No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot express how much of an understatement the first part of that is.

Praying before the Black Madonna had already been Taylorised in 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...%C4%99stochowa

Comment

Seems to have accelerated under John Paul II for obvious reasons. Also venerated in parts of Ukraine that used to be in Poland

https://czestochowa.us/

Comment

It never was not big (even we have a Polish copy on the wall), but became much more open and encouraged by the state under John Paul

Under PiS, it has become an essential part of the Reactionary State/Church Complex

Comment

Shaggy (Scooby Doo character) - real name is Norville

Shaggy (Jamaican singer) - real name is Orville

Comment

In Faroese there are different words for aunt depending on whether the person is your mother's sister or your father's sister.

Comment

What about if they are your mother's sister's wife?

Comment

In Swedish, your grandparents, uncles and aunts have different words for each side of the fam.
                On the Dads side it goes:
                Grandfather: Farfar
                Grandmother: Farmor
                Uncle: Farbror
                Auntie: Faster

Mums side:
                Grandfather: Morfar
                Grandmother: Mormor
                Uncle: Morbror
                Auntie: Moster

Comment

The phantom Soviet Everest expedition of 1952, the secret Sino-Soviet Everest reconaissance expedition of 1958 and the cancelled Sino-Soviet Everest expedition of 1959.

https://www.alpinejournal.org.uk/Con...%20Everest.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                    In Swedish, your grandparents, uncles and aunts have different words for each side of the fam.

Mums side:
                    Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post

Mums side:
                      Pleasantly logical.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

My adult friend had a similar experience with the seemingly popular German town of Ausfahrt, which several people were leaving the motorway to visit.
                        When we were in Berlin, each time we saw a sign for the Hauptbahnhof (which was often, because we were staying not far from the centre) my girlfriend would read it out loud because she liked the sound of the word. As I might have mentioned once or twice, she's good with languages so while she struggled with German (and didn't need to do much since English speakers were in ready supply anyway and my secondary school German somehow returned to me when it came to asking for directions and suchlike) I didn't think much of this. Until we headed to the Hauptbahnhof in order to leave the city and head to Prague.

As we walked up to it she looked up above the entrance and pointed. 'There's that word again! "Hauptbahnhof"!' And I looked at her and went, 'Yes, of course it says that. This is the Hauptbahnhof.' Her, confused: 'Wait ... what does Hauptbahnhof mean?' Me: 'Main railway station.' At which point she fell about laughing at herself. She'd spent four days thinking it meant square or street or something, and that that was why it was on so many street signs.

Comment

In China, there are even more specific family words depending on family hierarchy. So there is a different word for older brother (gege), younger brother (didi), older sister (jiejie), younger sister (meimei), and then you end up in the territory of "mother's older sister" vs "father's younger brother" and there are different words for in-law's so you'll get "mother's younger brother's wife" so there are a minimum of 16 words for everything that would just be covered by "aunt and uncle" in English. In big families, this ends up being differentiated further by number "mother's second youngest sister's husband", etc.

They find English utterly baffling as how on earth is anyone supposed to know who they're talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                            They find English utterly baffling as how on earth is anyone supposed to know who they're talking about?
                            Use names? I guess you can still have confusion if both parents have, say, a brother called Robert. But that situation does at least allow you to double-down when saying "...and Bob's your uncle."

Comment

Hungarian doesn;t have a word that specifically means "brother" or "sister". It has a word that means sibling, a word that means older sister, a word that means older brother, a word that means younger sister, and a word that means younger brother

Comment

I'll see your Swedish/Chinese kinship terms and raise you Hindi family words (HT Piyush Maurya​):

Own Family
                                father पापा/पिता (pāpā/pitā)
                                mother मम्मी/माँ (mam'mī/mām̐)
                                husband पति (pati)
                                wife पत्नी (patnī)
                                children बच्चे (baccē)
                                son बेटा/पुत्र (bēṭā/putra)
                                daughter बेटी/पुत्री (bēṭī/putrī)
                                younger brother (छोटा) भाई ((chōṭā) bhā'ī)
                                elder brother भैया/(बड़ा) भाई (bhaiyā/(baṛā) bhā'ī)
                                younger sister (छोटी) बहन ((chōṭī) bahana)
                                elder sister दीदी/(बड़ी) बहन (dīdī/(baṛī) bahana)

Father's side
                                grandfather (father's father) दादा (dādā)
                                grandmother (father's mother) दादी (dādī)
                                uncle (father's younger brother) चाचा (cācā)
                                uncle (father's elder brother) ताऊ/बड़े पापा (tā'ū/baṛē pāpā)
                                uncle (father's sister's husband) फूफा (phūphā)
                                aunt (father's younger brother's wife) चाची (cācī)
                                aunt (father's elder brother's wife) ताई/बड़ी मम्मी (tā'ī/baṛī mam'mī)
                                aunt (father's sister) बुआ (bu'ā)

Mother's side
                                grandfather (mother's father) नाना (nānā)
                                grandmother (mother's mother) नानी (nānī)
                                uncle (mother's brother) मामा (māmā)
                                uncle (mother's sister's husband) मौसा (mausā)
                                aunt (mother's brother's wife) मामी (māmī)
                                aunt (mother's sister) मौसी (mausī)

Brother's side
                                aunt (younger brother's wife) भयो (bhayō)
                                aunt (elder brother's wife) भाभी (bhābhī)
                                nephew (brother's son) भतीजा (bhatījā)
                                niece (brother's daughter) भतीजी (bhatījī)

Sister's side
                                brother-in-law (younger sister's husband) बहनोई (bahanō'ī)
                                brother-in-law (elder sister's husband) जीजा (jījā)
                                nephew (sister's son) भांजा (bhān̄jā)
                                niece (sister's daughter) भांजी (bhān̄jī)

Husband's side
                                father-in-law (husband's father) ससुर (sasura)
                                mother-in-law (husband's mother) सास (sāsa)
                                brother-in-law (husband's younger brother) देवर (dēvara)
                                brother-in-law (husband's elder brother) जेठ/भसुर (jēṭha/bhasura)
                                brother-in-law's wife (husband's younger brother's wife) देवरानी (dēvarānī)
                                brother-in-law's wife (husband's elder brother's wife) जेठानी/भाभी (jēṭhānī/bhābhī)
                                sister-in-law (husband's sister) ननद (nanada)
                                sister-in-law's husband (husband's sister's husband) नंदोई (nandō'ī)

Wife's side
                                father-in-law (wife's father) ससुर (sasura)
                                mother-in-law (wife's mother) सास (sāsa)
                                brother-in-law (wife's younger brother) साला (sālā)
                                brother-in-law (wife's elder brother) साले साहब (sālē sāhaba)
                                brother-in-law's wife (wife's brother's wife) सलहज (salahaja)
                                sister-in-law (wife's sister) साली (sālī)
                                sister-in-law's husband (wife's sister's husband) साढ़ू (sāṛhū)

Son's family
                                daughter-in-law (son's wife) बहू (bahū)
                                grandson (son's son) पोता (pōtā)
                                granddaugther (son's daughter) पोती (pōtī)

Daughter's family
                                son-in-law (daughter's husband) दामाद (dāmāda)
                                grandson (daughter's son) नाती (nātī)
                                granddaugther (daughter's daughter) नतिनी (natinī)

Other relatives
                                cousin (father's brother's son) चचेरा भाई (cacērā bhā'ī)
                                cousin (father's brother's daughter) चचेरी बहन (cacērī bahana)
                                cousin (father's sister's son) फुफेरा भाई (phuphērā bhā'ī)
                                cousin (father's sister's daughter) फुफेरी बहन (phuphērī bahana)
                                cousin (mother's brother's son) ममेरा भाई (mamērā bhā'ī)
                                cousin (mother's brother's daughter) ममेरी बहन (mamērī bahana)
                                cousin (mother's sister's son) मौसेरा भाई (mausērā bhā'ī)
                                cousin (mother's sister's daughter) मौसेरी बहन (mausērī bahana)

https://www.omniglot.com/language/kinship/hindi.htm

Comment

There are so many cases where various languages could be more concise. I have two sisters, both of whom are younger than me. If I want to refer to the elder of the two there's no pithy way of saying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                    There are so many cases where various languages could be more concise. I have two sisters, both of whom are younger than me. If I want to refer to the elder of the two there's no pithy way of saying it.
                                    You want a single word that means "the older of two sisters, both of who are younger than me"?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

You want a single word that means "the older of two sisters, both of who are younger than me"?
                                      Yes. Can you invent one?

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post

Use names? I guess you can still have confusion if both parents have, say, a brother called Robert. But that situation does at least allow you to double-down when saying "...and Bob's your uncle."
                                        But other people like to know who you're talking about. So if I say to a stranger "My aunt Jane" they don't know what relation Jane is to me. Chinese people like to know who Aunt Jane is to me. You use their names too.

Comment

There are words for this in Chinese.

Jiejie is oldest sister
                                          Er (2) jie is second oldest sister
                                          San (3) jie is third oldest sister

Etc

There's also oldest maternal aunt, second oldest maternal aunt, etc

Comment

https://blog.tutorabcchinese.com/man...ves-in-chinese

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

There are words for this in Chinese.

Jiejie is oldest sister
                                              Er (2) jie is second oldest sister
                                              San (3) jie is third oldest sister

Etc

There's also oldest maternal aunt, second oldest maternal aunt, etc
                                              But does it make clear that both sisters are younger than Sporting?

Comment

Me, I'd be happy enough with "family member" as the generic noun, and a name to go with it.

Comment

But does it make clear that both sisters are younger than Sporting?
                                                  Yes, Sanjie is "the third of the sisters who are older than me", Sanmei is "the third of the sisters who are younger than me".

Comment

So if sporting has two sisters who are younger than him he has a meimei and an ermei.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X