• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
    The tories
    If only

Comment

Tubby & Gonzo- the figures I quoted were for a single ward (3500 voted) in the last Council election. In the GE the Tories won Stourbridge and next door Dudley South and Halesowen with large majorities (16, 20 and 12%)

Comment

So what was the point of quoting one ward then...
        Plus you misspelled at least one word in your previous post.
        Last edited by Dav O'Roso; 25-02-2018, 12:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Why did Bradley cave so quickly?
          Cos he's too much of a coward to call Corbyn's bluff

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
            Sighting confirmed. I love that he's going strong on a 'law and order' ticket. Who'da thunk it?
            Tbh had an inkling Corbyn would pivot in a reactionary direction once he got closer to power.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
              Cos he's too much of a coward to call Corbyn's bluff
              Why "call Corbyn's bluff"? Bradley was bang to rights. Corbyn has access to lawyers- the only reason why more people don't sue.

As for this "let's get rid of the police" schtick what are your proposals- armed soviets? He';s not going on a law and order ticket, he's running on public spending cuts. The police Cuts are one part of that- so are youth service cuts, benefit cuts, cuts to legal aid, youth prison cuts, probation service cuts, and privatisation, privatising the forensic service and much much else.

Comment

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/new...n_Stourbridge/

Comment

Ben Bradley in a previous life. This wasn't true either.

Comment

Police are absolutely part of the problem, not the solution. Of course Corbyn, as a social democrat, likes to think that you can have nice policing. Putting that nonsense idea to one side, though, I am intrigued by the idea that there is some positive relationship between police numbers and crime levels. Where's the evidence?

Comment

are you saying that there will be is no crime or policing in a worker's state?

.There's a summary of the research here however all of these occur within limits- nowhere has had no police - where there are fewer police they tend to be withdrawn from working class areas except when aggressively targetting residents. Where are police stationed and what are they prioritising is political. research shows that community policing reduces the fear of crime
                      Last edited by Nefertiti2; 25-02-2018, 15:14.

Comment

“Working class areas...aggressively targeting residents”
                        You’re making TonTon’s point for him, there Nef

Comment

i don't think I am.
                          The point I made is that when there are fewer police they are more likely only to be used aggressively on raids in working class areas and rather than providing a presence which the majority of people still find reassuring.
                          The recent moped thefts in areas of London for example would IMO be less likely with an ongoing police presence.

Comment

Interesting to see that there is at least some attempt now to provide some evidence. Not sure how well any of it stands up, but it's better than nothing.

Comment

Corbyn doing "funds returned from Brussels".

Not good enough.

Comment

I don’t usually have much time for Matthew D’Ancona, but I think this analysis is right

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                  Tbh had an inkling Corbyn would pivot in a reactionary direction once he got closer to power.
                                  The UK is an extraordinarily authoritarian country in many ways though. You have a quarter of the world's cctv cameras. The Labour party is still shot through with a strong streak of the methodism of a lot of its early founders. It's easy to forget all of the pointless bullshit that Blair got up to when he should have been fundamentally restructuring the UK state, economy and society.

Tbh I'm pretty sure you can have nice policing, and if it's difficult to achieve, it's an important thing to aim for. You just need to have appropriate laws, (don't have them follow laws aimed at targetting young people of colour for example) and not be using them to "fight a war" on various topics. The Key is that You just need to ensure adequate independent supervision, and no-one has bothered with that aspect of it yet. It's amazing how people's behaviour changes when they know they're going to have to explain their actions to someone.

Comment

You have a quarter of the world's cctv cameras.
                                    That's likely no longer true, if it was ever true at all. The most commonly quoted figures were based on, you won't believe this, two roads in SW London.

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...s/2291167.html

I think that's where the scarcely credible figures come from. They're very persistent. See here for example, a tech article saying China has 176 million cameras, but Britain has 1/5 of the world's total. That would men Britain had 44 million, even if there weren't any others in the world.

https://technode.com/2017/11/22/chin...ithin-3-years/

The likely bollocks figures based on 2 roads in SW London came up with 4.2m.

Comment

In fairness to Corbyn, there've been hints from his team that they'll reduce imprisonment. That would be a meaningful progressive change.

Comment

Much better stuff from Corbyn just now on immigration and refugees than we've been hearing during the Brexit negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                          Corbyn doing "funds returned from Brussels".

Not good enough.
                                          Was this actually said? I didn't catch it, but I was only watching summarys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                            Much better stuff from Corbyn just now on immigration and refugees than we've been hearing during the Brexit negotiations.
                                            Credit to them for that. Lots of credit.

Comment

Sad to hear of the death of Simeon Andrews, who helped keep the Labour left show on the road in the dank times of the late Noughties, helping a sprightlier new generation emerge. One of them, that 12-year-old one off the telly, has written a nice tribute here.

Comment

Corbyn's measured response to the poison attack has upset a whole bunch of the usual suspect Labour MPs - who are tabling an EDM so that they can be seen to be firmly behind the Government - and large parts of the press. He really is magnificent sometimes.

Comment

Well, Yvette Cooper has previous for voting for the Iraq War and against seeking more evidence as a justification.

Comment

On the other hand she hasn't stuck Milne and Murray in her office.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X