• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread.

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1528743964647510022

Comment

This is a very unconventional lineup

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1531739594009583616?s=21&t=RUrfvJNaBT9sEiOTL3Js5g

Comment

they've blocked a ban on moderation

sorry, i just had to write that down to get the triple negative straight in my head

Comment

That’s good, I guess.

Comment

They actually lifted an injunction that had prevented a ban on moderation from going to into effect,

No one said this stuff was supposed to be simple.

Comment

So the ban is happening? That doesn’t sound feasible.

Comment

No.

The Legislature passed the ban.

The District Court enjoined it from going into effect.

The Fifth Circuit vacated the injunction.

The Supremes reversed the Fifth Circuit.

Comment

Ok
                  It would be easier if they just used logic symbols.

Comment

I never realised that enjoined was the verbal form of injunction.

Comment

These could work

Comment

Comment

Deplane

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            The Supremes reversed the Fifth Circuit.
                            You Keep Me Hanging On...

Comment

For those interested in what is likely to happen over the next month, this podcast is very good (and therefore incredibly depressing)

https://twitter.com/JuliaRingma/status/1533057374046629888?s=20&t=_tXTLHl9MhvZTNvX2TH4xg

Comment

The theocratic majority uses the Free Exercise.Clause to once.again pump bullets into the corpse of the Establishment Clause
                                https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1539255326108688385?t=aiQBvNAHhCVa60CWIej-IQ&s=19]

Comment

So the state is now being forced to pay for religious schools, even though those religious schools are private, and even if there's a non-religious alternative? Is that right?

Comment

If they want to continue subsiding the non-religious alternatives (which are already private, but not religious), yes.

Comment

There are people "whose home district has no school"?

Comment

Yes, rural Maine is extremely thinly populated, yet the districts are often quite small

The question comes to the court in a case from Maine, where over half of the school districts don’t operate their own high schools and instead pay for students to attend public or private schools, both inside and outside the state.
                                        It makes very little sense, but it isn't that unusual for a US "school district" to include only a single primary school.
                                        Last edited by ursus arctos; 21-06-2022, 15:33.

Comment

That's ridiculous.

Comment

I was trying to be broad minded.

As I seem to be saying more and more frequently, ours is not a serious country in many ways.

Comment

https://twitter.com/sandylocks/status/1539278248063995920

Comment

Destroying public education in the US has been a fundamental goal of the DeVos Libertarian wing of the GOP for decades, and they have never been closer to realizing their goal than they are now.

Comment

I think they will succeed in some places, but it will eventually sink them in relatively well-off suburban areas.

Because they don’t just want to funnel money to religious education, they want teachers to be paid a lot less. There is already a teacher shortage. Charter schools are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Also, forcing kids to go to shitty underfunded religious schools, which is their ultimate plan, will be bad for religion’s already heavily damaged brand.

I have literally never met a single adult who went to a religious high school or college that stayed in that church as an adult. Not a one. And I’ve met a lot of people who went to such schools.

They are out there, no doubt, but I suspect the ones that had a good experience in religious education went to especially wealthy schools. It’s easy to love Jesus when he’s helping you win state championships and get prestigious internships.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                    It’s easy to love Jesus when he’s helping you win state championships and get prestigious internships.
                                                    Corinthians, 10:16

Comment

Working...
                                                    X