No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The piece that ad hoc posted is both very good and profoundly depressing.

The human toll of outsourcing is tremendous, especially when the primary reason for the outsourcing is to absolve one of responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

I've been a bit worried about a friend of mine in this regard. The last time I spoke to her was at the start of March, when she told me her 4 year marriage was over.

She's always been adamant that she doesn't want to be a mother, and told her husband this from the start. He agreed, but in the last few months he changed his mind, which caused a lot of arguments between them. They had agreed to split ,and he was going to find a place of his own.

My worry would be if they were still together because he couldn't move out, would he try to "accidentally " get her pregnant. I know it's none of my business, but I can't help worrying about this.
      It's 2020 man, we have birth control to prevent that.

Unless he has locked her up in the room and is raping her of course?

Comment

I know it's unlikely to happen, it's just a random worry of mine.

Comment

The UK government's whizzy new statistics dashboard for anyone who's interested: https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/

Comment

Bolsonaro has now tested positive

Comment

Yay!

Comment

Now up to 500,000 downloads of the Irish app within 18 hours, which equates to 10% of the population.

Comment

Fingers crossed he gets it as rough as possible because if he does not, he will use it as an excuse to do nowt...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                    Fingers crossed he gets it as rough as possible because if he does not, he will use it as an excuse to do nowt...
                    Johnson allegedly got it quite bad but he's become worse since recovering. Death is the only outcome here to change behaviour.

Comment

I still am surprised that Bolsonaro didn't have it earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Bolsonaro has now tested positive
                        wishing the coronavirus all the best during what must be a troubling time etc. etc.

Comment

One death in Ireland today, daily cases jump to 24.

Comment

1 more death in Ireland, 24 new cases is a bit more worrying.

Comment

UK death toll of 44,391 now exceeds the population of Bexhill-on-Sea in East Sussex, which freaks me out because a close friend of mine lives there and I've visited many times.

Comment

Chile has reported more than 300,000 cases.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1280684344026238979

Comment

Some time ago I posted about the company that shares a floor with mine, but I'm damned if I can find that post again.
                                    Anyway, the gist of it was that my co-workers who started going back to the office (well, lab really) were upset because the employees of the other company weren't wearing masks in the communal spaces (corridors, lunch room, restrooms).
                                    Some complaining occurred, and I believe (though I don't go in myself to see) that this company are now masking up in communal areas. However they don't wear masks when in their 2 offices, which here means large-ish rooms with a bunch of open desks (there are windows to the corridors, so you can see in as you pass by), and have never made any effort to work remotely. Yesterday one of them tested positive. I'm quite worried that they're now going to all come down with it, given the lack of precautions that they seem to be taking.

Comment

The original post is no. 4686 on this page

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...88#post2306403

Comment

Saw an article saying research in Spain suggests "herd immunity" is a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                          Saw an article saying research in Spain suggests "herd immunity" is a myth.
                                          https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53315983

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                            "herd immunity" is a myth.
                                            That's a pretty broad statement. Herd immunity is a real thing, though we don't yet know what level is needed to be effective for coronavirus. We clearly haven't achieved that level anywhere, so to the extent anyone was claiming that, it's a myth, though I don't think anyone serious was. The open question is whether at some point (before a vaccine presumably) we will reach the necessary level. Clearly that's not going to happen if, like Spain, you introduce effective measures to control the spread.

Comment

Africa has reached over 500,000 cases and over 12,000 deaths.

Comment

Tucker Carlson seems to have crossed the line that separates mere grifting (the Fox standard) to actually believing his own shit, which is the path to madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  Tucker Carlson seems to have crossed the line that separates mere grifting (the Fox standard) to actually believing his own shit, which is the path to madness.
                                                  I saw a headline that there's been talk of his running for president.

Comment

Catalunya making mask-wearing compulsory outdoors even when socially distancing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X