No announcement yet.

The Home Office Hostile Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't sure whether or where to put this, but I'll try here. I have a friend in Nepal who's contacted me asking what I know about 6-month seasonal work visas for the UK. I checked the government website - https://www.gov.uk/seasonal-worker-visa - to confirm what I thought I knew, but what I don't know is what's the gap between the official line and the reality.

Has anyone here any knowledge of anyone who's had to go through the process?

I want to tell him to avoid a nasty racist little country where he'll doubtless be exploited and probably racially abused, but as he works in the trekking industry, I'd guess he'll be fairly tight for money and won't have much choice.

Anyway, thanks if anyone can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
      She's the Head of the so called strictest school in England, the Michaela School in Wembley.

Links won't post I'm afraid
      "so called"?

She'd be all over that like a rash then
      It's "so-called"…

Comment

https://twitter.com/SKinnock/status/1515433149886615555?t=VJZO6Jf9e4fPFW4wozjmug&s=19

Comment

Has Rachel Johnson really called this scheme Hotel Rwanda?

Sheer ignorance at best.

Comment

Particularly given what ultimately happened to the main character in that film

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...elated-charges

Comment

The Rwanda policy might sound brutal to some but it's giving the refugees what they have asked for - a new life in a stable country where English is an official language. And the weather in Rwanda is far better than in the UK!

Comment

Please tell me you're doing a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                  The BBC had a news item about it last week and in it they interviewed a refugee from Yemen (or Sudan?) who had set up his own business running a cafe in Kigali (the capital of Rwanda) and he said he was having a great life there.

Comment

So, that sounds like no...not a bit.

You figure it's a desirable outcome to risk life and limb to take your family to the UK as a shortcut to actually getting where you wanted to be all along....Rwanda?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1963 View Post
                      The Rwanda policy might sound brutal to some but it's giving the refugees what they have asked for - a new life in a stable country where English is an official language. And the weather in Rwanda is far better than in the UK!
                      Extrajudicial executions
                      Disappearances
                      Torture

But the weather is nice. We'll that's OK then, I'm in, let's ship them off

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                        He's not, see his post on Israel

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                          So, that sounds like no...not a bit.

You figure it's a desirable outcome to risk life and limb to take your family to the UK as a shortcut to actually getting where you wanted to be all along....Rwanda?
                          Can you explain why these refugees don't want to claim asylum in the first safe EU country they arrive in? Yes, a few already have family in the UK but if that is the case, they can apply through the proper channels. Most of the refugees crossing the Channel are single young men who want to go to the UK because it's an English speaking country where they think they will get a job because they speak a bit of English.

Comment

Jesus. God bless the ignore function.
                            Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 19-04-2022, 14:30.

Comment

Can you explain why these refugees don't want to claim asylum in the first safe EU country they arrive in? Yes, a few already have family in the UK but if that is the case, they can apply through the proper channels. Most of the refugees crossing the Channel are single young men who want to go to the UK because it's an English speaking country where they think they will get a job because they speak a bit of English.
                              Wow. So much to unpack here.

First, obviously, the UK is no longer a member of the EU.

Second, there's absolutely no good reason why anyone should have to claim asylum in the first safe country. From a purely practical standpoint, that puts an unfair burden on that first country which...geographically speaking....will almost always be one of the few same countries.

Third, yes, indeed...that's a good reason why you'd come to the UK. You actually know someone who won't beat you up, throw you out and will maybe even feed you dinner.

Fourth, one doesn't flee a war / drought / tyranny ravaged country because they're tired of waiting on the 'proper channels', they do it because they're worried about dying.

Fifth, either show your stats on the 'single men' or explain why that is relevant.

Comment

What "proper channels"? Bag of old shite.

Comment

The majority of the world's refugees are already in 'the first country they arrive in', which invariably are poor and struggling. The countries with the most refugees living in them, according to this, are
                                  1. Turkey (3.7 million)
                                  2. Jordan (2.9 million)
                                  3. Lebanon (1.4 million)
                                  4. Pakistan (1.4 million)
                                  5. Uganda (1.1 million)
                                  6. Germany (1 million)
                                  7. Iran (979,400)
                                  8. Ethiopia (921.00)
                                  9. Sudan (908,700)
                                  10. Bangladesh (906,600)
                                  And, you know, even it were true that the majority of refugees were single men chancing their arm, good luck to them frankly. And poverty, from which most of them were fleeing, is a form of oppression too.

Comment

What, exactly, is the problem with accepting refugees? I’m genuinely interested.*

*I’m not in the least fucking interested.

Comment

And that list's ignoring Poland at present.

Comment

Tell me you know absolutely fuck all about the UK immigration system without telling me you know absolutely fuck all about the UK immigration system.

Comment

Is it really absurd that a refugee would want to live in a country where they feel they could work / contribute and also understand some of the language?

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                            The majority of the world's refugees are already in 'the first country they arrive in', which invariably are poor and struggling. The countries with the most refugees living in them, according to this, are
                                            1. Turkey (3.7 million)
                                            2. Jordan (2.9 million)
                                            3. Lebanon (1.4 million)
                                            4. Pakistan (1.4 million)
                                            5. Uganda (1.1 million)
                                            6. Germany (1 million)
                                            7. Iran (979,400)
                                            8. Ethiopia (921.00)
                                            9. Sudan (908,700)
                                            10. Bangladesh (906,600)
                                            And, you know, even it were true that the majority of refugees were single men chancing their arm, good luck to them frankly. And poverty, from which most of them were fleeing, is a form of oppression too.
                                            And none of these stats include the internally displaced people, those who are refugees in their home countries.

Comment

Patel has now said that deportation to Rwanda is for all adults, including single women.

They'll also be sending the children that look like adults too.

Comment

Theresa May has questioned the legality of the Rwanda policy.

When even Theresa May doesn't approve of your racist policy....

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Fourth, one doesn't flee a war / drought / tyranny ravaged country because they're tired of waiting on the 'proper channels', they do it because they're worried about dying.
                                                  True. I know my parents didn't stop to ask for approval before we high tailed it to the border during the attempted coup.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

Tell me you know absolutely fuck all about the UK immigration system without telling me you know absolutely fuck all about the UK immigration system.
                                                    I have flagged up your post for foul language. Please be respectful to others on this forum, as I always am with my own posts.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X