• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridiculous minor trivial irritations

People who write "Chrimbo"

​​​​​When I write it as "Crimbo"…

Let's call the whole thing off?

Comment

Why is it always the same corner of the mattress cover that pings off?

Comment

How about people who start new threads about topics already being discussed, often with an oblique title and just a link to a news article in the post?

Comment

People who write 'C(h)rimbo' full stop.

Comment

At risk of irritating my good friends Snaky and Madame Nef, would it be possible to stop posts that include Twitter and similar links without added comment? Begging yer pardon, Majesty

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
              At risk of irritating my good friends Snaky and Madame Nef, would it be possible to stop posts that include Twitter and similar links without added comment? Begging yer pardon, Majesty
              I like the way that embedded tweets usually include the link plus the comment. You can choose to click through or not - but crucially, unlike with links - you already know whether it's of interest to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                Nef usually adds an opinion.

Comment

People standing in shop doorways, or in the middle of a supermarket aisle (even more so when they aren't actually looking at anything and are on the phone), or any other narrow space where they don't need to be standing, therefore preventing anyone getting past without coming within a metre of them. Or people on a footpath who stop to talk to someone they know, and then stand either side of the path, requiring everyone else to pass between them, when they could just as easily both stand to the side and get their own 2m separation longways.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    People who write 'C(h)rimbo' full stop.
                    This.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                      People standing in shop doorways, or in the middle of a supermarket aisle (even more so when they aren't actually looking at anything and are on the phone), or any other narrow space where they don't need to be standing, therefore preventing anyone getting past without coming within a metre of them. Or people on a footpath who stop to talk to someone they know, and then stand either side of the path, requiring everyone else to pass between them, when they could just as easily both stand to the side and get their own 2m separation longways.
                      They're neither ridiculous nor trivial irritations.

Comment

Worse than people writing Chrimbo is people saying Chrimbo. If you want to abbreviate Christmas by saying a word shorter than Christmas, then it needs to be one syllable. Chrim would work. Or Smas. Both would be annoying, but would make more sense.

Comment

People who say "exmas".

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            People who say "exmas".
                            It's supposed to be more inclusive

Comment

You could differentiate between Xmases by having Exmas for last year, and Thismas for the upcoming one?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

It's supposed to be more inclusive
                                Is it? No-one ever told me that. It just sounds like someone not understanding what written shorthand is and saying something daft.

Comment

People who say "exmas".
                                  Many Germans pronounce it "iksmas"*. I understand why they pronounce it like that, but that doesn't make it any less bad.

(* There is, of course, a German word for Christmas. I'm talking about when they read it out loud from an English-language Christmas card, or when they want to offer me season's greetings in English.)

Comment

Is it? No-one ever told me that. It just sounds like someone not understanding what written shorthand is and saying something daft.
                                    No I was joking, riffing on the Latinx thread

Comment

Well I thought it was funny, ad hoc.

Comment

Don't you find that jokes are always that much funnier once explained?

(soz)

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                          Worse than people writing Chrimbo is people saying Chrimbo.
                                          Well, yes, I was incorporating all uses of it.

'Chrissie' - I've heard that a few times in the past too. Just plain nasty.

Comment

Further to that, people who post - instead of Happy Thanksgiving - Happy Turkey Day or Happy Gobble Gobble. I have a FB acquaintance who enjoys wishing everyone, on their birthday "Happy Happy to my nephew", etc. I've yet to see 'Happy Boo! Day on Halloween, but I'm sure it's not far off.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              Happy Gobble
                                              Surely that's a different thing altogether...

Comment

Valentines Day?

Comment

If you're lucky.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X