Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Anglia and Essex? Isn't Essex in East Anglia?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      East Anglia and Essex? Isn't Essex in East Anglia?
      No it's not normally included. The Angle/Saxon distinction is probably why it's not included.

Comment

As BLT says, they were separate kingdoms under The Heptarchy.

Comment

That's a really good deal for Yorkshire/Northumbria. First decent governance in a thousand years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

but a federal germany could only come about when prussia was abolished. the USSR and Russian Federation have been hamstrung by "Great Russian Chauvanism".

to the same degree i think that a federal UK can only come about through the abolition of England as a national project. I would cede East Anglia and Essex to Holland, Kent and Sussex to France and Lincolnshire and Yorkshire to Denmark. I'd restore the lands west of the Severn to Wales.

Middlesex could become the capital of rump England.
            Well as the name makes abundantly clear, Scotland is an ancient irish imperial venture. so we'll be having the scottish protectorate back. Wales cornwall and northumbria to be the only bits allowed to call themselves british

Comment

Belgium gets no respect. Gifts for everyone but them.

Comment

Prepare for the Pictish Secessionist movement in about 20 years or so Berba. Mibees Argyll will stay being Ireland over the water. Until Norway invades everyone and it all starts over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                  Belgium gets no respect. Gifts for everyone but them.
                  Caesar found a tribe of Belgae settled on the rainy island across the sea as well, that's surely claim enough to get a bit of Kent.

Comment

Just wait until Whitehall chooses to audit the Isle of Man - they'd be Irish in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

No it's not normally included. The Angle/Saxon distinction is probably why it's not included.
                      I can assure you that Colchester and Southend featured on Match of the Week with Gerry Harrison, which is clearly the true mark of what is and what isn't East Anglia

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                        Just wait until Whitehall chooses to audit the Isle of Man - they'd be Irish in no time.
                        Eh? The Isle of Man is not part of the UK. Although it is a crown dependency, it has its own government, laws, taxes etc. oh and no Covid.

Comment

Still under the jurisdiction of the Home Office, however, and laws could theoretically be extended to the Crown Dependencies.

Comment

This is excellent by Labour for Indy Wales:

https://twitter.com/Lab4IndyWales/status/1341059404792258561

Comment

That's a great thread DR.

This reiterates something I was talking about recently

https://twitter.com/JamesKelly/status/1341289172439617536?s=19

Comment

Still under the jurisdiction of the Home Office, however, and laws could theoretically be extended to the Crown Dependencies.
                                Diable, in theory yes, but I don’t believe in practice that this has ever been done.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  That's a great thread DR.

This reiterates something I was talking about recently

https://twitter.com/JamesKelly/status/1341289172439617536?s=19
                                  Brown was too busy trying to sign Marvin Andrews back from Rangers to bother his head with such trifles as the Constitution.

Comment

This is excellent by Labour for Indy Wales:

https://twitter.com/Lab4IndyWales/status/1341059404792258561
                                    Imagine if Keir Starmer could remember that Labour is in power in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Brown was too busy trying to sign Marvin Andrews back from Rangers to bother his head with such trifles as the Constitution.
                                      Marvin Andrews would probably do a better job at running the country than Boris and his cronies.

Comment

It really is self-defeating that most of his jibes at the Nats could be turned on the Cardiff Administration. I guess they still assume they'll be in power forever there and Wales can safely be ignored.

Comment

A great thread that DR.

Labour in power in Wales is doing OK, their hands are firmly tied by Westminster but despite that they've done OK.

They've got a choice to make, either follow the independence route or become as extinct and irrelevant as Labour in Scotland. The signs are positive that they've been learning a little, and this will help the independence movement grow stronger.

30% plus is rather large and not too be ignored.

Comment

I think I've voted Labour in every General and Senedd election since 1997, but unless they at least commit to a referendum then I'm not voting for them again.

Comment

Ooh, here's an idea, maybe if I want Labour to listen to me I should become more racist and bigoted. They seem to want to chase those votes. (At least in England they do)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                Ooh, here's an idea, maybe if I want Labour to listen to me I should become more racist and bigoted. They seem to want to chase those votes. (At least in England they do)
                                                don't encourage YesCymru...

Comment

Some Scots appear to be in a froth at the idea of prioritising Gaelic speakers for housing in "gasp" a Gaeltacht:

https://twitter.com/Janela_X/status/1343110018049200129

Comment

What a horrific bunch in the replies. And the thread starter. And the MoS obvs.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X