Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How'd you meet your other half?

A bunch of us were doing this yesterday at a lunch thingy. The winner was:
    "I got on the Main St. bus one afternoon. I saw this guy I knew, but I was more interested in the girl he had with him. We all got off at the same stop, and they were heading back to her place for coffee. She invited me along, and we got on quite well. He left at midnight. I left at 2. She'd apparently been trying to end it with him, but he wasn't getting the message. We were married four months later. That was 38 years ago."

What's your story? And I don't care if we've done this before.

It was her 21st birthday. She was shit-faced, so was I. We made out as I won fifteen quid off the fruit machine in The Friary. It turned out I was her supervisor at work, though I didn't know her as she'd only just started working there.

Comment

Both my halves have been together since birth.

Comment

That's small towns for ya.

Comment

About eight years ago, I managed a betting shop. One of the part-time cashiers was in the third year of her Psychology degree. On the night that she finished and went back home, she poured tequila and Baileys (not my choice) down my neck until I submitted. Turns out that this had been (roughly) her plan for the previous six months or so, but she'd not had the opportunity to. About ten months later, we moved in together and the same situation presides to this day. Funny how these things work out, isn't it?

Comment

Met in college, both worked at the bookstore and started around the same time. We were friends for four years before we ever started dating. We maybe went on one date, realized that things felt right, and that was that. It didn't hurt that we both needed to find new apartments, so went in searching for one as friends, and then were bf/gf when we moved in.

Comment

She was 17, I was 18. We were at art college. She walked into the studio on the first day, I was lounging in a chair reading the paper. She was drop dead gorgeous and I was, equally, attracted and terrified. I watched her furtively from behind the page. Eventually she looked over at me, paused and walked slowly across the room. She stared down at me for a moment then said " Did you know your newspaper's upside down?"

We we married thirty six years later.

Comment

I was managing an office in Belfast. We were struggling to replace someone who was going off on maternity leave and I asked a contact if she knew of anyone suitable and available in the hope she would put herself forward, she didn't put herself forward, instead she recommended someone else. This person wasn't particularly well qualified for the job and turned up late on her first day. 4 months later we started 'going out' despite both having relatively serious long term partners, the following week I moved back to Scotland and we continued our 'romance' via Easyjet for 4 years, never living in the same country during that time.

We married nearly 5 years ago and have 3 kids now.

Comment

I went back to school at 28. One day, a classmate (who I really didn't know that well at all) came over and said "You're single, right?" Um...yes. "Then, have I got a girl for you." So that Friday, a bunch of us went bowling and we were introduced. We went out again the next night, and the next. Engaged a year later, and married 8 months after that.

Comment

Friday September 29 1994, She had a business meeting in Brussels, and on Friday afternoon took the Thalys up to Amsterdam to pick up her flight home from Schipol. The train was late and she missed her flight. She booked into the Hotel Americain because her company had a corporate account there, and started ringing round the airlines. However there wasn't another seat to be had before Monday morning, so she was stuck in Amsterdam for the weekend.

That night she grabbed a hand-full of magazines, and went down to the hotel bar. After about 30 minutes, she downed her drink and prepared to go up to her room. However Nouredien the barman assured her it would liven up shortly, because a bunch of Anglophone expats used the bar as their local. So she stayed for one more drink.

The first to arrive was my mate Pete, closely followed by me. I had been reluctant to go out because it was an unusually good night on TV. But Pete needed a drink, and after the third phone-call I gave in, and made my way to our local.

The first she saw of me, I was skimming my black Borsalino across the room where it landed successfully on a peg on the coat stand. In the 200 or so attempts at achieving this goal, this was one of only about the 3rd time I had got it right. She made a mental note that I must be very self-confident.

Long story short, she started talking to Pete, who went home about midnight. We carried on talking, and the next day I took her to the Stedelijk Museum, and then out for a Greek meal (Hosakawa's was fully booked). Sunday, we spent the day at my place.

We've been together ever since.

Comment

I put "old, divorced, boring football fanatic with virtually no social graces and some truly unpleasant attitudes about some of the rest of humanity" into one of those on-line dating sites and I've been fighting them off ever since.

Comment

At Spearmint Rhino's club.

No lapdancing was involved.

Comment

The miracle that is Match.com.
                          Pah to these old fashioned chance meeting things.
                          P and I met up, got pished, had some food at Carluccio's laughed like drains all day then snogged like teenagers on the tube platform.
                          We're moving in together on Saturday.

Comment

Hey, well done! Hope P is more of a keeper than V.

Comment

She's certainly less of a sociopath.

Comment

Hmm - what are you doing this weekend Rogin?

Comment

great news, hobbes!

It took me a while to see why, but Amor wins...

Comment

Thanks chaps. It's certainly a rather nice change being with someone who actually seems to rather like me rather than wanting to ruin my life on a bi-annual basis.

Comment

My other half of what?

Comment

You and boris oughta get together, based on mutual obtusitude.

Comment

The girls I used to hang out always seemed to like these stories to hinge on some kind of right moment: "If I had left for lunch five minutes earlier, we'd have never met" or "He happened to be on the same connecting flight, too." It's as if they preferred some imaginary force putting them together instead of their own actions like having a conversation with the guy.

Comment

Nice twist at the end of TPC's.

Comment

It's as if they preferred some imaginary force putting them together instead of their own actions like having a conversation with the guy.
                                              What it tells me is that there really are about 10,000 people you quite likely could have been happily married to, and that the 'eventual person' was happened upon by turning one way at a corner instead of the other.

Comment

Toro: Thanks. I've edited it a little for clarity's sake.

Comment

I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X