No announcement yet.

Ridiculous minor trivial irritations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I typically find that mood = hotdog is very highly correlated to my visits to Home Depot. I resist more often than I should, but they rock out the best dogs you can find.

Comment

I have never seen a hot dog at Home Depot.

Comment

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/10...at-home-depot/

Comment

Yeah - it is a thing and it is very popular. As in getting out of Home Depot with large items can be quite a pain in the ass due to crowds at Franks.

Comment

That looks horrendous. I don't really think a hot dog should have anything in it other than a frankfurter and some mustard, maybe onions at a push

Comment

At least you didn’t mention ketchup. sport peppers and giardiniera are interesting.

Comment

I’m not sure wagyu and hot dogs make sense. Isn’t the point of wagyu the marbling?

Sport pepper - as I think has been discussed before - is a daft term, almost as daft as bread and butter pickle.

If Home Depot served even moderately acceptable hot dogs in my parts of the world, home maintenance projects would become marginally less loathsome.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Sure, there are better ways to prepare hot dogs. Fried in butter, for instance. But none are as incredibly rapid and involve zero clean-up if you’re in that kind of mood
                  Sporting will be along in a moment to tell you that cleaning frying pans is unnecessarily medicinal.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    Also, no offence Sporting but that "medical news" site looks proper quack to me so I won't be taking hygiene advice (or any other advice) off it.
                    Absolutely no offence taken. and you're probably right. All I can say is that it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Sporting will be along in a moment to tell you that cleaning frying pans is unnecessarily medicinal.
                      Wiping them down is fine. But residual oil is good for a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        bread and butter pickle
                        Excuse me?

While we're here, what are these roller things people are talking about re: the cooking (heating up, surely?) of hot dog dogs?

Comment

Mostly I understood you shouldn't wash frying pans too much. If I use the non-stick wok as a frying pan, I just wipe it. If I use it to make a curry, it gets a wash.

As an outsider, it always seems that the cultural value of hot-dogs, especially in US life, is way out of proportion to their culinary value. (I'm trying to think of a UK equivalent.) I can imagine people eating them at a game or a fair, or even serving them at a kids party to evoke the atmosphere, but I'm surprised at people making them at home otherwise.

My memory of them from when I last ate one (around 1979, at a guess) is that they're horrible, but I don't like smoke flavour. That's a frankfurter, right? Does any type of sausage in a bun count as a hot dog?

Comment

I don;t get hotdogs. On one level that;s probably obvious, but those sausages and that bread are just tasteless crap aren't they? Why not use a good sausage* and a good tasty, crunchy bread roll, or a length of baguette? Much more tasty, enjoyable to eat and feels like food, rather than just some kind of presumably Freudian stuff to occupy your mouth for a while.

(*vegetarian obviously, but you can do you)

I'm getting that SB sees the hotdog as merely something to put condiments on, so it is supposed to be tasteless (but I'm not really sure of what the function of the "sausage" is in this. You could just spread mustard on a slide of bread for example. (My older daughter actually does this, but she's a student))

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              I don;t get hotdogs. On one level that;s probably obvious, but those sausages and that bread are just tasteless crap aren't they? Why not use a good sausage* and a good tasty, crunchy bread roll, or a length of baguette? Much more tasty, enjoyable to eat and feels like food, rather than just some kind of presumably Freudian stuff to occupy your mouth for a while.
                              Yeah this is the thing, you can have good sausages and good bread (and good pickles and sauces and that). And that's good. Cheap franks and shit bread is a bit shit. Though convenient at times.
                              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 01-02-2023, 08:50.

Comment

Yes, surely decent bread is absolutely vital in any meai or sarnie.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  Yes, surely decent bread is absolutely vital in any meai or sarnie.
                                  Careful. The weirdos on here think that a hot dog is not a sarnie

Comment

Of course it isn't, you silly man.

Comment

Back to the soap or no soap question for a moment, I’m straddling between Sporting’s camp and the rump. So to speak.

My GP advised me that one should use only water around the nether areas as the scents and chemicals in soaps - even “gentle” ones - can dry things out a bit and sometimes cause irritation.

That was a couple of years ago, nobody at work has passed out in my presence and Mrs. S isn’t making me sleep in the shed yet.

Comment

I can't get on board with extra faff.

No scents in anything is my motto.

Comment

You can get unscented soap and soap-free cleansing bars (shower gels are not made of soap either) which takes care of the scent and drying out issues. I doubt most people are using actual soap in the shower these days.

Hot dogs are such a German foodstuff in my mind that I forget most people are using the US ones as their main reference. The quality of the sausages is certainly not a problem with the German ones

Comment

No indeed, unscented soap-free stuff is all I use.

And yeah we're talking USian hot dogs, not good ones.

Comment

The Polish chilled section is the place to go for hot dogs which are approaching "quite good". Morliny Classic. They're individually wrapped which is a slight faff, but hints at higher quality and they're at least made with pork rather than pressure washed chicken scraps you get in the tins.

Comment

Just to be clear, good hot dog sausages do exist in the US. The Kayem Fenway Franks in Boston are good, and come in a sensible 8 pack.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                  The Polish chilled section is the place to go
                                                  Are Polish chilled sections common where you shop?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Are Polish chilled sections common where you shop?
                                                    Fairly common here, I'd say.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X