• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trayvon Martin

I hope you're all sitting down before you read this:

Try to contain your shock.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Who the fuck is Susan Estrich and is creators.com a small audience websire (please)?

Looking Evil in the Eye

The three Oklahoma teenagers were, according to official reports, "bored." So they decided to do something: kill the guy who jogged past them. They got in the car, followed him and did just that.

The district attorney described the youngest, the 15-year-old, as having treated the murder as a "joke." He reportedly danced as he was booked. The 16-year-old, supposedly the one who pulled the trigger, showed no emotion when he was charged with first-degree murder. Only the 17-year-old, who is supposedly cooperating, broke down — and only when the prosecutor referenced the "very, very lengthy prison sentence" he is facing. "I didn't pull the trigger," he said. So what?

OK, I'll play carefully. Assuming the facts presented without contradiction to the court to be true, these boys are evil and should rot in hell for what they did.

Now, to get even uglier. The (alleged) killers are African-American. The victim was a young Australian baseball player who attended college in Oklahoma and had just visited his girlfriend. He had a bright future.

The three beasts (again, assuming these facts to be true) are not star athletes and college students. Their lives, I'm sure we will be told, are empty and hopeless.

I don't know whether you call this a "hate" crime or not. That would turn on whether epithets were uttered, whether the victim was selected because of his race, all of that. It really doesn't matter. It doesn't get much uglier than the unprovoked, cold-blooded murder of an innocent victim chosen at random.

Anyone who was the least bit outraged by the killing of Trayvon Martin should be screaming bloody murder right now.

What makes me wonder whether they will?

Mr. President, some thoughts, please? Can you identify with the parents of the kid who went for a jog and ended up dead? No, he doesn't look anything like you would have at 15, at least judged from the color of his skin, but that isn't what matters, is it?
      The real point is that these hooligans — the 15-, 16- and 17-year-old — also bear no relationship to our president when he was that age.

Evil comes in all shapes and sizes and colors, and when we see it, we need to call it for what it is.

News accounts say the two younger boys have had hard lives. The mother of the 15-year-old is in jail. Last year, the 16-year-old lost both his stepfather and his brother. Illness? Murder? Plainly, loss did not make them better people. Perhaps the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Is that cruel? Sure. But we are talking here of pure evil.

Plenty of kids grow up surrounded by all forms of depravation, and yet they would never kill a person to fill a boring day. They know, deep down, the difference between good and evil. Plenty of kids grow up with bad parents and bad families and bad problems, but they don't go shoot a baseball player out for a jog to make their day. It's not black or white. Evil doesn't have a color. Evil is evil.

Then there's the guns issue. An Australian politician and gun-control advocate is already calling for a boycott of tourism to America to protest the killings. It is important to know how these beasts got the gun or guns they used. (According to authorities, they were on their way to another home to commit another murder when they were apprehended.) No responsible gun owner could possibly agree that these beasts had any right to possess a weapon.

But at the end of the day, they did. And they should pay for it for the rest of their lives.
      A piece that is more based on straw men, assumptions and baseless opinion it would be hard to find.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

She's an American political pundit. She's on Fox News and some conservative websites, but she's supported Hillary Clinton and worked for the Dukakis campaign.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

The 17-year-old, who is only charged with accessory, perhaps because he confessed, is white.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

"pure evil", "beasts"; it's like a bad Daily Mail parody.

And she appears not to know the difference between 'deprivation' and 'depravation' when she writes "Plenty of kids grow up surrounded by all forms of depravation".

Comparing this case to Trayvon is extremely dishonest. Did the police refuse to arrest the three kids? Was there a self-defence law that the killers are hiding behind?

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Zimmerman taken into custody after "incident with a gun."

edit: he apparently threatened his wife and her dad with a gun.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

The poster boy for Stand Your Ground.

I can't say that I would feel any outrage if his estranged wife availed herself of SYG next time George comes a callin'. Where's your thirty-eight, darlin'?

Comment

Trayvon Martin

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/09/george_zimmerman_in_investigat.html

"He's in his car, and he continually has his hand on his gun, and he keeps saying, 'Step closer,' and he's just threatening all of us with the firearm."

"Step closer and what?" the dispatcher asked.

"And he's going to shoot us," Shellie Zimmerman reported to the dispatcher.

"I don't know what he's capable of. I'm really, really scared."

Comment

Trayvon Martin

She must be one of the few people in the country who don't know what he's capable of.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Don't say Charlie Pierce didn't warn you...

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Presumably the wife was threatening hapless George with a bag of Skittles.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Oh well, if he winds up in jail, I suppose it won't be for very long. It never is in these domestic violence cases.

Then again a couple of hours in genpop would probably do the trick.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

"Genpop". Get you

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Someone's been catching up on their Lockup RAW when nobody's looking.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Did anyone see the news coverage on this? A Lake Mary police officer claims that there was no gun involved, despite the fact that Zimmerman's own attorney said that his gun was holstered under his shirt. The cop made it sound like they searched for a gun and didn't find one--holstered or not.

Something is very fishy about Zimmerman and his relationship with the Lake Mary police department. I would love to know why they seem to be so protective of the little shithead.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Because he'll shoot them all dead if they aren't?

Comment

Trayvon Martin

One of the right-wing nutters I regularly 'debate' with, is claiming that Zimmo's wife is obviously his government handler, and she must under instructions to destroy him.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Femme Folle wrote: Did anyone see the news coverage on this? A Lake Mary police officer claims that there was no gun involved, despite the fact that Zimmerman's own attorney said that his gun was holstered under his shirt. The cop made it sound like they searched for a gun and didn't find one--holstered or not.

Something is very fishy about Zimmerman and his relationship with the Lake Mary police department. I would love to know why they seem to be so protective of the little shithead.
                                      Yeah, I remember in one of the articles I read yesterday, the Lake Mary police chief said something along the lines of "this is what we know now, but the rest of the story will come out later." Like they were acting as his defense attorney. Really disturbing.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

She's not pressing charges.

George continues to be a very lucky guy.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

This Was Never About Race.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Zimmerman has been arrested again.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

I'm starting to think that he might not be the most safe person to be with.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

George Zimmerman was charged Monday with aggravated assault, domestic violence battery and criminal mischief, after an incident at his girlfriend's home in central Florida, said Dennis Lemma, chief deputy with the Seminole County Sheriff's Office.

Zimmerman, who was acquitted earlier this year of murdering teenager Trayvon Martin, was arrested Monday after he allegedly pointed a shotgun at his girlfriend, a spokesman for the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said.
                                                Pointing a shotgun at her? She must have been really threatening him.

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Incandenza wrote: I'm starting to think that he might not be the most safe person to be with.
                                                  Yes, I think you may be onto something!

Comment

Trayvon Martin

Incandenza wrote: I'm starting to think that he might not be the most safe person to be with.
                                                    He might buy a round, at least:

Bidding reaches $110,000 for George Zimmerman painting.

That could have gone in the "WTF?" thread, I imagine.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X