Singing in the shower, whistling in the street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singing in the shower, whistling in the street

The cliché is that people supposedly crap at singing only do so while in the shower. This isn't my case. I don't think my vocals are that bad, but I don't see how anyone can croon in the shower, given the water falling into one's open mouth. But maybe there are posters here who are experts in this art.

Whistling in the street. First, an admission: I can't whistle. Just putting my lips together and blowing doesn't do the trick. When I was younger I felt slightly inferior due to this inability but now I'm cool with it. Maybe because I don't hear much whistling any more. Perhsps Spanish people are not prone to whistling. How about where you are?

Very little of my showering is spent with water flowing into my mouth.

Whistling in public is unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
      Whistling in public is unacceptable.
      Yep.

Comment

How about wandering about the house singing about how class sw2borshch is to varyingly popular tunes of bygone days?

Comment

Probably one for the irrationally angry thread, but older men* whistling in public makes me borderline violent. It's not just obliviousness....its arrogance that makes you think everyone else should be subjected to your jaunty little tune. When I'm in Home Depot and some old fart walks past whistling away, I'm seriously looking around for a good length of pipe with which to bash the fucker.

No issues with singing in the shower.

*It's always older men

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            Probably one for the irrationally angry thread, but older men* whistling in public makes me borderline violent
            No, this is an entirely reasonable reaction.

Comment

Probably one for the irrationally angry thread, but older men* whistling in public makes me borderline violent. It's not just obliviousness....its arrogance that makes you think everyone else should be subjected to your jaunty little tune. When I'm in Home Depot and some old fart walks past whistling away, I'm seriously looking around for a good length of pipe with which to bash the fucker.

*It's always older men
              Younger men just crank up their car stereos.

Comment

I sing in the shower. I also don't shower with my face pointing up, except when I need to rinse it.
                I will admit to whistling outside, though I stop if I notice that there are people nearby, more out of embarrassment at my lack of tunefulness than anything else.

Comment

*It's always older men
                  Totally opposite. I miss whistling in the street. I don't do it 'cos I can't, It used to be common when I was kid though, bus conductors did it, shop assistants, delivery men. I don't see what's wrong with it, it lightens and humanises the day. Nowadays there's just a street full of people staring at screens.

And yes I absolutely sing in the shower.

Comment

I'll sing around the house and while driving, and whistle in the garden, but whistling in public or singing in the shower seems a bit odd. Though I might whistle at times on the shower. Happily I can whistle in tune, so my neighbours can play "Spot The Tune".

I am with AdC on people whistling in public, as long as they only pass by. It's nice to see people in a happy mood.

Comment

Oh, that's interesting. I see 'happy whistler' as almost a cartoon stereotype. When I see it in real life, it seems like a manifeststion of insecurity or nervousness. It's too self-consciously 'lookit me all happy and relaxed'.

That could be an uncharitable reading due to my fucking loathing it.

Comment

I find myself singing more in supermarkets since I've starting wearing facemasks.

Comment

I sing around the house constantly. It is one of my great joys in life after previously living with a boyfriend for two years who didn't like it because it reminded him of either his middle aged aunt or a Christian schoolgirl. I also sometimes sing with the children while walking around the town, especially when walking home from swimming lessons when we often make up new versions of existing pop songs (the last walk I remember we made up various versions of "Gold" such as " It's grown mould! Always avoid the mould! It's got the power to grow, it's indestructible, so always avoid the mould!")

This occasionally gets embarrassing when other people walk past but I've decided I don't really care.

I am fairly rubbish at whistling. I can just about manage a verse of happy birthday if I've got a glass of water nearby (my lips dry out almost instantaneously when I start whistling) but that's it. Daughter is currently trying to learn to whistle with no success yet.

Comment

Mrs Thistle whistles. Often without realising it. Sometimes I ask her why she's whistling, say, the Mister Men theme tune, or Mah-Na-Mah-Na, or Charmless Man by Blur. Then she looks embarrassed because she didn't know she was doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Mrs Thistle whistles. Often without realising it. Sometimes I ask her why she's whistling, say, the Mister Men theme tune, or Mah-Na-Mah-Na, or Charmless Man by Blur. Then she looks embarrassed because she didn't know she was doing it.
                              "Mrs Thistle whistles" is a great sentence. Should be the start of a book.

Comment

I whistle a lot around the house, usually something that I've listened to earlier that has lodged in the brain.

Although a strong and melodious singer, my wife cannot whistle to save her life. I mean she can perform the physical act of whistling, but any resemblance to a tune is an entirely random event. I'd say that she gets maybe one note in three correct, with the others at least a semi-tone and occasionally a whole tone flat of the intended target. She thinks that she is perfectly in tune though and genuinely cannot understand the laughs that this generates from the rest of the family. To hear her whistling the 'Match Of The Day' theme is a particular joy.

Comment

I should have been clearer in my OP re singing in the shower. The open mouth bit was obviously a bit of a throwaway and not thought-through comment. But one of the reasons I don't sing in the shower is that I'm not there long enough. I'd say between one and two minutes, which is well enough time to wet oneself, rub on the soap or gel, rinse and get out. Up to three or four minutes I could understand but any longer is wasting precious water. My hair - what I have of it - gets some shampoo maybe once a week. The rest of the time water is enough. And this was the case back when I had luxuriant curly locks.

Cold showers are great, by the way. A minute's invigorating and blood-circulating pleasant shock.

Comment

Of course you keep it down to a minute if you have cold showers.

Comment

I sing in the shower, around the house, walking around the office if I have a tune in my head, but I really come alive in the car when driving. I have full on concerts there.

I struggle to whistle.

Comment

I've mentioned Bill next door before. Bill is a Glaswegian ex ad man, and looks like a troll. Truly frightening on all levels. His conversational crutch word is 'fookin', which he'll use liberally to man, woman or child. He's also the loveliest person you could want to know and he sings at all the seniors' homes in the area for free - walking there, towing his karaoke machine behind him. Thing is, Bill can fookin sing. Puttering out back, you will genuinely think you're listening to a too-loud recording of some old Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett song and will realize it's Bill rehearsing on the back deck. Anyway, Bill whistles on doctor's orders to strengthen his lungs, and he can whistle beautifully. I can just about tolerate it.

Comment

People whistling in public places are seldom engaging their brains, or indeed engaging with anything or anyone.

Especially those that whistle festive songs in the middle of summer: as some might recall, that’s a particular bugbear of mine. It’s July - not even close to Christmas. Go home, stop bothering everyone and have a think about your life choices.

Comment

Haha.

I find myself singing krismas songs at all times of year. They're fun. But whistling them at any time of the year is unacceptable.

Comment

Back in the days when I took proper showers, I used to sing, but only simple choruses or shouty bits ("Never Made It" by Peter And The Test Tube Babies or the end of "Never Let Me Down Again" by Depeche Mode). I never did it in football dressing-rooms, though.

It wasn't that long after I'd met The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With that she looked at me rather oddly after I'd been 'singing' the chorus (which is exactly the same as the title) of "Thalidomide" by The Pack in the shower.

Comment

(I have a kinda misophonia thing going on with whistling)
                                                Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 03-07-2021, 14:16.

Comment

I've also no truck with whistling. Except maybe at the end of Dock of the Bay.

Singing in the shower on the other hand ... it was only this morning that I did Caravan of Love in the original key. Hit all the high notes too.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X