No announcement yet.

Singing in the shower, whistling in the street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had no idea that whistling excited such negative emotions. Then again I can't say I hear it very often.

Having the builders in, I'm getting plenty of live music, which I find amusing rather than annoying, inasmuch as I wonder why people with such terrible singing voices sing so loudly. I could understand it if they sang quietly to themselves or raised the volume if they were good, but advertising their lack of ability just makes them look a bit of a joke.

OTOH, I'm always pleased to see people being happy or enjoying themselves, so all power to the tuneless warblers.

I can whistle but usually don't and sometimes sing quite beautifully in the shower, if it's not too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
      I also sometimes sing with the children while walking around the town, especially when walking home from swimming lessons when we often make up new versions of existing pop songs (the last walk I remember we made up various versions of "Gold" such as " It's grown mould! Always avoid the mould! It's got the power to grow, it's indestructible, so always avoid the mould!")

This occasionally gets embarrassing when other people walk past but I've decided I don't really care.
      This sounds like a great creativity exercise to share with your children. Love that mould song.

Comment

"Mrs Thistle whistles" is a great sentence. Should be the start of a book.
        Thing is, "thistle whistles" makes me think of The Family Ness.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
          if it's not too late.
          If it's not too late...to what?

You surely don't shower at night.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

If it's not too late...to what?

You surely don't shower at night.

Absolutely. I'm usually a shower before bed guy. Often in the small hours, though my kids will probably be awake then even if Mrs. NS isn't.

Comment

Showering at night is logical because that's when you're dirtiest.

Comment

Or....showering in the morning is logical because you've been tossing and turning in your own filth all night, plus have bedhead and scrunge-crusted eyes.

Comment

Do the night showerers go to bed with damp hair? To my mind that would be the main drawback (and I'm not about to use a hairdryer).

Comment

"Turning in your own filth" - blimey!

I prefer to cleanse myself at the end of the day and then climb into a clean bed. If you don't do that and go to bed dirty then your bed probably will be a bit grimy, I guess.

I don't usually wake up sweaty, unless it's been a rare muggy night, and a quick face-wash gets rid of the eye-snot.

Comment

I generally only shower at night in extreme heat and don't wash my hair when I do

Comment

Showers also wake me up, which has far more value in the morning than before bed.

Comment

A shower at night helps me sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Probably one for the irrationally angry thread, but older men* whistling in public makes me borderline violent. It's not just obliviousness....its arrogance that makes you think everyone else should be subjected to your jaunty little tune. When I'm in Home Depot and some old fart walks past whistling away, I'm seriously looking around for a good length of pipe with which to bash the fucker.

No issues with singing in the shower.

*It's always older men
                            Try being on a hospital ward with a whistler in the next bed...

Whistlers and singers for me. I just find it really selfish on their part that they're making me have to endure it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              I generally only shower at night in extreme heat and don't wash my hair when I do
                              I do recommend showering also when there isn't extreme heat.

Anyway, the question of turning in your own filth at night... yeah, but if you shower at night, there's not much filth on the bed to turn in.

So, yeah, showering at night works for me, though I am not an ideologue about it. But I have to shower once a day.

Comment

I find showering wakes me up too. I've also observed that the earlier in the day I shower, the colder I like the water.

Comment

Coffee does the job for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                    Coffee does the job for me.
                                    You shower in coffee?

Comment

You shower in coffee?
                                      Well, he admitted upthread that he "wets himself" in the shower, so anything's possible, I reckon.

Comment

This has given me an unpleasant memory of my friend who told me about her Bristolian housemate who used to give himself coffee enemas in the bath, and not clean up particularly well afterwards.

Comment

I vary between showering in the evening or in the morning depending on available time. Often I shower before bedtime because I struggle to get up early enough in the morning. I like going to bed freshly showered and in clean sheets. Having wet hair doesn't bother me.

Comment

Shower in the morning - invigorating.

Bath in the evening - relaxing.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheep View Post

This sounds like a great creativity exercise to share with your children. Love that mould song.
                                              As you seem to be an admirer of our efforts in this arena, here are this week's versions. This time to the tune of "When you wish upon a star" from Disney's Pinocchio.

"When you want to paint some art,
                                              First make sure to do a fart,
                                              Otherwise you'll have to pause to
                                              Do a poo"

Or

"If your tummy starts to hurt,
                                              There's no need to be desperate,
                                              We will bring some food to you to
                                              Fill you up"

The hurt / desperate tortured half rhyme is an inspired leap by my daughter.

Comment

As you seem to be an admirer of our efforts in this arena, here are this week's versions. This time to the tune of "When you wish upon a star" from Disney's Pinocchio.

"When you want to paint some art,
                                                First make sure to do a fart,
                                                Otherwise you'll have to pause to
                                                Do a poo"

Or

"If your tummy starts to hurt,
                                                There's no need to be desperate,
                                                We will bring some food to you to
                                                Fill you up"

The hurt / desperate tortured half rhyme is an inspired leap by my daughter.
                                                Could the Balderdasha lyric collective come up with some new songs for the game tomorrow?

Comment

A stupid poem:

When the likes of Southgate
                                                  Ruminate
                                                  On politics
                                                  Results are rarely great.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X