X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corb Blimey!

Lucy Waterman wrote:
    Originally posted by Calvert
    I'd like to ask Lucy if he feels Corbyn should've buttoned his collar fully and sang the national anthem to avoid giving the nest of vipers more excuses to criticise him?
    Well, it wouldn't have killed him.
    Trouble is when he does play the game (e.g. kissing the Queen's hand or whatever it was he did), he then gets accused of being a hypocrite.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Etienne wrote: What factors have influenced your floating, pebble?
      In short, my own circumstances. I earn 15000 a year and am struggling, but I'm glad to be back in work. I would like the Labour party to be in charge, as they are most likely to help improve my lot, and electing Corbyn has lowered the chances of this happening. I'm not and will never be politically active, but like the majority of people, I just want the best for myself, my friends and my family. Sorry to be selfish, but that's the way it goes.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Jimski wrote:
        Originally posted by Lucy Waterman
        I'd like to ask Lucy if he feels Corbyn should've buttoned his collar fully and sang the national anthem to avoid giving the nest of vipers more excuses to criticise him?
        Well, it wouldn't have killed him.
        Trouble is when he does play the game (e.g. kissing the Queen's hand or whatever it was he did), he then gets accused of being a hypocrite.
        Well, someone making his case would probably help too.

I really can't get interested in defending Corbs not doing his shirt up and singing a song. Battles need to be picked.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Well, you wouldn't because you think he should abandon his long-held convictions in order to appease the cunts of the press.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I hope the British left takes the approach that I've so far seen on Facebook, which is to not worry about doing up shirt collars and instead just point out repeatedly that the right-wing and establishment media appear to be having a complete and utter breakdown over something totally trivial.

Rather than appeasing these maniacs who think not singing a song (about a deity and a monarch) somehow disrespects people who flew aeroplanes 75 years ago, instead point out that they're completely and utterly bonkers and appear have lost their gourd over something meaningless.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

It's something that can only lose you more votes than it gains. What's the point?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

San Bernardhinault wrote: I hope the British left takes the approach that I've so far seen on Facebook, which is to not worry about doing up shirt collars and instead just point out repeatedly that the right-wing and establishment media appear to be having a complete and utter breakdown over something totally trivial.
                I don't see it as a breakdown, as that suggests loss of control. It is relentless attack. It is just what they do.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

It was more of a worry that he's not got the benefit cap policy agreed with the shadow DWP ministers he's just appointed. Didn't he have enough to say at the TUC already?

It's a bad policy and should be got rid of, but doing that probably needs some care. It's popular even in Scotland.

It disproportionately hits parents with children under school age. Unless some moral change is taking place in parents when their kids turn four, it looks very much like lack of childcare is a big factor.

It could be set much more clearly in that context, and be more persuasively argued for.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

It's made all the more difficult, it must be said, by supposed leftists calling for him to kiss privileged ass because it wouldn't kill him.
                    It certainly wouldn't kill them to point out the ridiculousness of the situation at every opportunity instead of agreeing g with the Sun readers that he's a 'loony'

Comment

Corb Blimey!

The ridiculousness of the situation where Corbyn will swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen in private (indicated by his willingness to join the PC) but won't sing her song?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Lucy Waterman wrote: It's something that can only lose you more votes than it gains. What's the point?
                        Oh god.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Lucy Waterman wrote: The ridiculousness of the situation where Corbyn will swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen in private (indicated by his willingness to join the PC) but won't sing her song?
                          Yes, and I'll bet he did that through gritted teeth, but hey, that's the system that you don't seem to want to challenge.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Calvert wrote:
                            The ridiculousness of the situation where Corbyn will swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen in private (indicated by his willingness to join the PC) but won't sing her song?
                            Yes, and I'll bet he did that through gritted teeth, but hey, that's the system that you don't seem to want to challenge.
                            Well no. Because it's pointless. Anyway, what do you mean, "I'll bet"?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

As I always say, look at the SNP. When they got serious, they shut down this sort of distraction. They don't get a much better press than Corbyn (and just as much of it's bollocks, though there are plenty of very fair points to make about them). But at least they make the media work a bit harder.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

It's 'pointless' having a deeply-held conviction that privilege through birth is unfIr and undemocratic?

If only the ANC had had your morals.

'I'll bet' is pretty straightforward - it means ' I think' that Corbyn wasn't best pleased with having to swear undying allegiance to an anachronism he doesn't believe in, but did it anyway because,rather unfairly, he had to.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Calvert wrote:
                                  It's something that can only lose you more votes than it gains. What's the point?
                                  Oh god.
                                  Is it appalling to suggest that the leader of the opposition should be trying not to piss people off for no good reason?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Calvert wrote: It's 'pointless' having a deeply-held conviction that privilege through birth is unfIr and undemocratic?

'I'll bet' is pretty straightforward - it means ' I think' that Corbyn wasn't best pleased with having to swear undying allegiance to an anachronism he doesn't believe in, but did it anyway because,rather unfairly, he had to.
                                    He wasn't in any way obliged to join the PC. He chose to support privilege through birth on that occasion.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Is it appalling to suggest that people really shouldn't get worked up about something so astonishingly trivial?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Lucy Waterman wrote:
                                        Oh god.
                                        Is it appalling to suggest that the leader of the opposition should be trying not to piss people off for no good reason?
                                        Of course, that's what he intended to do.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

San Bernardhinault wrote: Is it appalling to suggest that people really shouldn't get worked up about something so astonishingly trivial?
                                          No, I agree with you. But given that they will, why give them the chance?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Lucy Waterman wrote:
                                            It's 'pointless' having a deeply-held conviction that privilege through birth is unfIr and undemocratic?

He wasn't in any way obliged to join the PC. He chose to support privilege through birth on that occasion.
                                            Well, it would appear that he can't win either way with your logic. He compromises and you call him a hypocrite, he sticks to his principles and he's a loony.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

No, bollocks. He should have sung the song and sworn the oath or done neither. He'd have got slagged for doing neither, but he'd have looked a little less daft.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Nonsense.
                                                He'd have been hammered for doing either and he has been.
                                                That's the right-wing media agenda at work.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

My dentist (the only neutral person I've chatted to today) is impressed that he didn't sing and isn't pretending to be something he's not.

Miliband bent over backwards to please and still got slaughtered for "looking funny".

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Aye, a nice photo of Corbyn holding up a copy of the Sun should garner a few votes and keep Murdoch onside.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X