No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s the live feed of the Punxsutawney Phil for your weather forecast.

https://youtu.be/x2Wz9F8-DVQ

Comment

Popped out the back door on to the deck to measure the current snowfall. 18 inches on the coffee table. It's almost certainly more once I get away from the snow-shadow of the house. And we still have a forecast 8 hours more of intermittent showers so it's probably going to increase. Almost time to fire up the snowblower...

Comment

Looking promising for Sunday:

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1357652841968631808

Comment

Why the fuck is that "promising"?

Comment

The promise of some snow. I'm excited already.

Comment

You're weird...

Comment

I wish it would snow properly here. I love living by the coast but it does have it's disadvantages.

Comment

It snowed again this morning. Fortunately not too much. I was kinda hoping this lot would start to melt soon. Fresh snow is much prettier (and fluffier) than old snow.

Comment

Looks like -30c coming up this weekend here. Apparently -40 is where celcius and fahrenheit are equal. Isn't that a fun fact?

I would ask that anyone seeking to claim supremity for either do 100 bear foot jumping jacks in that temp and someone will sort international temps accordingly.

Comment

Will it be snowing by the time the Calcutta Cup kicks off? It would be fun to watch that being played in a blizzard.

Comment

Lovely blue skies here and an agreeable 19C or so.

Comment

Certainly a challenging period of weather coming our way, there is a fair chance we could spend most of February in below average temperatures, sometimes significantly so. There is a milder blip tgst should come by the end of next week but even that seems to be affecting fringe western areas.

East Scotland is turning into an Alpine country, big snow for days now the ski stations are reporting exceptional conditions alas they are closed...Very few reports due to lockdown but the Cairngorms are likely buried under meters of snow. 2021 should be a bumper year for snow patches survival...

Comment

Cairngorms (@cairngormsnews) Tweeted: We have seen collapsed roofs and fallen trees already this weekend with the sheer amount of snow. Passing places are blocked, car parks are closed and the roads are treacherous. Please do not visit the National Park this weekend with your sledge #StayatHome #StaySafe https://t.co/EZAn1acvGn https://twitter.com/cairngormsnews/s...626310658?s=20

Comment

The forecast is certainly quite intriguing. Where I live the temperature is due to drop below zero tomorrow morning and not rise above it until Friday lunchtime, which is quite unusual. If there's a wind chill too it's going to feel pretty damned cold!

Comment

Next week could actually be a prelude to an even more brutal spell by next weekend, models are showing the artic floodgates opening for good...

Comment

It snowed yesterday. It's sunnyish and above freezing today.

Current two week forecast says it's gonna snow tomorrow. Sunny and below freezing Monday. Snow tuesday. Sunny intervals Wednesday and Thursday. Snow Friday. Sunny intervals Saturday. Snow sunday. Sunny intervals Monday and Tuesday. Snow Weds, Thurs, Fri and Sat.

We're almost at the point where if it's an even numbered day it's OK, but an odd numbered day is snowy.

Comment

This one is a weird storm

We are expected to get five to seven inches of snow tomorrow, but it is absolutely clear and well over freezing today, with very little of note on the radar as far west as Chicago

Comment

It might sneak a little south of us. Boston's forecast up to 8 inches of snow and we might end up with as little as 2 or 3.

Anyway, hopefully it'll be enough to keep everyone home rather than driving drunk on the snow-and-ice covered roads to get to the Superbowl party with 40 other people indoors and superspreading...

But that's probably wishful thinking.
                                      Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 06-02-2021, 19:45.

Comment

Excellent. Boston is useless with snow.

Comment

It was 10 degrees here today. That's insanely warm for February

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                            Excellent. Boston is useless with snow.
                                            You probably didn't need those last two words.

As it happens, compared to anywhere within 100 miles of anywhere else I've lived (London, Oxford, San Diego), Boston is fucking amazing at dealing with snow. They salt the roads. They clear it. The drivers have tread on their tyres. The cars only crash on occasion. The municipal services basically function. They get the cars off the roads before ploughing.
                                            Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 06-02-2021, 21:06.

Comment

Forecast for today and tomorrow for my town was solid snow. So far not a single flake. Now, because I have learnt the hard way about not promising things to my children that I cannot guarantee will happen, I had not mentioned the possibility of snow. My mother, however, decided to send the children two excitable postcards saying "It's going to snow this weekend!!" So now I have two children constantly staring out the window asking "Why isn't it snowing yet?"

I think grandparents either completely forget what it is like to have children, or remember only too well and are engaged in constant small scale revenge.

Currently distracting the children by playing Queen songs on the TV and dancing round the lounge.

Comment

It is technically snowing here but I can only describe it as "being caught in the draught of a jogger with a bad case of dandruff".

Comment

It's been "snowing" all day here, but not a bit has settled.

Comment

It's f-f-f-fucking freezing in Lancashire. But no snow here either.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X