No announcement yet.

Ethiopian Airlines plane crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been reportedly two phones in working order.

Alaska doesn't fly transoceanic routes.

Comment

I think the plane was restricted from flying over open water (Alaska's routes from to Alaska from west coast cities often go over ocean) rather than trans-oceanic in the traditional sense.

Comment

Very sensible precaution to only fly over land, after all, it's easier to recover the body of a passenger that is sucked out of the plane when searching on land.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
          The question is if these bolts were badly designed, and slowly became loose after a number of flights, or if the bolts simply weren't torqued properly at the factory.
          The bolts have a hole drilled through them and are fitted with a castellated nut which is then locked in place by a split pin which is opened out and folded around the nut. That should be a secure arrangement and it's difficult to imagine how that can fail if properly installed.

Although these plug-in type doors cannot be opened in normal operation, it is apparently common practice to remove them during certain services. It is questionable whether a virtually brand new aeroplane such as the one in question would have needed such a service.

For anyone interested, I got the information from Juan Brown and Chris Brady.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
            Worth nothing that Boeing has moved some of its production from Washington to South Carolina for cheaper labour and to get around the strong Boeing worker unions at the Washington factories.
            Ah, the lovely long legacy of segregation, there.

Comment

No plans for first flight since 2019

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                There have been reportedly two phones in working order.

Alaska doesn't fly transoceanic routes.
                Alaska fly to Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post

Ah, the lovely long legacy of segregation, there.
                  But they had a black president!

Comment

https://www.businessinsider.com/spir...24-2?r=US&IR=T

In the latest manufacturing error to plague Boeing, a supplier of 737 Max aircraft components discovered misdrilled holes on the fuselages of 50 planes that were in production for the aircraft company, according to a new report from The Wall Street Journal.​

Comment

Jesus

Comment

Well, if Boeing noticed that the parts were faulty when they arrived at the factory, then that at least shows that quality control worked in this instance.

Comment

I'm not sure what documentation Boeing can't find here, but they really can't find it

I think there have been two occasions where bits have fallen off planes in the last week.

Comment

A tyre fell off a United 777 taking off in San Francisco - https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/08/u...ire/index.html

Comment

Self Inflicted...

Comment

This could also feature in the conspiracy theories thread

Comment

Ha, beat you...

Comment

If I die it wasn’t suicide

Comment

Boeing actually making hints at actions that might change the way they operate. CEO and Chairman out.

Comment

Not for another nine months though.

Comment

Well, wheelbarrows full of cash don’t fill themselves, you know. And there are plenty of documents that need to be mislaid.

Comment

This is a good piece about what has been going on at Boeing https://prospect.org/infrastructure/...ission-boeing/

Comment

It makes you want to never fly in a Boeing again.

Comment

I didn’t realize Culp was a name on the list for Boeing. He may not be an engineer but he is freaking ruthless. I would take that outcome pretty positively.

Comment

Working...
                                                X