Ship of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

The irony of a massive container ship running on bunker oil being called Evergreen is not lost.

Comment

You should have a look at the queue building up going northbound, it's epic!

MarineTraffic Live Ships Map. Discover information and vessel positions for vessels around the world. Search the MarineTraffic ships database of more than 550000 active and decommissioned vessels. Search for popular ships globally. Find locations of ports and ships using the near Real Time ships map. View vessel details and ship photos.

Comment

Given there's already a critical semiconductor shortage in global manufacturing at the moment, you have to wonder how many production lines this is going to grind to a halt in the coming days and weeks.

Comment

If my new XBox Series X is on that ship, I shall be Very Put Out.

Comment

Some cunt in the Telegraph is already crafting a column to post in 3 months blaming some awful trade stats on this.

Comment

https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1374642013728030723

Comment

I've got 16000 teddy bears and 30000 vases somewhere in that queue.

Comment

On its way again going at less than 5 mph. Going through the Suez canal costs about ?180,00 or USD400,000 but you have to weigh that up against elevn days going down to the Cape and then up the west side of Africa. Extra fuel, crew costs and wear and tear on the engine all dictate the route a ship takes.

Comment

Are you sure it's free? Still showing as stuck here https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000

Comment

It looked like their AIS was switched off earlier. Not sure ships have to keep stating their position while stationary.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          Are you sure it's free? Still showing as stuck here https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000
                          I thought it had moved on live ships map but maybe not.

Comment

This is a good background piece

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ship-continues

Reports that the ship has been partially refloated, but traffic has yet to resume

Comment

I'm sure it's been linked to before but this is probably the best of the ship finding sites out there. The app is good too.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...305289/zoom:14

Edit: Which Paul S linked to back up there. Oops.
                              Last edited by Greenlander; 24-03-2021, 21:23.

Comment

It will be funny (well, not really) if they free it and one of the other boats in the queue does the same thing.

And that boat does not look like a gust of wind would move it in the slightest. My vote is the crew were pissed, or pissing about.

Comment

The containers are piled higher (and longer) than on a normal vessel (there aren't many if this size, larger than the Empire State Building)

In a very strong crosswind, they can act as a sail

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                    My vote is the crew were pissed, or pissing about.
                                    Possibly, though I really doubt it, but there are some really strict rules about crews drinking. As an example when our favourite bosun on one of the ferries retired we bought him a box of Westcountry cider but he refused to take it as even though it was his last crossing he wasn't allowed to take it on board. In the end we had to persuade the captain to hold it for him and even he was reluctant as it was strictly against the rules.

They are allowed one glass of wine with their evening meal, but can't bank it for another night. Use it or lose it. Back in the day we'd get plastic containers full of cheap French red every Sunday, and on a Friday load the supervisor and the loading officer would run the operation from the next door pub.

Even Russian or Ukranian crewed ships have dried up and they used to be even worse. The first time I ever went on one the skipper offered me a drink which I accepted to which my dad gave me the look that suggested I had no idea what was about to happen. I forget how many toasts to Mother Russia were made but they left me to it and peeled me off the floor when they came back for me a couple of hours later. You'd be lucky to get a coffee nowadays.

I don't know about the Ever Given, it's under a flag of convenience, but the captain on the British registered tankers will conduct random alcohol testing while at sea. On the other side, as they are a different kettle of fish the Dutch trawler crews will fill a small skip with their empty beer cans when they come in port.

And the smokers dip out too, the Indonesian and Filipino deckhands don't whisper 'cigarettes' under their breath to you anymore either.

Comment

And with regards to pissing about, the lessons of the Costa Concordia should be still be fresh enough.

Comment

There is a ship in that queue called Nautical Deborah.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                          And that boat does not look like a gust of wind would move it in the slightest. My vote is the crew were pissed, or pissing about.
                                          Here is the course it took before entering the canal:

Comment

It's still stuck

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

Possibly, though I really doubt it, but there are some really strict rules about crews drinking. As an example when our favourite bosun on one of the ferries retired we bought him a box of Westcountry cider but he refused to take it as even though it was his last crossing he wasn't allowed to take it on board. In the end we had to persuade the captain to hold it for him and even he was reluctant as it was strictly against the rules.

They are allowed one glass of wine with their evening meal, but can't bank it for another night. Use it or lose it. Back in the day we'd get plastic containers full of cheap French red every Sunday, and on a Friday load the supervisor and the loading officer would run the operation from the next door pub.
                                              The whole of the transport industry is now completely dry and even I have been tested at work even though I'm back office. It's changed the shipping industry though as the camaraderie has now gone. A bloke I know was in the merchant and his first ship in 1980 was a 50,000 tonner with a crew of 50-60. Back then they had different messes, a bar, there was a great atmosphere with all his shipmates. Today a 200,000 tonne ship - four times the one he started on - can be crewed by just 13 people. No bar, no mess, no good times, 12 hours on, 12 hours off, mental health problems abound due the effects of isolation.

Back on the alcohol thing, I can see more industries beginning to test their employees in the future.

Comment

Has grog disappeared from the Navy diet?

Comment

I like that a fact checking site (Snopes?) has said, 'Yes, it did make a path that looks like a penis but we don't know if it was on purpose.'

Comment

It's not very like a penis is it? Someone needs to see a doctor (maybe me, if that track actually bears any resemblance to a normal penis)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X