Your own personal prejudices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the Depeche Mode earworm in the thread title intentional?

Anyway, my own prejudice: Anybody with a southside Dublin (specifically D4) accent is some fucker who got where they did because of who they knew and not what they knew. Additionally, they have no interest in their job but are only in it for the status and perks. Fuckers, all of them.

Same for the Dutch equivalent.

These types seem to particularly prevalent in broadcasting and the press.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
      Flip flops on anyone but unforgivably cute girls between the ages of 18 and 25 with exceptional footular maintenance habits.
      Don't ever come to Australia then. You'll spontaneously combust.

Comment

Bryaniesta wrote:
        Was the Depeche Mode earworm in the thread title intentional?

Anyway, my own prejudice: Anybody with a southside Dublin (specifically D4) accent is some fucker who got where they did because of who they knew and not what they knew. Additionally, they have no interest in their job but are only in it for the status and perks. Fuckers, all of them.

Same for the Dutch equivalent.

These types seem to particularly prevalent in broadcasting and the press.
        Sounds like the current CEO of Qantas, Alan Joyce...

Comment

Ok I will most likely get slaughtered for this, but seeing as this is the WSC truth and Reconciliation thread, I'm hoping that what happens in this thread stays in this thread;

My prejudice, though it may well be better classified as annoyance, is massively over the top queenie camp-ness in some gay people. You know the type. the ones who have to celebrate their 'gayness' at every available opportunity.

There are so many tired old cliches - The whole Wizard of Oz / Steps / Kylie / G.A.Y.E. thing and the constant bad Carry On style innuendo just drives me nuts.

I find it unbearable to talk to these people. And it's not like I haven't tried,as I have had gay friends in the past, with whom I have gone out clubbing and whatnot.

I do understand that part of being gay for some people is celebrating their sexuality. Which is fine. But there are some for whom this is their 'raison det're' - which, again, is fine for them.

It's just that I find this particular type of person extremely irritating.

Sorry if that has offended anybody.

Comment

Not at all. I was going to mention lesbians.

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
              Not at all. I was going to mention lesbians.
              what, all of them?

Comment

No, only the ones I've met.

Comment

I'm not sure that counts as a prejudice, does it?

Comment

Fuckin' pork eaters.

Comment

If I was drinking tea it would be all over the laptop.

Comment

Moolag, I'm sure there are some gay men who bung on the 'campness', but many camp gay men are just naturally 'like that', aren't they?

Comment

willie1foot wrote:
                          Moolag, I'm sure there are some gay men who bung on the 'campness', but many camp gay men are just naturally 'like that', aren't they?
                          There are camp and non camp gay men, same as there are camp and non camp heterosexual men. My annoyance is with those overtly camp gay men. I haven't met any overtly camp heterosexuals, but I guess there are those too.

I can't claim to have come across any of those though. Pardon the pun.

Comment

So it's just camp gay men in general? Fair enough. I worked in an industry where there's a high proportion of gay men, so campness doesn't really bother me, but I can see how it might make people uncomfortable.

A bit like people who like to stand really close to you.

Comment

willie1foot wrote:
                              Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                              Flip flops on anyone but unforgivably cute girls between the ages of 18 and 25 with exceptional footular maintenance habits.
                              Don't ever come to Australia then. You'll spontaneously combust.
                              Spot on Willie. I must admit I have one pair, dark blue, worn only when away on hols in North Queensland where they would be considered quite sophisticated (they are Havianas after all).

Er Liquidatore wrote:
                              White person with dreadlocks - fuck off
                              This. In spades.

I mentioned this one to Mrs. Stone, and she was off:

MRS. S: "Yes, because they look dirty. Actually dirty people in general. Not people who can't help it, like homeless people, but people who can afford to be clean, but aren't. Actually, men with long hair."

S: "What all men?"

MRS. S: "Yes, any man with long hair, especially over 30. Often they are going a bit thin on top, and think long hair will disguise it. I have an urge to creep up behind them with a pair of scissors."

S: "Knowing the demographic of the board, I imagine a fair number of the men on there have long hair."

MRS. S: "They need to know!"

Comment

And now my turn in the confession box. I've tried, I've really tried. The (highly tolerant, see upthread) Mrs. Stone has suppressed my outward expression of this prejudice but I can still feel it boiling away.

Pedestrian behaviour in Sydney.

EXHIBIT A: In the City or any town centre, where traffic is restricted to 50kmh or even 40kmh, there is a substantial rump of the pedestrian population who feel it is their right to cross the road, anywhere they choose, regardless of the proximity or otherwise of pedestrian crossings (of which there are plenty) and that it is the duty of car drivers to avoid killing them. They even give you filthy looks if they think you're getting too close.

EXHIBIT B: This is my worst hang-up; I got in trouble with Mrs. S for writing to the local rag about it. Some of the residential streets in Sydney's Northern suburbs don't have pavements. Some have pavements on one side only. Others have pavements on both sides. Now if there are no pavements, then of course it's necessary to walk at the gutter, or on the verge. However, there is (another) significant rump of the pedestrian population who consider it their right to walk in the road, even where pavements exist. A previous neighbour of ours did this; when I challenged him politely, he said it was because many of the pavements are uneven, and early in the morning they often have spiders' webs across them which are unpleasant to blunder through. Both true enough, but is it better to risk death by vehicle strike, than have to put up with an uneven pavement or a spider's web?

And this isn't just kerb-hugging either; many of these folk are feet away from the kerb. Last Sunday I watched a lady walk the entire length of our (admittedly quiet-ish) street, RIGHT DOWN THE FUCKING MIDDLE. There's another guy I see some mornings (who incidentally I have decided is a fascist because he drives a Porsche Cayenne Turbo) who walks about a foot from the kerb, with his dog on a lead another foot and a half into the road i.e. close to the middle, acting as his buffer. He WILL NOT move in even an inch if a car is passing him (yes, I've studied this). I have now invested his and others's such behaviour with a considerable degree of pig-headedness, and despite the urgings of my family I can't shake this perception.

There, I've said it.

Comment

Oh, and these:

Oh, right then. I was about to smash two foot into your fucking boot, but if there's a baby in there I'll take a bit more care.

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                    Why at Last! wrote:
                                    I don't think most men can have small dicks. By definition. I mean, compared to what?
                                    Big dicks, perhaps.

Anywa, nobody's mentioned averages here, and while that may be implict, no clue is given as to whether any average would mean mean, median or mode. And certainly for mean or mode it'd be possible for the majority to be on the small side.
                                    It would, though I would guess the skewness is low here.

Comment

grippersi wrote:
                                      If I meet a male who is 30+ in years, and his taste in music is crap, then I prejudice against him and take no interest in him further. This applies to most parents of children in my daughter's class at primary school.

Taking this to its extreme, and I have said this before elsewhere, but if a male in his 40s has never heard of The Fall, then he is a twat. (My gripe used to be 'he doesn't like The Fall' but I have softened in my old age. I now merely distrust any such men who have heard of but do not like The Fall.)

I myself am a massive twat.
                                      Made me laugh, this.

(I honestly have no idea who The Fall are)

Comment

moolag wrote:
                                        Ok I will most likely get slaughtered for this, but seeing as this is the WSC truth and Reconciliation thread, I'm hoping that what happens in this thread stays in this thread;

My prejudice, though it may well be better classified as annoyance, is massively over the top queenie camp-ness in some gay people. You know the type. the ones who have to celebrate their 'gayness' at every available opportunity.

There are so many tired old cliches - The whole Wizard of Oz / Steps / Kylie / G.A.Y.E. thing and the constant bad Carry On style innuendo just drives me nuts.

I find it unbearable to talk to these people. And it's not like I haven't tried,as I have had gay friends in the past, with whom I have gone out clubbing and whatnot.

I do understand that part of being gay for some people is celebrating their sexuality. Which is fine. But there are some for whom this is their 'raison det're' - which, again, is fine for them.

It's just that I find this particular type of person extremely irritating.

Sorry if that has offended anybody.
                                        My dear, sweet, moolag***:

As a 'person of homosexuality', I got so fucking annoyed with these queens, that I would go out of my way to purposely avoid them at all costs.

Which is a problem. Because, sometimes (only sometimes) it is an act to hide the insecurities. 'Of course' you might think. However, after years of persecution, an 'act' such as this can be a powerful shield against it. It can be so massively annoying, that you will only get one punch in the face, rather than the couple of massive kickings that, say, I have had by looking and sounding unobtrusive and generally normal, and in the wrong place at the very wrong time.

However, as much as I think I have grown up (in with love, out with hate etc), fuck them. They still annoy the shit out of me. There are two at work who, in any moment of stress for them, switch on the 'queen' button, and start to superimpose (lovely word for this) themselves on the situation, which is entirely the wrong thing.

There are people who 'sound' effeminate, both gay and straight.

The ones to be avoided at all costs, are those who would seek to have an advantage, by being 'effeminate' at the wrong times, to the discomfort of others.

They, my dear moolag, are card-carrying, cunts (copyright 'The Boys in The Band'). And, as an occasional flag-waving homosexual, I thank you for bringing this up. I am in almost total agreement.

(And I now thoroughly hate myself for saying this out loud.)

*I reserve the right to amend this at any point in the future, and I reserve the right to call any male, 'she' and 'her', and dish when I feel like it. So you know, 'get with the program, ladies'. (Makes 'W' sign with hands...)

*** that wasnt a gay thing, that was just a Platonic kiss on the forehead for saying the almost unsayable. I have so many prejudices about gay men, I wrote a book about them. It was a love story.

Comment

willie1foot wrote:

A bit like people who like to stand really close to you.
                                          ooo, I forgot about this. 'Personal space invaders'. I become 'gesticular' (I know that isnt the word for someone who makes gestures whilst talking), and make sure that one of my gestures includes a hand to the person's chest (male or female), and then apologise, and say that they were standing a little too close.

Comment

stonelephant wrote:
                                            Oh, and these:

Oh, right then. I was about to smash two foot into your fucking boot, but if there's a baby in there I'll take a bit more care.

Comment

I think there is a good chance that I may 'move in' to this thread.

I have a day off today, so be warned all, I have so many prejudices/annoyances (and there was a previous thread on major annoyances, if my memory serves, in one of its infrequent lucid moments), that I will buy some beer and popcorn, and inhabit this place like a rash.

Sorry.

Comment

Why at Last! wrote:

It would, though I would guess the skewness is low here.
                                                Apparently, Bill Clinton is the man to ask

Comment

All of this.

All.

Thanks, everyone, for sparing me a rant.

Comment

Another one for me, is people who come on a thread about personal prejudices, mention that they have some, and then bugger off without telling us.

That really grinds my gears.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X