No announcement yet.

Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, here's the Verge's reporting on the subject, which cites internal correspondence as well as unnamed employees.

Comment

https://twitter.com/henryfarrell/status/1587453231529353219?s=20&t=xPMP0loXP6YAK1PY_o4rcA

Comment

it is worth noting that is mostly non-Elon related and simply that everything has moved so quickly.

Comment

Like him being held to perform a contract to which he agreed voluntarily?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Like him being held to perform a contract to which he agreed voluntarily?
            I have no problem with continuing to point out that Elon is an annoying person who seems to take lots of important norms as being for the lolz. But the financing is mostly that rates and spreads blew out crazy versus the terms they agreed with him. The banks probably ought to have tried to back out for the lolz.

But US wide you are seeing leveraged buyouts not using as much leverage and massive amounts of goodwill being accumulated in bank deals.

Comment

Well, while that is certainly true, the banks were the ones climbing over each other to fund a fundamentally uneconomic deal, including buy doing absolutely nothing with regard to possibly spreading their risk.

What would have been funny is if they had insisted he perform on the syndication cooperation covenant only for him to turn around and say "Business Plan? You all knew I didn't have one."

Comment

As I was saying

https://twitter.com/alexvtunzelmann/status/1587387245148905473?s=61&t=pIHVm5BI88cAp-WKJKsVjQ

Comment

Point of order: the ticks are actually white.

Comment

Rarely is there a social product as polarizing as twitter is, and now the Chief Twit is finding even he isn't in touch with an idea that people will pay to create the content as a verified account. Plus the greater than 5% bots certainly won't pay up.

The only sensible move is to cut the R&D people as they are all clearly pretty awful, but then you need R&D for any chance of it working out.

Comment

Count me another person mystified that people don't curate their timeline to improve their experience.

I mean, I know you can go browsing, and sometimes I do, and it doesn't take long to find hate. But I rarely see it in my timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                        Point of order: the ticks are actually white.
                        Show's you how my mind works; I thought that this was in response to Balder's nit post...

Comment

A perspective

https://twitter.com/chrisfluming/status/1587521848392048640?t=8O3F8GKH4fzG3m8DBZye1Q&s=19

Comment

So Stephen King announced he'd be "gone like Enron" if Twitter tried to make him pay for verification, and the Muskrat started trying to haggle with him live on Twitter. He can't be enjoying this.

Comment

Musk was probably joking, but he's absolutely terrible at what we humans call "humour".

Comment

You just know that someone is telling Musk that Twitter users feel the same strength of emotion about him that Tesla owners do. Except they whisper the "strength of" bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  Musk was probably joking, but he's absolutely terrible at what we humans call "humour".
                                  Except that he announced the USD 8/month price he threw back at King as the "new policy" a few hours later.

The chances that the site becomes an Elon fanboy circle jerk are increasing at pace. Truth Social with better tech and a different cult leader.
                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 02-11-2022, 12:38.

Comment

This is such an obvious massive disaster. Cyclothemia can be a real problem when there are no restraints on your behaviour.

I am slightly amused that people are now getting upset about twitter being owned by a tech billionaire with dubious political views, a business model worryingly reliant on allowing all sorts of dubious political traffic for volume, and the worrying role of saudi arabia and qatar in the ownership. This was also largely true a month ago. There have been so many problems with this site since the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      There have been so many problems with this site since the beginning.
                                      One assumes they also employ people to make the user interface easier or more navigable somehow. I wonder what they fill their days doing.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

One assumes they also employ people to make the user interface easier or more navigable somehow. I wonder what they fill their days doing.
                                        When you are that big, it's simply keeping the site up and running.

Comment

Tee hee.

https://twitter.com/isaiah_bb/status/1587818353837629443

Poor ol' Muskrat just wants people to like him, and it's not going to happen.

Comment

He seems to have been told that it won't work without moderation because anyone with money will run a mile from the ramping up of fascism. So now of course the fascists think they've been misled.

Comment

https://twitter.com/vossbrink/status/1588156386290049024?s=20&t=Kg6Y4f6YqZCqYmcePwa-_Q

Comment

This seems to be as much of a description of the world cup as anything else. I worry that this Qatar business is going to do fundamental damage to the tournament. I reckon this happened to Facebook in maybe 2016, but didn't really matter, because all the early adopters who were in their early 30's had been replaced by boomers, who are advertising gold dust. Maybe its time to check in to see how rolling out the metaverse, to a user base over 60 is going

Comment

The World Cup is increasingly running on nostalgia and nationalism, isn't it?

It built it's prestige and brand at a time when there wasn't even much domestic football on TV in most countries, so it was a chance to see players and styles that one would otherwise never see. But now anybody can watch pretty much any match from anywhere and the best players from around the world are concentrated in a pretty small group of mostly European clubs.

There are a lot of fans - in other sports too - that insist that international sports "should" be the highest level of the game and that the rest of the sport should accommodate that, but I am increasingly of the view that that's just not true.

For one, it's objectively not the highest quality football. Maybe it used to be. But it isn't any more. Diluting the finals field with more teams is only making it less so.

And I've come to see that there's no good reason to just assume that fans or players should care more about their national team than their local one or even one that's local to somewhere else. It's all just rooting for laundry. It's just one of those assumptions that people trot out based on nothing more than circular logic or, worse, rank nationalism and there is no guarantee that younger people will feel the same way about national teams.

Comment

I find it inherently weird that Fox is spending tens/hundreds of millions of dollars promoting it to a "new" audience just at the point where interest among the "traditional" audience is waning.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X