• Show
Clear All

Remember when Peter Hitchens was relevant? Neither do I:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClarkeMic...34626123923456

Comment

Sorry to hijack, but 'The Poke' also has this to offer:

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/12/27...ery-christmas/

Comment

Ffs. The War on Christmas began in 16th/17th cent Scotland (1560 ban reinstated as soon as the Anglican-phile Jimmy the Sixth had passed and his idiot son Alec Guinness had fucked things up with Cromwell and the lads) when the Calvinists banned Christmas. New Years Day was the only festive holiday in Scotland till the 50s when Christmas stopped being a working day for everyone (when the various Scottish Unionist factions were formally subsumed into the English Tories). These Hitchens/Trump pricks live in a Dickens World pretend theme park.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 28-12-2017, 02:19.

Comment

We've started taking the decorations down. Now everywhere needs a good dust!

Comment

Mini eggs and chocolate bunnies are on sale in my local supermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
              Mini eggs and chocolate bunnies are on sale in my local supermarket.
              FFS, surely not.

Comment

I saw a creme egg display in an offy on Thursday.

Comment

One year, the Co-op across the road had their full Easter display out when they opened up on Boxing Day.

Comment

People behind me on the train into Sheffield just now were proudly talking of having booked their hotel for next New Years Eve.

Comment

Fresh hot cross buns in my local co-op yesterday.

Comment

All the gift sets should be half price in Boots tomorrow so a good time to get some cheap smellies

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                          Fresh hot cross buns in my local co-op yesterday.
                          Hot cross buns are a year round thing now, aren't they?

Comment

I've still yet to have my first.

Comment

Sorry to report the progress through Death by Treble Chance is slow and dull. There has been no mention of football or even the pools since the opening chapter. The only pleasures I'm finidng in it are occasional metaphors and similes which aren't always what you'd expect - the central character, a military man just back from Aden, orders an 'ice cold lager' which he describes as being 'as cold as a seal's nose.'

I'm probably not going to finish it and, much to Ms Felicity's disgust (she's a puritan about books) will keep the cover and give Oxfam back the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Hot cross buns are a year round thing now, aren't they?
                                Yes they are, but these were ones in the bakery with a short shelf life as opposed the to the shipped in long life ones.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                  I've still yet to have my first.
                                  The disappointment might actually kill you, they're that bland. A dry bread roll that may or may not have currants in it. If you toasted one atop your in-office toaster, it would be like eating a fistful of hardened sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                    Yes they are, but these were ones in the bakery with a short shelf life as opposed the to the shipped in long life ones.
                                    We have both all year round in Asda near me.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                      The disappointment might actually kill you, they're that bland. A dry bread roll that may or may not have currants in it. If you toasted one atop your in-office toaster, it would be like eating a fistful of hardened sand.
                                      I'd take this recommendation lightly. Good hot cross buns are lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                        I'm not allowed an in-office toaster anymore. Apparently the building is old (which it is) and the circuits overload easily. But I'll heed your good warning about the buns.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                          People behind me on the train into Sheffield just now were proudly talking of having booked their hotel for next New Years Eve.
                                          Happy Season ticket price increase day, LE!

Comment

I've had Christmas Pudding two days running. One from a hamper we got sent and one I bought for 50p in Morrisons as they cleared out their Christmas stock.

Comment

The Christmas Decorations are beginning to come down. But, as with every year, I never know when it has to be finished by.

Do they have to come down before twelfth night, or do they come down the day after?

And which night is the twelfth night? Is it the night of the 5th (12 nights including the 25th, but not Christmas eve), the 4th (include Christmas eve) or the 6th (exclude Christmas day, because that's separate from the 12 nights)?

Comment

Depends which country you're in/church you belong to, SB; depending who you listen to it could be the 5th, 6th or 7th of January, or the 17th if you're a Russian Orthodox person (or, according to Wikipedia, someone from south-west England, although I grew up in south-west England and this is the first I've heard of it).

The Church of England has it on the 5th.

Comment

I always thought it was January 6th.

Comment

I always liked the story about the pub in Portsmouth that didn’t take it’s Xmas decorations down until Pompey were knocked out of the FA Cup, though the club being in the lower divisions for so long has rather spoiled it. I wonder if they kept them up all the way to the final in 2008.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X