Your own personal prejudices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No matter how socially liberal and progressive we are (and I am sure that everyone on OTF is), we all have residual prejudices, of course. However, there are a few prejudices I have that I am not happy with but only catch myself after the event. Some have definitely gone away as I have matured - a knee-jerk dislike of members of the police and the armed forces, for instance.

However, there are two that remain

Firstly, as an example, I was in the supermarket queue and a woman, having seen me, was still not moving her trolly forward so that I could start putting my food on the belt even when I said excuse me. Indeed, she seemed to be making a point not moving her or her trolley at all so that could even get a couple of items on. A rude woman then. That is all I can pick up form that. She was a rude woman. I looked at her purchases and she had a Daily Mail. So she is a rude fascist now. A rude anti-immigrant Thatcherite little Englander fascist. She also was a bit red around the nose and cheeks. She is an alcoholic rude anti-immigrant Thatcherite little Englander fascist who certainly shouldn't be driving home in her condition, maybe I should phone the police. That sort of thing

Secondly, I instantly distrust the Afrikaans accent. Now this is more understandable if not acceptable. Although it is now taught in history lessons, I grew up in the middle of the anti-Apartheid era where anything slightly South African was boycotted. I even boycotted the whole of cricket just in case. The dislike of the Afrikaans accent was almost indoctrinated into me subconsciously. Every apartheid defender we say, apart from Thatcher, had an Afrikaans accent so every Afrikaans was a bastard, yes?

I did grow out of this somewhat. My brother told me about someone who went to school with who was white South African and got a load of shit in school until it was pointed out that his family had moved away from South Africa to get away from apartheid. Therefore, he had done a touch more for anti-apartheid than not buying apples.

I modified my prejudice somewhat and, after an initial sharp intake of breath, upon realising that someone was British South African, I treated them just as any normal person. Indeed, many of best friends are...etc. However, the Afrikaans accent still came with a lot of negative baggage to me. I have met one Afrikaans person that I can think of and it happened that he was an arsehole. He wasn't an arsehole because he was Afrikaans, he was an arsehole that happened to be Afrikaans but I have a worrying feeling that his arseholeness was amplified fo me due to his accent and nationality.

What I am talking about is, of course, most of us, I am sure, take people as they find them but, if they are an arsehole, suddenly our little prejudices come out. It can work the other way, of course.

For instance, I love the Edinburgh accent and, specifically, the Edinburgh accent of those from immigrant families, e.g. Hardeep Singh Kohli and Armando Iannucci, and anyone with that accent could sell me a copy of the Daily Mail quite easily.

Anyway, anyone else got any prejudices that they want to own up to, admit to and hold up for scorn. Obviously, I am not wanting "I hate the Welsh because they are sheepshaggers" , there has to be an element of guilt and confession about it.

Nil thread with people pointing fingers at BoE for the rest of his days

Hardeep Singh Kohli is from Glasgow, not Edinburgh.

Comment

(I have a prejudice against people who can't tell the difference.)

Comment

Who am I thinking of then? The Scottish all look the same to me.

Comment

Iannucci is from Glasgow as well.

I have a prejudice against people who introduce themselves as members of the Liberal Democrats.

Comment

I have this possibly irrational prej about Glaswegians pretending they're from elsewhere.

Comment

Ah, it will be Glaswegians then. Actually, that makes more sense.

Comment

Blokes who wear sunglasses on the top of their heads at Premiership football matches.

Comment

Bored: your prejudices are just standard lefty/liberal thingamybobs. No-one on here is going to think FOR SHAME

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                    Nil thread with people pointing fingers at BoE for the rest of his days
                    Yeah, enjoy that. I once commented that while I find a nose ring or an eyebrow ring or a couple of earrings interesting, I found it a bit off-putting when young girls had all of the above at once. I got called a small minded, judgmental cunt.

Comment

I'll add one to the list of prejudices that absolutely no-one on this site is ging to give two flying fucks about:

White person with dreadlocks - fuck off

Comment

Tattoos on women look fucking rotten, there I've said it.
                        I'm not a fan of tattoos on men either, but those things at the bottom of girls' backs are foul and cheap.
                        I'm not a fan of face piercings either.

Sod's law therefore decreed that my son had a face full of shrapnel in his teens and my daughter recently got some stars tattooed on her foot.

Am I a Daily Mail reader?

Comment

Afrikaners are great.

Comment

My prejudices are evolving all the time.

The first one I clearly remember began around the age of 18. Whenever I encountered a Scottish person they were invariably:
                            1) From Glasgow
                            and either
                            2) Wankered from drink
                            or
                            3) Prone to random conversation interspersed with indeterminate mumbling.

EDIT: OK, it was sometimes all three things.

Comment

Or simply a fan of the inappropriate apostrophe?

Comment

I got a strip torn off me for this once before, but f'kit: Extreme sports types in general and skiers in particular. Seeing young executives on crutches between January and March never fails to give me the horn, figuratively speaking.

Comment

I'll second people who take their sports too seriously; chiefly running and cycling. They always seem utterly joyless, humourless and lacking any other interests which they could talk about.

That might not be entirely accurate, but what's the point of prejudices otherwise?

Comment

Calvert W. McCutcheon wrote:
                                    Tattoos on women look fucking rotten, there I've said it.
                                    I'm not a fan of tattoos on men either, but those things at the bottom of girls' backs are foul and cheap.
                                    I'm not a fan of face piercings either.
                                    Agreed on face piercings, but I think that the plugs in the earlobes are far worse.

Comment

As I've gotten older I've found myself looking at any group of young chaps dressed in sporting gear and being loud as probably being up to no good. They've probably got knives and they're probably going to try and rob me or my significant other.

I've picked up loads of stuff about Italians as well, which I can't be bothered to go into here. Every stereotype you've ever heard is true though, apart from the Latin Lover thing. Oh, and them being well dressed...

Right, scratch that; every negative stereotype about them is true.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                                        Agreed on face piercings, but I think that the plugs in the earlobes are far worse.
                                        True. Although, for some reason, I find pierced noses on women dead sexy.

Comment

I usually look at BMW drivers as selfish cunts who think they own the road, and who have small dicks and probably too much money.

Comment

Oh, and people from Yorkshire are actually all dour and tight as well. Leeds is the only exception.

Comment

If I meet a male who is 30+ in years, and his taste in music is crap, then I prejudice against him and take no interest in him further. This applies to most parents of children in my daughter's class at primary school.

Taking this to its extreme, and I have said this before elsewhere, but if a male in his 40s has never heard of The Fall, then he is a twat. (My gripe used to be 'he doesn't like The Fall' but I have softened in my old age. I now merely distrust any such men who have heard of but do not like The Fall.)

I myself am a massive twat.

Comment

After nearly thirty years of living in the capital, I still don't trust the locals and will forever hate their speech.

Men who shave their heads are obviously ignorant thugs with fascist inclinations. Unless they can prove otherwise. Which rarely happens.

Comment

I always think that women called Dagmar or Birgit are going to be slightly dowdy and have a nasty streak in them.

I can just about get my head around the Birgit one, as I once knew a Birgit who was dowdy and nasty (although I've known several others who were neither). However, I've never met a dowdy, nasty Dagmar. I really don't know where this irrational suspicion comes from.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X