No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been bitten by 4 horseflies in the last 5 days and my step count has fallen through the floor because it's too warm to walk the dog after 10am. Fuck summer.

Comment

This is no weather for a sheep. Bring on autumn!

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
        I've been bitten by 4 horseflies in the last 5 days and my step count has fallen through the floor because it's too warm to walk the dog after 10am. Fuck summer.

Instant When I See An Elephant Fly earworm.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Anyway, I'm loving the weather at the moment. Temperature in the house is *looks over shoulder to electronic temperature-ometer thingy* 25.4C at the moment which, with a cooling breeze blowing through through the house, is perfect for me.

Can't really go out, as I burn on an overcast day in March, but you can't have everything.

Comment

Very fresh this morning at 6am, wfh so i gave the house a good airing before the sun warm it up too much. Warm at 6pm, took the dog out for a short stroll in the park (don't worry, he is very hardy...) but pleasantly so in the breeze.

The only thing i suffer with is lack of sleep, by 5am I'm done really...

It looks like things will turn less dry next week for us in the NW and a touch cooler but it seems to be just a temporary state of affair, this is increasingly likely to be a rather warm summer...

Comment

https://twitter.com/ShaneMcAuliffe1/status/1670075804674408449

Comment

It's certainly been dry* here...
                  *relatively
                  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65940366

Comment

Heavy rain forecast here in Greece tomorrow so might be reading indoors rather than on the beach. Views of the rain over the islands and Greek Orthodox church will be something of wonder though.

Comment

Until 6am this morning it hadn't rained at all here for well over a month. The volume of rain that has fallen in the last hour is doing its best to make up for that.

Comment

Been exceptionally dry down here in Pembs since the beginning of May, but pleasantly so with low 20s temps and gentle breezes. I’ve even ventured into the sea for a few swims. Everything is parched and the farmers are getting worried about crops/silage. Amazing to think March & April were so unseasonably cold, wet & windy.

We were promised thundery showers this weekend, but nowt here so far. I expect the weather gods are waiting for the school holiday makers to head down before giving everyone a thorough soaking and a miserable vacation.

Comment

The rain in Harrow was very lethargic.

Comment

https://twitter.com/simondonner/status/1674464428987916288?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

"This page does not exist", ursus.

Comment

Tweet was deleted

Forecast afternoon wet bulb temperatures for the southern US, with grey area >90 F.

~95 F is thought to be the physiological limit for humans, as beyond that the body can't sufficiently cool itself by sweating, even if you're in the shade.​
                                Large swathes of Louisiana, Mississippi and East Texas were in the mid 90s

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66084543

Comment

OK, so today will probably be the coldest day that the SE of England has this July - I damn well hope it is anyway - but even so, a maximum of 16 degrees C for a day in July is just so rubbish. I'm wearing a sodding pullover. In the middle of the day. In July. For fuck's sake.

There are all sorts of reasons why I will never live outside England again - need for the NHS in my old age, my youngest daughter being still at school, the removal of my EU citizenship by Brexit and so on, but hell I wish I could live somewhere further south in Europe. Somewhere where July days with a max temp of 16C are unheard of.

Comment

It's pissing it down here in Harrow.

Comment

I wish I could live somewhere where 16 was always the maximum July temperature.

Comment

I'd go for somewhere where 16C was the minimum January temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            Tweet was deleted

Large swathes of Louisiana, Mississippi and East Texas were in the mid 90s
                                            I always have to convert Fahrenheit. 95F is 35C. My town hit 40C a couple of times last summer which is apparently 104F. This reassures me that I made the right decision when my children's school closed to tell work that I had to take time off because I needed to spend the time helping myself, my children and my mother survive the temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

I always have to convert Fahrenheit. 95F is 35C. My town hit 40C a couple of times last summer which is apparently 104F. This reassures me that I made the right decision when my children's school closed to tell work that I had to take time off because I needed to spend the time helping myself, my children and my mother survive the temperature.
                                              The thermometer temperatures were all 39-41 C

Those listed were wet bulb temperatures, which are a different measure that takes humidity into account.

As the tweet said, one completely loses the ability to cool by sweating at a wet bulb temperature of approximately 95F.

It is really dangerous to be outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                It's pissing it down here in Harrow.
                                                Yes, here in Cambridge too. That incredibly common British weather of low pressure, heavy thick dark low cloud and cold rain. It is absolutely bloody shit. Dreary as hell, just miserable. And it stops play at Wimbledon too.

This rain is unpleasant, but ultimately it's all about the temperature. Last month, when we had a couple of weeks of that gorgeous weather, all too rare on this island, when the daily maxes were around 25 to 30C, and it was kind of sultry, we had occasional rain. But the rain in those conditions is lovely. It's fun. It's excitingly liberating to be able to go out and get wet from the rain without feeling cold from it, just as weather above 23C or so is liberating in allowing you to treat the outdoors as an extension of your living space, where you can go without having to put extra clothes on. Rain in 16C just sucks, especially during Wimbledon.

Comment

I always think that wet, cold summer days are particularly miserable. You've previously committed to shorts and bare feet around the house when the first warm days of summer arrived, the heating is off but now you're forced to put on a sweater or a fleece and stare out as the rain pelts down.

Bah!

Comment

Exactly, NS. It's the disappointment of expectations and the ruining of plans. I learnt from a football parents' WhatsApp group chat that three of the girls in my daughter's football squad are missing training this afternoon because they are on a "school beach trip" today. Poor sods. There's always next year, eh.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X