The US police misconduct thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In new evidence of a police killing of a man in Long Beach from last year, a cellphone video shows that the situation escalated into a shooting because one sheriff's deputy pulled out his weapon and accidentally shot his partner, who then thought that he had been shot by the suspect. The deputy who was shot then fired three shots into the man in point blank range.

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/new-video-footage-shows-noel-aguilar-shot-from-behind-by-la-county-sheriff-deputy-in-long-beach-6844726

Comment

No police officer will be prosecuted for the murder of Tamir Rice, who was 12 when they shot him.

Comment

According to a George Will column, "the value of property that police departments seized through civil-asset forfeiture — usually without accusing, let alone convicting, the property owners of a crime — exceeded the value of property stolen by nongovernment burglars."

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2015/12/30/commentary/world-commentary/common-thread-2015s-list-ludicrousness/#.Voh99VIVxNV

Comment

The New Yorker had a good article on that last year, and John Oliver also did a segment on civil forfeiture, if you haven't seen it already.

Comment

Texas state trooper charged with perjury over the arrest of Sandra Bland.

I'm genuinely amazed at this. I Assumed that the Grand Jury was a stage in american Law, where Daily Mail readers would decide if a prosecution passed "the common sense test." Before declaring that any prosecution of the police was a clear case of political correctness gone mad.

Comment

One of the senior prosecutors here once famously said that he could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich.

But it depends on the composition of the grand jury, and, crucially, on the prosecutor. The Bland case is so egregious that they may have decided end that they had to do something or risk losing all credibility. Senior police officials may have also decided that it would be convenient to get rid of these guys.

Comment

Names and addresses of officers, forum posts critical of Barack Obama, and controversial contracts were posted online in the Fraternal Order of Police hack.

Private files belonging to America’s biggest police union, including the names and addresses of officers, forum posts critical of Barack Obama, and controversial contracts made with city authorities, were posted online on Thursday after a hacker breached its website.

The Fraternal Order of Police (FOP), which says it represents about 330,000 law enforcement officers across the US, said the FBI was investigating after 2.5GB of data taken from its servers was dumped online and swiftly shared on social media. The union’s national site, fop.net, remained offline on Thursday [28th January] evening.
                From here.

Comment

For those who may not be recall, 12 year old Tamir Rice was shot dead in a playground by the Cleveland Police.

Comment

They got one!

Killer cop convicted of manslaughter

I'm sure it's a coincidence that the cop isn't white.

Comment

And a rookie

Comment

Black people don't even have to be awake to fatally threaten cops

Comment

Ho hum.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/nyregion/charges-dropped-against-brooklyn-mail-carrier-in-altercation-with-police.html?_r=1

Comment

Fuck you, you worthless pieces of homophobic pig bastard shit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36350525

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous post.

Comment

I dunno. These lesbians should really keep it in their pants. Won't somebody think of the children?

Comment

Blue Lives Matter.

Not an appeal by The Smurfs.

Comment

Two police murders of black men in the past few days. Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, murdered after selling CDs in front of a liquor store, and the liquor store owner filmed the police clearly pinning him down and shooting him in the chest as he was immobile on the ground. And Philando Castile in Falcon Heighs, MN, killed in a traffic stop after being pulled over for having a broken taillight. His girlfriend broadcast the aftermath of the shooting seconds after it happened on Facebook Live. The cop kept his gun pointed at Castile as he was dying in his car with his girlfriend's 4-year old girl in the backseat.

Comment

Thanks for posting that, Inca

I haven't had the strength.

I am so fucking tired of this shit.

Comment

Again happening in the summer, just like the killings last year.

I just don't know what to think, I feel like fear of and hatred towards black Americans is as bad as it's been for years, going back to the 90s. And cops keep getting away with killing people, it just seems like this shit isn't going to change.

Comment

That's why I am so depressed

Comment

Police shot in Dallas during a Black Lives Matter March, apparently by a sniper. Three killed, others wounded according to rolling reports.

The USA really is in dangerous territory now.

Comment

Same as it ever was.

Comment

Fuck, that news out of Dallas is horrible. All protestors will be blamed any any dissenting voices called to be quiet to protect the police. This is going to get worse.

Comment

A fourth officer is now dead.

Comment

Incandenza wrote: Again happening in the summer, just like the killings last year.

I just don't know what to think, I feel like fear of and hatred towards black Americans is as bad as it's been for years, going back to the 90s. And cops keep getting away with killing people, it just seems like this shit isn't going to change.
                                                    This.

Doubly depressing for me because of Baton Rouge. This was never a question of if, only when. Racism is alive and well in my birthplace. I have known this for many years.

Does 28 seem really young to be a cop with a gun to anyone else?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X