Comment

How'd you meet your other half?

Cock Tavern, Mare Street, London E8.

Comment

Cock and Mare. Very good.

Comment

OTF is *so* uxorious it's just not true. Bless all of you.

My other half grew on me over the last ten years or so, in fits and starts, but I would say I was now 50% heavier than I used to be. So I now carry my other half, every biscuit/piece of chocolate/pint of beer I ever consumed, everywhere with me, hanging off my skeleton, pale, wobbling, cratered in places, draped all round like a shroud of blubber.

Comment

TPC story is amazing. I love that romantic 'if she'd have left a minute earlier' kind of stuff, though if I were her husband in Minnesota, I'd obv. have a different view.

Comment

I met my lovely wife in a now closed Irish pub in Geneva's old town. It was a thursday night in april 94, I went out for not particular reason, did not dress to impress and was not in a "playa" frame of mind. I was standing with my mates, observing a table of Irish au-pair getting noisily drunk. Only one girl seemed pretty quiet and she was by far the prettiest. At some point she left and I grabbed her seat, smiled at the Irish girls and acted casual (not much of a push really, I was a bit knackered and I was quite glad I could sit down). The quiet girl came-back, ever the gentleman, I stood up and gave her back her sit. She invited me to share it and as her bum was against mine, I thought I might as well have a chat. After a bit, we elicited to move upstaires in a quieter area to carry on chating. As I was not at all interested in anything serious, I made sure she liked football, enjoyed good food and had a motor. She did and she had. I was separated, she had a boyfriend back in England but Geneva was far away. Our first date was for a football game and the first time she came at mine, she loved the ripe Camembert I had on the table...It had to happen really...

Years later she told me she had serious doubts at first when she saw I was wearing a pair of low-cut cowboy boots and she thought I was Norwegian...

Comment

1890, I still have nowhere to live!

Comment

Do you absolutely have to move out on that day? Is the flat being sold?

Comment

I met my wife in the accounts department of Earls Court Exhibition Centre where we both worked as credit controllers.

Considering I was the singer in a punk band at the time and she had just been sacked by Alexander O'Neal's promoter, we should have had a more interesting start than that

Comment

Pissed up, blethering about the Labour party, in a hotel bar. Could've happened earlier, could've happened later - as is often the case (Both the getting it together thing and the drunkenly droning on about politics thing).

Comment

Congratulations, Hobbes, old chap!

:-)

Comment

Stories like TPC's make me afraid to get married. Everytime my wife went on a business trip, I'd think of TPC's story.

Comment

My parents met when my dad was interviewing my mum for a job working for a refuge in London. He wanted to go for the other candidate, but was persuaded by the other interviewer to go with my mum. And things went from there.

I'm currently single, and none of my past relationships began interestingly.

Comment

I have a fairly good story about how the build-up reached its climax (hur hur), but I can't tell it here. But the first time I met G-Woman, at her sister's place, I fancied her but thought she was very rude. Even though as she kissed everybody around the table hello, she asked whether she could kiss me hello too. Which was nice.

Soon after we were at a Hawaii-themed party at which I was DJing. She looked extremely sexy in her little green bikini. I flirted with her and everything seemed to go well until my brother arrived. Thing is, virtually every woman I had ever fancied who'd meet my brother would go for him instead of me (at least, that's how it seemed to me). And the fucker decided that G-Woman was his target for a last fling before he left SA. He noticed that I was getting annoyed at that, and offered to lay off the girl in the green bikini. I told him: "You're fucking off soon; you do your thing and when you're gone I can actually pull unimpeded by you." Or words to that effect. To his credit, he stopped flirting with the girl in the green bikini.

Later I learned that G-Woman had no interest in my brother anyway, apparently because he has ugly feet and I have very nice feet. We met on two occasions before we hit it off, by which time it had seemed to me she didn't particularly like me. She now says she was just checking me out before making her move. And her move she made in a story I won't place on public record.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                Do you absolutely have to move out on that day? Is the flat being sold?
                                No not at all, the husband is keeping the flat (and Hobbes ). It's just that I've got to be at a welcome meeting there on the 12th. If I have to stay in the youth hostel for a bit, no big deal really.

Comment

Me and her housemate crashed in to their shared house in Guildford, pissed out of our minds at about 12 at night and whilst I waited for a taxi she walked past me on her way to bed. I made some hilarious witticism (I thought) about her pyjamas. She thought I was "an arrogant tosser" (her words on retelling the tale to others).

Our first civil exchange was over a cup of coffee in Starbucks, Guildford. I fucking hate coffee and I'm not mad on Starbucks either, so it goes to show that a turn around in attitudes on both parties had occured by then. I'm glad I spotted her walking back to town and ran after her that day.

Comment

Hey Lyra, reading between the lines on this thread does that mean that you've split up from your husband? I'm sorry if that's true. And I can truly commiserate as I've just split up from my gf of 12 years too. Looks like she's keeping the flat as well.

Comment

Another match.com miracle. After several bizarre or disastrous match.com starts, met up in a bar, drank a bottle of wine, went for some food. Next day she phones and asks me over for dinner. 2 years later, we've bought a flat together and are very happy. Trite and simple. But it works.

Comment

Sorry to hear about both your troubles.

PM for you Jon.

Comment

Having quit a well-paid but unsatisfying job in London, I went to Italy for a year and then to Edinburgh to become a student again. She was the very first person I met there. We were on the same course and she'd just quit a well-paid but unsatisfying job in London to become a student again. Four years later we're living together and are both about to finish our PhDs (she's actually going to submit either tomorrow or Friday; me in a month or two).

Comment

Having quit a well-paid but unsatisfying job in London
                                            Does not compute...

Comment

I don't think I've ever recounted the actual story of how me and Spangles got together, but seeing as a few of you know anyway I may as well spill it.

It's October 2006 and I've been fucked about by yet another girl, this one who strung me along for about three months before telling me she was going out with someone else. This tawdry affair played out over on 40%, where I had visited on the promise of hot girls talking about filthy sexy things on a daily basis. But not only were they horn monsters, a couple of them started emailing me to chat about what happened and relationships in general (Spangles herself at this point had just been messed around by chap in a particularly hurtful manner); OTF's very own Lyra and Spangly Princess. Both of them were great and helped me banish all thoughts of tousled-haired big-titted girls from Kirkby to the back of my mind. 'Hmm,' I thought to myself. 'I wonder if these two are hot?'

Later that month there was the now (sort of) legendary OTF/40% meet up at the Glasshouse Stores in the West End of London. I'd been interested in meeting Lyra and Spangles, mainly to say thanks, but also because I wanted to brutally and reductively objectify them. In the meantime Spangles had asked TonTon about me, wanting to know whether I was hot or not, to which he apparently pissed himself at the thought of us two together (as well as telling her that I was). So I meet Lyra and Spangles, as well as other nice people, get nicely drunk and start to head off home, as it was Monday night and I had to catch the last train home. Next thing I know Spangles has blocked the pub doorway. 'Stay out!' she slurs. Bu I have to get home, I explain. 'Stay round Tubby's! That's what we're doing.' Tubby nods a knowing nod.

Four hours later I'm sitting on the kitchen floor of Tubby's house listening to chat about the reformation, with Spangles' drunk head resting on my thigh (this was apparently a clear signal, not the actions of someone who'd been drinking for eight hours solid). People file off to bed/couches/floors and from here I'm going to skip straight from the awkward are we/aren't we going to kiss moment to two days later, when I get a text from her inviting me out to Rome.

We started seeing each other pretty regularly, while keeping our options open. But over time we started to fall quite badly for one another, while maintaining the auspices of being 'just friends'. Last June I told her that I loved her and we've been a couple since then. She makes me very happy indeed.

Comment

Mail order bride.

Comment

Were you?

Comment

Pretty much.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X