No announcement yet.

Georgia. Mmmm Georgia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked My Cousin Vinnie, and all I know about grits I learned from that. The cast was great. Fred Gwynne! Marisa Tomei! Joe Pesci! Ralph Macchio!

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      I realise I didn't put the link in to my West Virginia fast food experience yesterday. Definitely the kind of place to take Treibeis on his Grand Tour:

http://tudorsbiscuitworld.com/Menu/Biscuits.aspx
      They put a McDonald's style hash brown in the biscuit sandwich. They've changed the entire game. Holy shit I want to have one of those so badly now, preferably the Thundering Herd.

Comment

It also has some of the most true to life courtroom scenes ever filmed by Hollywood

The reason why grits are worse than polenta is that the corn for grits has to be nixtamalized (soaked in an alkaloid solution)

Comment

I've never seen fried apples used the way they way they are at that West Virginia eatery

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

They put a McDonald's style hash brown in the biscuit sandwich. They've changed the entire game. Holy shit I want to have one of those so badly now, preferably the Thundering Herd.
            You're a conundrum, you are. Ethno-left coast intellectual with a streak of southern gastronomical redneck. It's disorienting sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
              I liked My Cousin Vinnie, and all I know about grits I learned from that. The cast was great. Fred Gwynne! Marisa Tomei! Joe Pesci! Ralph Macchio!
              It's a surprisingly 'small' movie with a very rich script. I watched it again about a month ago and was pleasantly surprised. By that same token, I watched Trading Places and Beverly Hills Cop back to back recently. TP has a genuinely terrific script, whereas BHC was only successful because Eddie was at the top of his game in it (notwithstanding it wasn't written as a comedy, or with him in mind for the lead).

Comment

I watch Trading Places every year betwixt Xmas and NY. Why on earth it got a summer release date is utterly beyond me. I love it so much, though in parts it's worn very, very badly.

Comment

As for grits, they're surprisingly bad considering that they should basically be no different to polenta. They're thinner and soupier and more porridgy and less tasty and massively over-rated. There are better things to eat in every diner.
                  They don't have to be so soupy. You put butter, salt and shrimp with them and it works.

Comment

Inca has a native Angeleno's appreciation for weirding food (cf. Calvin's "verbing weirds language").

There is no other part of the country that is better at this than LA. I think it is rooted in the mix of ethnicities and culinary traditions and the wide availability of all kinds of ingredients.

Comment

I realise I didn't put the link in to my West Virginia fast food experience yesterday. Definitely the kind of place to take Treibeis on his Grand Tour:

http://tudorsbiscuitworld.com/Menu/Biscuits.aspx
                      I notice they serve "Country Fried Steak." I believe that is the same as a "chicken-fried steak" but with a less-confusing name, although I suppose it does raise the question of "which country?"

I also recently learned that there's more than one way to do "chicken and waffles." I recall that this PA version used to be served in our school cafeteria sometimes. It didn't go over well. There was definitely a cultural gap between the western Pennsylvania natives who made the food and the sugar-addled kids who were supposed to eat it.
                      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 04-12-2020, 15:53.

Comment

I watch Trading Places every year betwixt Xmas and NY. Why on earth it got a summer release date is utterly beyond me. I love it so much, though in parts it's worn very, very badly.
                        I watched it for the first time in years, over with the neighbours last christmas, and I was thinking "This is holding together really well." and then it gets to the train journey And oh deary dear.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Inca has a native Angeleno's appreciation for weirding food (cf. Calvin's "verbing weirds language").

There is no other part of the country that is better at this than LA. I think it is rooted in the mix of ethnicities and culinary traditions and the wide availability of all kinds of ingredients.
                          Home of the pastrami burrito!

I don't get it all the time, but I have certainly had my share of sausage McMuffin combos from McDonald's. All that time I've had the hash brown on the side, and I've never thought of slamming it in the sandwich. I feel like I've let myself down, more than anything.

The McDonald's hash brown is I think an underappreciated classic. It may be the best thing on their menu. The fries are great, but you can get some bad batch of fries. I've never had a bad hash brown from them. Going back to Georgia, when we were in Atlanta we went to a breakfast place one morning run by two wonderful guys who were married. They had a omelette special that had a McDonald's-style hash brown inside the omelette. I was in heaven.

Comment

Yes. There's the bump with the totally gratuitous shots of the half-naked women (which only seem gratuitous in the context of not knowing whether that sort of thing happened all the time at parties in 1982...) and then...

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I watched it for the first time in years, over with the neighbours last christmas, and I was thinking "This is holding together really well." and then it gets to the train journey And oh deary dear.
                              Yeah. Blackface, ethnic stereotyping, and rape played for laughs all in one!

Comment

Yeah. Blackface, ethnic stereotyping, and rape played for laughs all in one!
                                The '80s sometimes feels like a different country.

But yes to the McDonalds hash browns. When you get them hot, they're sublime.

My mother in law (east coaster) serves those oven-baked hash brown patties with baked beans on top of them. They're surprisingly good.

Comment

Home of the pastrami burrito!

I don't get it all the time, but I have certainly had my share of sausage McMuffin combos from McDonald's. All that time I've had the hash brown on the side, and I've never thought of slamming it in the sandwich. I feel like I've let myself down, more than anything.

The McDonald's hash brown is I think an underappreciated classic. It may be the best thing on their menu. The fries are great, but you can get some bad batch of fries. I've never had a bad hash brown from them. Going back to Georgia, when we were in Atlanta we went to a breakfast place one morning run by two wonderful guys who were married. They had a omelette special that had a McDonald's-style hash brown inside the omelette. I was in heaven.
                                  Merging the two strands, there was a place in Oceanside that served a Breakfast Burrito that had lovely crunchy tater tots inside. I'm sure you could do the same with a McD's hash brown.

Comment

Yes. There's the bump with the totally gratuitous shots of the half-naked women (which only seem gratuitous in the context of not knowing whether that sort of thing happened all the time at parties in 1982...) and then...
                                    Every R-rated comedy in the 80s had at least one shot like that and reportedly, actresses were often given the "you'll do this shot or you'll never work in this town again" threat, which is upsetting.

Comment

And yes, Trading Places is a very good film - possibly the second best Christmas film - apart from the bits where you suddenly think "Holy fuck! Society was still this rotten this far into the 80s that they thought this was acceptable?"

Comment

Sausage McMuffins were my weak spot for a couple of years, but three hours later you'd get a bout of regret equalled only by KFC regret.

Comment

Sausage McGriddles are my pre-golf weak spot if I'm playing an early round.

Comment

And yes, Trading Places is a very good film - possibly the second best Christmas film - apart from the bits where you suddenly think "Holy fuck! Society was still this rotten this far into the 80s that they thought this was acceptable?"
                                            What's also shocking - and I've commented on this before - is the language. Planes, Trains and Automobiles has some eye-widening exchanges, as does Uncle Buck. I don't remember being suitably shocked at the time.

Comment

I take it that in the US you have found a clever way of not getting the hash browns stuck to the paper bag that they come in? Because that is totally beyond the local McDonalds

Comment

No, we have to peel them about 50% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  So there is no non-cheese option? Come the revolution, etc etc
                                                  It's hard enough being an Ovo-Lacto vegetarian, as my partner is. We were holidaying in a small town in Texas (extended family reasons rather than a particular fetish for that sort of thing). One place we went to had literally no starters or mains without meat, so she ordered a humongous (aka standard Texas size) dessert for her meal.

​​​​​​At another place, she saw there was a baked potato on the menu, with choice of toppings, there were quite a few cheese and meat options, so she thought she would chance her arm at asking for just cheese.
                                                  Server: You mean the cheese and bacon?
                                                  Partner: No, just cheese. I'm vegetarian.
                                                  Server: Oh. We don't do that. The potatoes are all made up before we open each day.
                                                  Us: ...
                                                  Server: Sorry
                                                  Me: Isn't there anything vegetarian you can do?
                                                  Server: I'll check with the manager.

The manager came to us shortly, heard the story, then checked "out back" and miraculously found a virgin potato that they could cheese up. I suspect they just emptied one of the pre-made ones, but we couldn't spot any signs of bacon, so my partner was happy enough to eat it.

Comment

McDonald's fries are pretty rotten food. As are their hash browns.

I went to a diner in NYC one time. Years ago. No real idea where either. I think I had something eggy.

It was raining. It was either just before or just after someone called me "sir" in the street for the first time in my life.

Great story huh?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X