 100 yards from the ancestral pile.
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-10-2017, 00:30.

Comment

Mmme WOM has asked me to mention the orange givrée, which she swears is the best.

As a fallback, the ice cream sandwich; chocolate biscuits with the vanilla ice cream between. Not the chocolate and chocolate.

Comment

I never understood why the oyster-shell wafer wasn't a bigger thang universally. Second-only to the cone in terms of ice-cream-eating-ease, IMO.

On the choc-ice ticket, Wall's had a range of the blessed things during that golden age of ice-cream confection, the 1970s:

There were also the Dark & Golden and the Coconut Nice, which are self-explanatory. (But - 'adults only', my ass. There was more alcohol in my breakfast today than in one of those Jamaica thingies...)

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                          I'm going for my Life in the UK test next week
                          Why? Surely you don't want to become part of this increasingly appalling country...

Comment

The packets of Cock Soup in our local grocers always make me smile. Not quite to the extent of making me want to learn how to put up pics though.

Comment

It's not hard...

Comment

GO, bit late for that I'm afraid!

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                  He was all over the voiceovers for every kind of ad back in the day.
                                  Only when Enn Reitel was too far away to cycle round on his bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    Why? Surely you don't want to become part of this increasingly appalling country...
                                    Everywhere is appalling in some ways and not in others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      I never understood why the oyster-shell wafer wasn't a bigger thang universally. Second-only to the cone in terms of ice-cream-eating-ease, IMO.

On the choc-ice ticket, Wall's had a range of the blessed things during that golden age of ice-cream confection, the 1970s:

There were also the Dark & Golden and the Coconut Nice, which are self-explanatory. (But - 'adults only', my ass. There was more alcohol in my breakfast today than in one of those Jamaica thingies...)
                                      I like rum and raisin (regardless of supposed alcohol content), though I bet there's an interesting range of e-numbers in those. I now have a real urge to try that Jamaica choc ice, but it's a weird reason to want to time travel, given that I could go back to the 70s to see the World Cup of 1974, the Sex Pistols at the Free Trade Hall, etc.

Comment

I couldn't care less what you choc ice fundamentalists say, stick or no stick, if it has chocolate around ice cream, it's a choc ice.

Anyone calling a choc ice with a stick an ice lolly needs their head examined. Ice lollies are frozen water flavoured with healthy choices such as cider, lager or blue raspberry.

Ice lollies.

Comment

Madness. A strawberry split or mivi was an ice lolly, so was Funny Feet and Feasts and those milky iced cylinders that came in vanilla strawberry or chocolate. A Magnum is just an ice lolly on HRT. Cos they all came with fucking sticks, ergo lollies.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-10-2017, 20:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            those milky iced cylinders that came in vanilla strawberry or chocolate
                                            Mini Milk.

Comment

That’s them, was going through Milk Bar, Milk Milk, nothing felt right. The plain ones were great.

Comment

I'm going for my Life in the UK test next week, I'd feel like a right chump if I failed all the choc ice questions.

I hope they don’t bring that shit in for Irish citizenship before I work out how to get round renting meaning I don’t have the necessary paperwork to prove my residence. Cos having a bank account and PRSI and income tax contributions for over 15 years obviously don’t prove anything). The paper would be half about GAA and mad culchie stuff like powdered soups, townlands and other madness, knowing your Ennis from yer Enniscorthy, would probably look for some basic Irish as well. I’d be stuffed.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-10-2017, 19:32.

Comment

Re: the oyster. I always wanted a "double nougat", but we were dirt poor, so only really got a cone. My brother bought me a wafer (ice-cream sandwich), and eventually I had a double nougat (which was like a wafer, but instead had a filling of nougat-y, walnut whip-y, sort of fondant x2. You could have had a single nougat, which was one wafer, one nougat.)

It were shit.

Comment

treibeis, it was forty pee when I learnt that song, I've just updated it for the kids. I'm in Hamburg this April, so look forward to complaining about the price of an Eis at your hut.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X