Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is automatic weapons

https://twitter.com/MichaelSkolnik/status/1056229748332994561
    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 28-10-2018, 20:59.

Comment

https://twitter.com/samdolnick/status/1056510801266257920

Comment

We Pittsburgh Jews Don't want your Thoughts and Prayers

From Haaretz.

"So many people - who know we live in Pittsburgh, and that we have called the Squirrel Hill neighborhood home for more than 40 years - thought about us, and wrote or called when they heard about the shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue. We have been moved and heartened by their concern.
        We told you, our friends and to our family, that we were safe, in the sense that we were fortunate not to be among the victims of Saturday's terrible hate crime.
        We are not really safe, of course, because this vile, murderous bigotry can - and has - hit all of our communities, especially those who are consistently "othered": People of color, Muslims, LGBT people.

The sentiments behind the worst anti-Semitic atrocity in American history have been legitimized and weaponized by cowardly, unprincipled political leaders who will now fall all over themselves to send their thoughts and prayers.
        Keep those facile words. Instead, show us some balls.
        Stand up to the purveyors of hate, instead of cozying up to them.
        Stand up to the NRA instead of licking their boots for campaign contributions.
        Stand up for our communities, our diversity, for the founding dream of our society and our country.
        That dream is missing, not lost, but it will take courage to find it again. Today’s victims, like others before them, deserve no less."

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          If I were going to boycott Fox advertisers, that would mean I'd have to boycott old peoples' homes in Florida, vendors of gold to the paranoid, emergency alarm systems for the scared elderly, VPNs for the paranoid, and pharmaceuticals for diseases linked to aging.
          That doesn’t appear to tell the whole story

https://twitter.com/lcdavis1/status/1056369147066703872?s=21

Comment

Did that dude just say that voting was less important than not buying something from someone who advertises on Fox News?

Comment

Well, given that companies respond to changing public sentiments waaaaaay faster than political parties do, he's probably right.

Comment

Particularly if you're in a safe seat.

Looking at the list of companies, there's barely one that the world wouldn't be a better place if you bought from someone else or didn't buy at all, even if it had no impact on Fox whatsoever.

Comment

That might make for a short term change, and I've become far more pessimistic about the effectiveness of political change through elections, but stop thinking that companies and the things we consume will do anything to help make your world a better place.

https://twitter.com/negaversace/status/617054288569860096?lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                    ...but stop thinking that companies and the things we consume will do anything to help make your world a better place.
                    No, no. Not at all. But if Tide thinks it'll have a boycott on its hands, maybe it'll stop funding hate-merchants like Fox (et al). Economic self-interest is a motivating factor when you have to answer to shareholders.

Comment

Did that dude just say that voting was less important than not buying something from someone who advertises on Fox News?
                      He said effective, not important.

Given the electoral college system that delivered Trump the presidency inspite of a 3 million vote deficit, he may have a point (except for those living in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and the like.)

Comment

The things Sarah Sanders says sound so detached from reality that I'm amazed anyone bothers to turn up to 'daily' briefings any more. They are literally nothing but insults to the intelligence of [nearly] everyone in the room.

Comment

Me and Mrs D were chatting to security at a work event last week as we'd noticed her lanyard said "close protection". Turns out she is indeed also a bodyguard for VIPs when she isn't standing in a Leeds doorway making sure no one takes their drinks out when they go for a smoke.

Anyway she's worked for the Trumps*, and unsurprisingly she said Donald is a complete dick behind the scenes as well as in front of the cameras. She practically spat on the floor talking about him.
                          More interestingly, she said Melania is a total sweetheart, very friendly and kind and totally worthy of sympathy.
                          It would be nice if she divorced/cuckolded him. Or castrated/killed, those are good too.

*They cropped up when she was discussing people who are different out of the spotlight to in.
                          A couple of WWE wrestlers I'd never heard of were said to be extremely nice even though their public personas are nasty. Simon Cowell is more of a Trump - a prick both sided of the line.

Comment

Jesus fucking Christ:
                            Trump told "Axios on HBO" that he has run the idea of ending birthright citizenship by his counsel and plans to proceed with the highly controversial move, which certainly will face legal challenges.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump said, declaring he can do it by executive order.
                            When told that's very much in dispute, Trump replied: "You can definitely do it with an Act of Congress. But now they're saying I can do it just with an executive order."

Comment

Nuremberg laws

Comment

The President can overturn constitutional amendments? Will be ruled so by SCOTUS in the future no doubt.

Comment

We've been wondering what the precipitating constitutional crisis would be, and I think we've found it. Assuming Mueller doesn't drop an indictment first.

Comment

This wouldn't be the first time he's said something and forgotten about it.

Comment

Very much so.

Let's see what happens to this after the midterms.

Comment

Yeah. I don't even think it's meant to appeal to his base. I think it's pure trolling. The goal is for his base to laugh at "libtards" being "triggered", rather than for his base to be excited about racist policy.

Comment

Yeah it strikes me as a midterm ploy, along with sending 5000 troops to the border to stop a caravan in southern Mexico.
                                          I'm sure it is. Doesn't mean he won't do it. He is, after all, sending the troops.

Comment

Do the Republicans have anything to lose from saying "vote for us in big enough numbers and we'll change the constitution"? Not that it would happen, of course.

Or is the constitution "sacrosanct"?

Comment

I think for Republicans it's sacrosanct. If you could change the constitution then all that originalist textualist bollocks would be shown to be meaningless. They really treat it like a religious text, to be venerated. You just need to listen to how they describe the "Founding Fathers" who are treated basically as deities, whose every word needs to be listened to, and whose original intent can't possibly be questioned...

That said, I think some of them might consider Amendments 11 onwards to basically be utter crap that should all be thrown out as they aren't part of the original holy text.

Comment

There has been a significant wingnut campaign in favour of a Second Constitutional Convention for years. The most popular proposed amendments from proponents have been those imposing a balanced federal budget and a blanket ban on abortion (though some proponents go further).

Given the inherent structures of US politics, it is much more likely that any such convention would be the result of petitions by 34 state legislatures, rather than a 2/3 vote in both houses of Congress. That said, any such campaign has a lot of hurdles to surmount, several of which are summarised in the link.

Comment

Thanks, as always.

Comment

That might make for a short term change, and I've become far more pessimistic about the effectiveness of political change through elections, but stop thinking that companies and the things we consume will do anything to help make your world a better place.

https://twitter.com/negaversace/status/617054288569860096?lang=en
                                                    That is a brilliant username.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X