No announcement yet.

Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, especially as 97 of the 100 are the first reply reworded by someone who hasn't read the replies before posting their unique take on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
      Dredging this thread back up again as I have a twitter question.
      I'm not a tweeter (?) but I wind up there somewhat frequently these days, mostly because of links on OTF.
      How do people navigate it?
      Almost every time I follow a link from here, I have to click around a couple of times before I really get what I think people are linking to - links to twitter threads almost invariably send me to the middle of the thread, with a bunch of parts missing, then I have to click on one of the tweets that I can see to get everything, sometimes I have to do this a couple of times to get the whole thread. Sometimes there's a "show this thread" button at the bottom of a tweet, sometimes there isn't and even when there is sometimes it still doesn't show the whole thread. Often people put tweets that link to articles on here, if I want to get to the article sometimes I can click directly on that, sometimes I can't until I've clicked on the tweet again and only then the link becomes operational (this appears to be happening more frequently recently).
      I get similar. Like you, I'm not a Twitter user - I've got an account, but never us it, and only look at things that are posted on here. And I rarely bother to do that, as the whole site seems very user-unfriendly

Comment

Yep, same here.

Comment

You don't need an account to read things surely?

Only if they're protected, and then the owner has to grant you access?
          ​​​​​

Comment

I agree with most of the last few posts.

Comment

Dredging this thread back up again as I have a twitter question.
              I'm not a tweeter (?) but I wind up there somewhat frequently these days, mostly because of links on OTF.
              How do people navigate it?
              Almost every time I follow a link from here, I have to click around a couple of times before I really get what I think people are linking to - links to twitter threads almost invariably send me to the middle of the thread, with a bunch of parts missing, then I have to click on one of the tweets that I can see to get everything, sometimes I have to do this a couple of times to get the whole thread. Sometimes there's a "show this thread" button at the bottom of a tweet, sometimes there isn't and even when there is sometimes it still doesn't show the whole thread. Often people put tweets that link to articles on here, if I want to get to the article sometimes I can click directly on that, sometimes I can't until I've clicked on the tweet again and only then the link becomes operational (this appears to be happening more frequently recently).
              Don't worry about searching through Twitter. I'm pretty sure that every single tweet that has ever been made has at some point been linked to on the world board on here.

Comment

Someone on Twitter took the trouble to add a moustache to my profile picture yesterday.

Comment

I'm relieved. Very few women can pull off that Abe Lincoln look.

Comment

Twitter is fucking awful and I'm glad I binned it off years ago.

Comment

So yeah, so "I find it hard to follow a thread" is something I recognise, but also it is fundamentally not approaching the medium on its terms, and expecting it instead to be something it isn't and isn't intended to be. If you want only to read things that work like a message board, you are best to stay away from twitter, as it will just wind you up, for sure.

Comment

Is Twitter being weird for anyone else, or is it just my tablet? It keeps 'not responding' but I'm only having that problem with Twitter. I like to pop in there on breaks from work to see if trump has kicked off WW3 or more positively, if he's suddenly had a massive coronary and died.

Comment

Seems ok on my Android phone and laptop

Comment

OK, must be my (Android) tablet then. Thanks.

Comment

Yay, I got a hit by a twitter shit-storm for the first time yesterday. Surprisingly, it wasn't because I'd tweeted in the morning that Manchester City should be stripped of their 2012 and 2014 titles (though that got a bit of a reaction, mainly from a Lincoln fan who's also a Man. City fan and thought I was "better than that" - sadly, I'm just not, whatever "that" is). It was because I wrote a column this week for Soccer America on the fairly harmless and uncontroversial theme that coaches who instruct their teams to play brutal or intimidating football are rarely held to account, and there's no means to sanction them. I cited Payet crocking Ronaldo at the start of the Euro 2016 final (which wasn't even picked up on as a foul by the hopeless Mark Clattenburg) and St. Etienne defender Loic Perrin's brutal challenge on Mbapp? in the French Cup Final at the weekend. It was the third time in three games this season that St. Etienne had a player red-carded in the first half hour against PSG.

I didn't tweet a link to the piece, but Soccer America did, as is their custom. It got picked up on by St. Etienne fans who didn't like the fact that I mentioned in passing that Claude Puel hasn't won anything for 20 years and has a penchant for negative football. For that, I should fuck my mother, the whore (if you're mum's a whore and you fuck her, do you have to pay? I've often wondered). Both of my grandmothers are also whores (if only my family was that interesting). I'm a dumb Yank who doesn't know anything about football (maybe half right). I should stick to writing about basketball and baseball etc etc.

Luckily, I wasn't on twitter all day yesterday so by the time I looked this morning things had calmed down to my usual activity of nothing. SA had removed the tweet linking to my piece but the comments were all still there. Their site has been down all day and I'm a bit guilty that it might have been hacked by rabid St. Etienne fans.

Funnily enough, I've always had a soft spot for St. Etienne. Love their green shirts. Their lively fans were right below me when I saw them at Dijon last season and I thought thank God they were there, because the home fans barely squeaked.
                              Last edited by imp; 30-07-2020, 15:11. Reason: spelling error, which is intolerable

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                Yay, I got a hit by a twitter shit-storm for the first time yesterday. Surprisingly, it wasn't because I'd tweeted in the morning that Manchester City should be stripped of their 2012 and 2014 titles (though that got a bit of a reaction, mainly from a Lincoln fan who's also a Man. City fan and thought I was "better than that" - sadly, I'm just not, whatever "that" is). It was because I wrote a column this week for Soccer America on the fairly harmless and uncontroversial theme that coaches who instruct their teams to play brutal or intimidating football are rarely held to account, and there's no means to sanction them. I cited Payet crocking Ronaldo at the start of the Euro 2016 final (which wasn't even picked up on as a foul by the hopeless Mark Clattenburg) and St. Etienne defender Loic Perrin's brutal challenge on Mbapp? in the French Cup Final at the weekend. It was the third time in three games this season that St. Etienne had a player red-carded in the first half hour against PSG.

I didn't tweet a link to the piece, but Soccer America did, as is their custom. It got picked up in by St. Etienne fans who didn't like the fact that I mentioned in passing that Claude Puel hasn't won anything for 20 years and has a penchant for negative football. For that, I should fuck my mother, the whore (if you're mum's a whore and you fuck her, do you have to pay? I've often wondered). Both of my grandmothers are also whores (if only my family was that interesting). I'm a dumb Yank who doesn't know anything about football (maybe half right). I should stick to writing about basketball and baseball etc etc.

Luckily, I wasn't on twitter all day yesterday so by the time I looked this morning things had calmed down to my usual activity of nothing. SA had removed the tweet linking to my piece but the comments were all still there. Their site has been down all day and I'm a bit guilty that it might have been hacked by rabid St. Etienne fans.

Funnily enough, I've always had a soft spot for St. Etienne. Love their green shirts. Their lively fans were right below me when I saw them at Dijon last season and I thought thank God they were there, because the home fans barely squeaked.

If you think you've come on here for some respite just wait until laverte gets you in her crosshairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                  Is Twitter being weird for anyone else, or is it just my tablet? It keeps 'not responding' but I'm only having that problem with Twitter. I like to pop in there on breaks from work to see if trump has kicked off WW3 or more positively, if he's suddenly had a massive coronary and died.
                                  I get that error quite often on the rare occasion I look at Twitter on my phone. If you force the desktop site it should work.

Comment

Seems to be working on both my iPad and Android phone

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      If you think you've come on here for some respite just wait until laverte gets you in her crosshairs.
                                      Her co-fans have dissed my mum and my grandmas, so she's going to have to tell me what profession my great-grandmas were if she wants to cover some new ground.

Comment

i can't imagine how long the lockdown must have seemed for anyone who had to spend it in Saint-Etienne. i'm sorry you had to put up with the consequences of the supporters' boredom, frustration and general witlessness, imp.

i should like to blame Perrin's tackle on his inexperience of big games, because he's been with StE for 23 years. Did the referee initially show a yellow card? That would have been generous.

i do think our lads won the subsequent rugby scrum quite handily, perhaps they should think about retraining.

i'm glad i didn't watch the game. PSG have played in six consecutive finals, none of them has sounded entertaining. There needs to be a coup d'etat in Doha if anyone beyond the Francilienne is to give a shit about football again.

Comment

One advantage of my big workload this Fall is that it forces me to bin Twitter, hopefully permanently. I didn't access it during my travels and didn't miss it.

Comment

laverte That's very gracious of you to apologise, but I don't take these things personally. And it hasn't in any way dented my affection for the club (I'm sure the people of St. Etienne will be relieved to know).

Yes, the ref originally showed yellow then (correctly) upgraded it on review. The 21-man ruck reminded me of the Bundesliga re-start when, for the first couple of weeks, everyone declared themselves above such shenanigans because covid/life/death/perspective etc. Then it was quickly back to winning/chins out/manliness/pushing/shouting/gesturing etc.

The red was a real shame because St. Etienne could have had the game - PSG were on one of their off-form nights. I did write in the piece that it's understandable when a club like St. Etienne, having lost 0-4 and 6-1 to financially mighty PSG this season, take a 'robust' approach to the game. Perhaps that part got lost in translation.

(OMG, we're talking football in World...)

Comment

Gemma O'Doherty, the Irish Katie Hopkins, permanently suspended.

Comment

In the last few days almost every time I click on a twitter link on otf I get a "oops, something went wrong" message in twitter, but then when I click on the same link right afterwards it works just fine.
                                                Is this happening to anyone else, and anyone have any ideas why?

Comment

Yes, I'm getting that. No idea why.

Comment

In the last few days almost every time I click on a twitter link on otf I get a "oops, something went wrong" message in twitter, but then when I click on the same link right afterwards it works just fine.
                                                    Is this happening to anyone else, and anyone have any ideas why?
                                                    It's been happening to me as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X