The 2015 UK General Election thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Question for the Greens.

What do you make of the Cambridge result? Bennett went up their in the campaign, but vote share barely up on 2010. Not just the students but lots of science and high tech business round there. Are lots of them still seeing the Greens as anti-science?

By contrast, the Oxford East result was good for the Greens. Third place, with a much improved 11.6%. And with the presumably un-Green Blackbird Leys and Barton.
    The Greens tend to do best in the central Oxford wards such as Holywell and Carfax. They also do reasonably well in the Cowley wards. (This is based on council election results.) I suspect it's the student vote in all cases.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: This is obviously, technically, rather unfair on the Greens, but it did induce a wry smile
      Ouch. It's a fair cop guvnor, I'd have preferred the polls to be accurate, but now we have a new situation where Labour are much less likely to say a Green or further left vote is wasted.

Comment

An ability to laugh at oneself is an incredibly important characteristic in politics. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that those who can't are dangerous.

Comment

Some assorted statfoolery:

Comment

And down in the relegation places:

Conservative: deposits lost 17, saved 631
            Labour: 3, 628
            LibDem: 340, 291

UKIP: 81, 543
            Green: 441, 132

SNP: 0, 59
            PC: 7, 33

Comment

I was back home in Kent last week and from what I heard, there were quite a lot of people in what were formerly Lab/Con marginals holding their noses and voting Tory just to keep UKIP out.

I don't know whether to feel slightly relieved or utterly depressed.

Comment

voting Tory just to keep UKIP out.
                I'd love to know what they think the differences between the 2 are. I asked a guy I know who voted UKIP if he could tell me what the differences between them and the tories were, he couldn't say other than ukip were 'more for working people'. I said I wasn't so sure but did state I didn't think ukip were quite as far right as the tories are these days. We went our separate ways.

Comment

Well I wouldn't have done it myself, but I imagine people were repulsed enough at the embarrassment of being represented in parliament by a party of thick lunatics that includes Actual Fascists, that the Tories seemed a slightly less unpalatable option, and indeed were the only alternative available. It might also help explain how the Tory vote was so inexplicably high in this election.

In the end, it just shows how shit the electoral system is.

Comment

Alderman Barnes wrote: In the end, it just shows how shit the electoral system is
                    And how large the small c conservative bloc is.

Third places:

UKIP 367
                    Tory 111
                    Labour 99
                    LibDem 36
                    Green 20
                    Plaid 2
                    NI parties 15

Comment

This needs to be put in every letterbox in the western world:

Comment

Ah, those lovely people at Wonga. Under Cam2.0, "hard-working dinner ladies and mums" can enjoy their loans too!

"The lender, which recently announced a pre-tax loss of Ł37.3m in 2014, said the new ads would steer clear of the young and vulnerable"

So anyone who needs a loan isn't by definition vulnerable?

Comment

It's quite striking that they have managed to lose money, notwithstanding the usurious rates they charge. I assume that it's the massive advertising expenses and executive pay that are to blame.

Comment

I know there’s been a bit of a debate on the board about this already, but I can’t abide the way the Tories are bandying around the phrase ‘hard-working’. It’s as if they’ve adopted a two-tier approach to working now: there are the mere ‘workers’, who go to work, do their job, earn their wage and come home to do things like spend quality family time; then there are the ‘hard’ workers, the ones who slave away until their souls are wrung out and their blood is ground into the dust, regardless of trifling matters like health and sanity. Like ‘job searchers’, ‘workers’ will soon be a pariah group.

Comment

The favoured term of the US right is "job creators", who shouldn't have to do grotty stuff like pay taxes or observe regulations.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: The favoured term of the US right is "job creators", who shouldn't have to do grotty stuff like pay taxes or observe regulations.
                                And the Blairites, which is something I found fucking revolting about the media offensive they launched 48 hours after the election.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: The favoured term of the US right is "job creators", who shouldn't have to do grotty stuff like pay taxes or observe regulations.
                                  The Red Mist would descend if I heard somebody use that non-ironically within earshot.

But again, language rules, and the right has won that battle for a long time.

Comment

Job creators is just one step sideways from talking about 'wealth creators'.

Who tend to create wealth for themselves, mainly...

Comment

Spreadsheet of Results by Constituency

Comment

Which isn't publicly accessible.

Comment

On the case DA. Are there simple steps to make it public read-only?

Comment

Dunno. Never really used googledrive.

Comment

For a bit of cheer, I quite liked Frankie Boyle's peroration at the end of this (for those in the UK).

Comment

So, it turns out that Tubbs is a flaming moderate compared to the Scottish Unionists

The SNP MP for Paisley and Renfrewshire South was termed a “slut” by the prominent Unionist academic Dr Jill Stephenson during a Twitter exchange, the Sunday Herald has reported.

In the comments made before the general election, Dr Stephenson described the Nationalist politician as an “appalling harridan” and a “foul mouthed little slut” in one of a series of hostile tweets.

Comment

Them CyberBritNats

Comment

Ha ha.

Is he channeling David Evans?

Shortly before losing his seat, in early March 1997, he attracted controversy over unguarded remarks in an interview by sixth-formers at Stanborough School for a school magazine in which he referred to his opponent as a "single girl" (she was 42 years old at the time) with "bastard children"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X