Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corb Blimey!

Corbyn was shown Pokemon, at the end of an interview, and asked to play it. He didn't seem that interested, but showed he was game. Then the Telegraph runs some story about how he's "playing Pokemon in the park" instead of saving the world.

Smith is a dead duck and unless the NEC plans on shooting the membership, Corbyn will win easily.

I've had an email from Caroline Flint, who I used to like, asking me to sign up anyone I can to join Labour and vote Corbyn out. She got a polite but unequivocal reply.

Game on.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Claude Moreas MEP emailed* also, and said how he'd campaigned alongside Corbyn on the Remain campaign.

The Leave vote took everyone by surprise and many working class people are convinced the EU is a club for the rich. I doubt anyone could persuade them otherwise, and MPs are supposed to listen to their constituents.

* bulk mailout, his regular newsletter.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Satchmo Distel wrote: What is the point of this challenge if Corbyn is on the ballot and clearly has majority support among members?
        Well, if the number of people I saw have doubts over Corbyn due to Thangnam Debonnaire and Lillian Greenwood's statements yesterday, they're looking for death by 1000 cuts.

Or, for a wilder theory, it's shit or bust for a lot of them. If they lose, a split is inevitable, they can set up a party, take most of the private donors with them, and most importantly, the new party would be debt free. Leadership contests cost a lot of money to run. If they lose the contest, they lose the party. Why not trash it on the way out?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

johnr wrote:
          Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
          Originally posted by johnr
          Owen Smith is a normal guy.

Useless.
          He's just saying a bit about himself. By the same logic, he's saying people who haven't worked in politics and business aren't normal.

How likely is it he thinks "I'll put in a sly dig at Eagle being a lesbian, that'll help"? There's not even an election between them- they'll decide together tmrw.
          Of course he is, I was just being as hysterical about him as others are about Corbyn.
          Ah, very good point, well made. Sorry.

You've kept much cooler than I have, and I appreciate that.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

David Agnew wrote:
            Originally posted by Satchmo Distel
            What is the point of this challenge if Corbyn is on the ballot and clearly has majority support among members?
            Well, if the number of people I saw have doubts over Corbyn due to Thangnam Debonnaire and Lillian Greenwood's statements yesterday, they're looking for death by 1000 cuts.

Or, for a wilder theory, it's shit or bust for a lot of them. If they lose, a split is inevitable, they can set up a party, take most of the private donors with them, and most importantly, the new party would be debt free. Leadership contests cost a lot of money to run. If they lose the contest, they lose the party. Why not trash it on the way out?
            I don't think a split is certain. It's not going to get easier for Corbyn having no frontbench. Mind you, I can't say there won't be rump who'll be so stupid they leave and die on their arses.

Private donors want to back winners. Whatever else the Labour right look like, it's not winners.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Satchmo Distel wrote: Did the Trident vote split down Corbyn and anti Corbyn lines or was there some opposition from centre and right of the party?
              Three way split.

It was one of these votes held just to show divisions in the other side- nothing was decided by it. The Foreign Affairs and Defence spokespeople are Corbyn allies and wanted an abstention for that reason. I think this is the way to go with these show votes- would the public be happy with this time being wasted (when good stuff routinely runs out of time in the Commons)? I'd guess not. That point could be made very forcefully and I'd hope it would stop.

There were always going to be MPs voting for it, so Corbyn gave all a free vote.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Eagle quits.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Good riddance, daft woman.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

With a bit of luck she'll soon have to drop out of being an MP, too.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Wonder what she will do with her Aaaaaargh pop up banners.

The Eagle Has Floundered.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Are Labour nominating peers at the moment? Eagle could be a good call for that.

Given the gratuitous dislike on both sides, they'll probably prefer a bloody reselection on principle.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Patrick Thistle wrote: Wonder what she will do with her Aaaaaargh pop up banners.

The Eagle Has Floundered.
                          She's not an eagle, she's a fucking horse.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

We are staying classy, remember.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Thick Of It reference.

Jamie: Are you a horse?
                              Cliff Lawton: Sorry?
                              Jamie: Are you a fucking horse?
                              Cliff Lawton: Um... dunno... what you mean... wh...
                              Jamie: Are you a fucking horse?
                              Cliff Lawton: Ok... No I'm not a horse.
                              Jamie: Are you sure?
                              Cliff Lawton: I'm sure.
                              Jamie: You got a pretty fucking horsey face, and a bit of a horsey wife... are you a fucking horse? Are you?
                              Cliff Lawton: Ok, leaving the wife aside for a second...
                              Jamie: Are you a horse?
                              Cliff Lawton: No...
                              Jamie: EXACTLY!
                              Cliff Lawton: -Categorically say I'm not a horse
                              Jamie: You're not a fucking horse. You're no horse, and you're not a stalking horse. You are the real thing. We will ram you up Tom's arse so hard that he will have to shit out of his lying mouth.
                              Except she is a horse.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Owen Smith, FFS. I know he has fans on here from before but what a tedious areshole he seems. Even if he is a barnstorming leader against all odds or evidence, he would be subject to EVEL as a Welsher, I'm sure the Tories would make hay with that.

You really think THAT not above homophobic dog whistling looks like a Rotary club member equals electable? There's no solution now, maybe Smith should just go full Ramsay MacDonald and take half the PLP onto the Tory benches.

EDIT: ok the homophobic thing was bollocks, maybe. He's still as inspiring as a dried snotter on a new suit but.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Eagle was ill-advised or hubristic. John Redwood looks a genius by comparison.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Hasn't EVEL been sorted out now? There are only 40 Wales MPs anyway and 28 or 29 would be very good for Labour. And Wales isn't so poisonous in England as Scotland.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

If he waffles on at all it'll be welsh windbag shite all over the Sun again like Mr Shite never resigned in '92. I've never got the English/Welsh media dynamic though. Seems the last ethnic group you can describe as subhuman and everyone just has a giggle (cf Clarkson, Anne Robinson).

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Are they actually still an ethnic group or one that got diluted by intermarriage with Anglos, and gradually became linguistically absorbed into English barring a minority of Welsh speakers?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Are we now pretending that Smith wasn't being a homophobic dog-whistling scumbag?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I don't think you'd get a Tory politician doing a "hilarious" Welsh accent now, like Hestletine did in 92. And Smith doesn't sound as Welsh as Kinnock. Anybody who doesn't get immediately identified with Islington would be a positive at the moment.

It'll take something big to shift the Tories. It could be austerity (though they cut that back when they needed to last time) or it could be Brexit. I want somebody leading labour who can hammer them on that, and not have the Tories and public shouting "Like you gave a fuck!"

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I'm not sure a pure ethnic group by that sort of definition exists anywhere, certainly not in these isles. Most folk on these islands have a large amount of DNA that predates any of the Indo European language groups.

But if enough people believe in an imagined identity, it becomes true to them and their neighbours. Just look at how the slav speaking peasants in Hungary's old spiritual home became Slovakia. Or indeed how 4 or 5 linguistic/cultural groups coalesced over time into being self identified Scots through external pressure and invasion (from Viking times to the Longshanks invasion).

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Are we now pretending that Smith wasn't being a homophobic dog-whistling scumbag?
                                                I sure as hell hope not.

That was appalling even by our abased standards over here.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

TonTon wrote: Are we now pretending that Smith wasn't being a homophobic dog-whistling scumbag?
                                                  Reading the last few pages there I felt yep he mightn't have meant it and I was too quick to grab my bigot stick (unless he is a total cunt and more devious than he looks). Still shows an amazing lack of word control and media idiocy if a mistake. And of course, they're after Corbyn cos he doesn't know how to do good interview.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X