Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The US police misconduct thread

Im not sure it is.

Governors generally have extraordinary emergency powers.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: On that point, the police union in Cleveland has called for an emergency suspension of Ohio's open carry law in and around the arena hosting the GOP convention.

Governor Kasich responded that he lacked any power to do that.
      I saw the former Marine with his assault rifle over his shoulder saying that he was making a point. Then he said something like, "I'm a good guy."

Dumbasses. Maybe we should require people like him to have the words "GOOD GUY" tattooed on their fucking foreheads.

Comment

Kasich wouldn't want to upset his base. That's probably the true reason.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: Kasich wouldn't want to upset his base. That's probably the true reason.
          It certainly wouldn't go over well and there'd be calls for his impeachment, I'm sure.

Comment

If Republicans won't even stop suspected terrorists from being able to buy assault weapons, they certainly wouldn't go for that.

Comment

All true, but that wasn't the question.

I suspect that he has the authority and just refuses to exercise it.

But it is the poor who lack any sense of personal responsibility.

Comment

"I suspect that he has the authority and just refuses to exercise it."

Yes, that's what I meant about not wanting to upset his base.

Comment

The stories/pictures of Montrell Jackson are heartbreaking.

So many of these gunmen turn out to be ex-military. Maybe the USA should focus less on using veterans as an applause-line, and more on their mental health services.

Comment

I have taught students who are ex military and they say that support services are a disgrace, just nothing. We train killers, traumatize them, then leave them in limbo with a weapon.

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: I have taught students who are ex military and they say that support services are a disgrace, just nothing. We train killers, traumatize them, then leave them in limbo with a weapon.
                      This. So much this. Republicans are so gung ho to start wars and send young people into horrific situations, and while they're the biggest "support our troops" banner wavers, when it comes to taking care of soldiers' needs at home, they whip out the FUCK YOU banner. Veterans programs are among the first to get slashed.

They are so short-sighted that they can't make the connection between their actions and all of the turmoil. They would rather blame the Islamic Bogeyman so they can keep everyone scared and willing to back their self-serving military-industrial complex. Sad!

Comment

This is mad. I mean this is clearly the maddest so far. At least Tamir rice had some sort of thing that looked like a gun.

Comment

I saw someone on Twitter joking that it was like there was some social experiment where they were testing how bad the police could be before people unanimously became outraged by them. "Kill a 12-year old in a park without talking to him first?" Nope, didn't work. "How about shooting an autistic man's caregiver while he lays down in the street with his hands up?"

One of my FB friends posted this, and one of their friends left a comment along the lines of "wow, and there was an autistic man that had to witness this? Now I'm really angry." IT WASN'T BAD ENOUGH THAT SOMEONE WAS SHOT FOR NO REASON???

Comment

This is beyond parody now. I have no idea what it must be like to black in America right now.

Comment

The weirdest bit about it is the interview afterwards when you get to see just how gentle and unthreatening the man is. He's literally everything you'd expect someone who works in the special needs sector to be.

Comment

Errorist Sympathiser wrote: This is beyond parody now.
                                Yeah, it's beyond parody and it is beyond embarrassing. Given what we have seen this century the US has lost any tenuous claim it had on being the leader of the free world. That is unless you equate mass incarceration, police brutality, xenophobic demagoguery, violence and militarism with freedom. It's nuts, it's like something from a post apocalyptic dystopia.

Comment

A lawyer for Kinsey, Hilton Napoleon...
                                  Shit just gone from tragic to surreal.

Comment

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that black people run for president for the Secret service detail.

That Ben Carson is cannier than he looks. If he spends all his time going from the fox news studios to Cop conventions, he should be safe for the time being.

Comment

From facebook.

No offense to cops. None!!

Your job is dangerous, I am retired military I get it, if you are scared to death you need another profession. I knew that my military career had every chance of shooting the dice and craps coming up. It was just a part of the job.

Seriously. The gave you a gun, a stick to hit folks, and body armor. That should be a clue. If you are a physical coward go sell insurance, teach high school, anything but a job like police, fire, or GI which all require a certain fatalistic view that if my number comes up, it's up.

I think that pretty much covers it. They've created a situation where A bunch of terrified people know that they're legally allowed kill someone if they're afraid of them.

Comment

i think that's a bit rich coming from an american soldier actually. they're not known for their eagerness to minimise collateral damage by exposing themselves to physical danger. FFS, these days they're doing most of the killing by remote control.

Comment

The district attorney in the Florida county where the caregiver shooting took place has been in office for 23 years.

She has never charged a police officer in an on-duty shooting.

Comment

garcia wrote: i think that's a bit rich coming from an american soldier actually. they're not known for their eagerness to minimise collateral damage by exposing themselves to physical danger. FFS, these days they're doing most of the killing by remote control.
                                            Maybe he was one of those ones that drove around in unarmoured humvees worrying about ieds.

Comment

garcia wrote: i think that's a bit rich coming from an american soldier actually. they're not known for their eagerness to minimise collateral damage by exposing themselves to physical danger. FFS, these days they're doing most of the killing by remote control.
                                              Well, military are trained in the first place to kill, hence their celebrated inability to nation-build. When killing is your m.o. you're going to take elaborate precautions not to be killed yourself, and be more careless about collateral damage. Being a police officer is supposed to entail more nuanced quick judgments.

Comment

Saw on Twitter that the head of the Miami police union said that the officer thought he was in danger, and was apparently aiming to shoot the autistic man and missed.

Comment

so that's a cop with;
                                                  1. an incredibly poor grasp of what is and what's not a dangerous situation.
                                                  2. an incredibly poor understanding on what is an appropriate response to a potentially dangerous situation.
                                                  3 . an incredibly poor aim.

the more i think of it, the more i'd want to be armed over there. just me though.

Comment

Garcia, I think his point is that the job carries with it the risk of being killed, and you have to accept that. You can't resort to a hail of bullets every time you feel slightly threatened.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X