No announcement yet.

The Post-Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tbf, with a partially brainwashed electorate, they can't.

Not if they want to penetrate the 'blue wall'.

Comment

https://twitter.com/amandapennyc/status/1626834944205983744?t=qP2zopSQevR2ghQSeYN61Q&s=19

Comment

https://twitter.com/vanmaneuro/status/1627382153922113540

Comment

The memory hole gets ever deeper. We could call this new organisation "Economies United", or maybe "EU" for short.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1626528021652951041

Comment

https://twitter.com/mdouganlpool/status/1627718687028281348?t=IB7TD5ZChGnBeBz3mTWPqg&s=19

This is a good thread on the NI border issue.

Comment

How many people here, wherever you live, are experiencing food shortages?

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/bri...ed-2023-02-20/

"Britain is facing a shortage of vegetables, particularly tomatoes, after supermarket supplies were hit by disrupted harvests in southern Europe and north Africa, prompting two major grocers to limit customer purchases.

Asda, Britain's third largest grocer, said on Tuesday it had introduced a temporary three pack limit for purchases of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, salad bags, broccoli, cauliflower and also raspberries.

The British Retail Consortium (BRC), which represents all the major supermarkets including market leader Tesco (TSCO.L) and No. 2 Sainsbury's (SBRY.L), said the supply issues were industry wide.

It said difficult weather in southern Europe and northern Africa had disrupted the harvests of a range of crops.·"
              ·

There are no particular shortages here and neither is anyone I've asked aware of "difficult weather".

Comment

Just been shopping in the Netherlands. Abundant supplies of fruit and veg on offer. Going to make a nice tomato salad for lunch.

Comment

There is a massive amount of time and effort being put in by everyone at the top of society to make sure that 2016-2019 never happened. Everyone involved knows what they did, so if they have to gaslight an entire country, then that is what they will do.

Comment

Yeah. Even Waitrose in a relatively salubrious area like Beckenham or Bromley has about half the range of some things they used to have and the shelves are very often ravaged or empty. Especially for fresh food.

Comment

Just as an aside:

"In 2020, United Kingdom exported $10.2M in Tomatoes, making it the 39th largest exporter of Tomatoes in the world. At the same year, Tomatoes was the 864th most exported product in United Kingdom. The main destination of Tomatoes exports from United Kingdom are: Ireland ($5.92M), Italy ($1.44M), United Arab Emirates ($926k), Netherlands ($540k)

In 2020, United Kingdom imported $581M in Tomatoes, becoming the 4th largest importer of Tomatoes in the world. At the same year, Tomatoes was the 195th most imported product in United Kingdom. United Kingdom imports Tomatoes primarily from: Netherlands ($263M), Spain ($136M), Morocco ($93.5M), France ($37.6M), and Belgium ($20.1M)."

https://oec.world/en/profile/bilater...20(%C2%A32.67M).

So the Netherlands and the UK are swapping tomatoes or is there something about trade or tomatoes I don't get?

Comment

Same in Cambridge. 23 months and a couple of days to go till the latest date for the next UK GE now.

Comment

Well, the UK is importing tomatoes from the Netherlands basically, given the quantities involved. I suspect the ones going the other way are likely to be a speciality of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                            Well, the UK is importing tomatoes from the Netherlands basically, given the quantities involved. I suspect the ones going the other way are likely to be a speciality of some sort.
                            Ah, I missed the k presuming it was M..

Comment

Tesco here in Ireland is also bare shelves for tomatoes/peppers type veg, and Brexit isn't to blame there. They are blaming the weather on Spain and Morocco, I'm guessing their supply chain was too dependent on one or two producers.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                Or for processing/packaging. The Netherlands is a massive global hub for food products.

Comment

Are there problems with lettuce? I've got a good pun about lettuces and Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                    23 months and a couple of days to go till the latest date for the next UK GE now.
                                    And it's 101 days until the Isle of Man TT, which is about as relevant

Comment

We've been limited to a dozen eggs per customer here, and the price has basically tripled.

Edit: due to a combination of bird flu and switching to cage free only.
                                      Last edited by S. aureus; 22-02-2023, 14:45.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ever_england/status/1628092231448920073?t=c3rObDZPoRaIwGWbf_DfiA&s=19

Comment

"We shouldn't buy NOTHING from them anyways. We don't need there filthy food. We should get are fresh fruit and veg from Australia now we go that trade deal"

Comment

Let them eat turnips.

Comment

Blimey, I can't remember the last time I saw a turnip in a shop. Most of our local supermarkets don't sell them, presumably because almost everyone hates turnips.

That Brexity bulldog account Antepli posted with a picture of a market somewhere in the south of France has got to be a parody account surely?

Comment

Oh wait, this is going to kick off the whole turnip v swede thing again isn't it. Abort! Abort!

Comment

What ye call swedes are lovely. What ye cal turnips are pale watery rankness. That the truth.

Comment

Me personally? I don't call anything swedes, they're all turnips to me. I assumed Coffey meant the big orange ones (which she might, being Northern)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X