No announcement yet.

Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exit polls say Netanyahu is back with a big Kahanist (explicitly fascist/ murderous) vote

https://twitter.com/ha_matar/status/1587536651651252228?s=21&t=yuMTkO6cSWL6NSMSzLzcYg

Comment

https://twitter.com/MJPlitnick/status/1587553686502391808?s=20&t=2Xr7GVdYGyKzacguVXobOg

Comment

https://twitter.com/NatashaRoth01/status/1587562076557479937?s=20&t=2Xr7GVdYGyKzacguVXobOg

Comment

Nef, do you have a theory as to why that is true?

Comment

I think there are a lot of highly politicised settlers kids especially Haredis, radicalised in Brooklyn, with the fantasy that at last they don't have to be nice guys anymore.

Hashem gave them the land and anyone standing in their way deserves all they get.
            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 01-11-2022, 22:36.

Comment

I was afraid that that was it.

Comment

more here. I'm just speculating

https://twitter.com/Ha_Matar/status/1587563725397102593?s=20&t=Rsn_ZC10Ob3HG68-lqXnRw

Comment

Comment

Bust up

https://twitter.com/lmharpin/status/1588218179914174466?s=20&t=5mBD8g9mEBaP4GdRvuYIlA

Comment

Was the Robbie Gibb-led "consortium" that bought it from the Trust a front?

Have they since sold it?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Was the Robbie Gibb-led "consortium" that bought it from the Trust a front?

Have they since sold it?
                        They were a front. Robbie Gibb and John Ware were two of the names-(neither of whom is jewish) but they aren't the owners.

Comment

https://twitter.com/euobs/status/1588243368077037568?s=20&t=hrZYX03GSkCBjQtK6r3fWw

Comment

Thanks, Nef.

That important fact seems to have eluded the FT.

Comment

they mentioned it at the time

The rival consortium is being fronted by former Downing Street head of communications Robbie Gibb, biographer William Shawcross, former Labour MP John Woodcock, Rabbi Jonathan Hughes of Radlett United Synagogue, and prominent broadcasters John Ware and Jonathan Sacerdoti. Also involved are Robert Swerling, corporate and institutional banking chief operating officer of Investec; Jonathan Kandel, a partner at Kirkland and Ellis; Tom Boltman, head of strategic initiatives at Kovrr; and Mark Joseph, the managing partner at EMK Capital.
                              as did the Press Gazette

I think the actual funders were not named

https://pressgazette.co.uk/jewish-chronicle-under-new-ownership-as-consortiums-very-generous-offer-accepted/
                              Last edited by Nefertiti2; 03-11-2022, 21:56.

Comment

Ah, I read that wrong at the time

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Mental ill health can exacerbate underlying unconscious racism but it doesn't excuse it.

During a psychotic episode, it's quite likely for a white person to come into contact with more black or ethnic minority people than they would in the normal course of their daily lives, because there is a higher proportion of BAME staff in the NHS than in other areas of public life, and there seems to be a particularly high proportion of BAME staff in mental health services.

Now, as a not at all consciously racist person while not psychotic, I still found this confusing. At one point, when in Watford general hospital on a drip because I'd been refusing to eat or drink, there were so many black staff that I thought I must have been transported to the middle of the ebola epidemic. I also remember a lovely black nurse sitting next to me and keeping me company, but in my hallucinatory state, her beautiful broad smile got transformed into a racist caricature. In the mother and baby unit, there was an extremely calm and gentle black male psychiatric nurse called Gabriel who was the only staff member who could talk me down. I thought he was the angel Gabriel.

Another bipolar friend of mine, who is not at all racist when well, lives in a tiny village with an almost entirely white population. Last time she got sectioned she was taken away to the hospital in a car by a group of black mental health staff who she'd never seen before and couldn't work out how they'd suddenly materialised in her village. She thought she was potentially being kidnapped. She was also treated by a kind black nurse called Patience and became obsessed with the fact that this was a message about her requiring more patience.

If you're more racist than me and my friend are in the first place, I hate to think what you'd end up like when psychotic.
                                  That's interesting,
                                  So is anyone able to define what unconscious racism is and how it differs from conscious racism?

If say someone said something that could be considered racist on OTF, is mental illness an excuse?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

That's interesting,
                                    So is anyone able to define what unconscious racism is and how it differs from conscious racism?

If say someone said something that could be considered racist on OTF, is mental illness an excuse?
                                    Oh, it's never an excuse. Kanye West has bipolar and he likely comes out with more antisemitic shit when in a manic state than he does at other times, but he's a racist arsehole even when he's not manic.

To be clear, I don't think I've ever been verbally racist to anyone while psychotic or insulted any of the BAME staff who were involved in my treatment or anything like that. If I had, I'd be mortified and would apologise the instant I came round from the psychosis.

It was interesting though the way my hallucinations must have tapped into underlying racist assumptions and stereotypes that I wasn't aware that I had.

Comment

Mental illness interacts with your underlying personality traits. If you tend towards being violent and aggressive while mentally well, there's a strong possibility that you'll become dangerously violent and aggressive when mentally unwell.

If you're a more gentle, peaceful person while well, then that's less of a risk, but it's still a risk. When in psychosis I know that I tried to push my husband down the stairs and my sister claims that I tried to strangle her, but that's the only part of my psychosis where I blacked out completely so I can't corroborate her claim and there was no-one else in the room with us at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                        Mental illness interacts with your underlying personality traits. If you tend towards being violent and aggressive while mentally well, there's a strong possibility that you'll become dangerously violent and aggressive when mentally unwell.

If you're a more gentle, peaceful person while well, then that's less of a risk, but it's still a risk. When in psychosis I know that I tried to push my husband down the stairs and my sister claims that I tried to strangle her, but that's the only part of my psychosis where I blacked out completely so I can't corroborate her claim and there was no-one else in the room with us at the time.
                                        Ok, I understand, so say for arguments sake you were posting logically or cogently on OTF and said something like, "Young black and Hispanic men gravitate to Trump because they dig his divorced Dad energy". Can you blame that on depression ?

I assume your PM's will be blowing up imploring you not to answer

Comment

Ok, I understand, so say for arguments sake you were posting logically or cogently on OTF and said something like, "Young black and Hispanic men gravitate to Trump because they dig his divorced Dad energy". Can you blame that on depression ?

I assume your PM's will be blowing up imploring you not to answer
                                          Has someone actually said that or are we in the realms of purely hypothetical here?

I don't think you can ever "blame" unsavoury views on mental illness, but different mental illnesses can alter your perception in many different ways.

When I'm depressed or anxious, for example, I don't suddenly become racist, but I do become very bleak about how I perceive the direction that the world is going in. I only absorb negative news and feel like everything is deteriorating, and that the future will be dreadful. I focus on catastrophic climate change, the rise of fascism, the possibility of nuclear war, and mass extinction events. When I'm well, these threats still exist but I can have a more balanced view and acknowledge that there are lots of good people out there trying to do things to mitigate and fight against the risks, and that it's possible they might win in the long run. I can acknowledge things about the present and about the possible future that are better than the past, like reduced child mortality, improved cancer survival rates, the development of loads of renewable energy technology, the mere existence of democracy, no matter how flawed it may be in practice. When I'm really depressed, it's like all these good things have completely ceased to exist.

Comment

I had an interesting conversation with my daughter the other day where I talked to her about the fact that she might have some traits that are associated with ADHD (she struggles to focus on any one task, is always jumping from idea to idea, writes incredibly quickly yet sloppily to the extent that it's impossible to read what she's written, is extremely disorganised with her belongings, etc).

She leapt on this to say "ooh, does this mean that I have an excuse for doing things like that?"

I said no. The purpose of having an accurate diagnosis is so that you can understand yourself better and why you might respond to certain situations differently than others, why things that seem easy to others might seem hard to you, to have self-empathy for the challenges you're faced with, but then to learn tools and techniques which allow you to work with the hand you've been dealt to become the best possible version of yourself.

I have bipolar disorder. There is absolutely nothing I can do to change that. It is a medical fact. But that doesn't mean I just throw the towel in and say "ah well, I'll just swing wildly between mania and depression for the rest of my life without caring about how that makes things harder for me and the people around me". What it means is that I go, ok, what can I do to help me manage my condition better? What do I need to do to stay well? And then try my utmost to do those things.

Obviously, I am not always successful. I push myself too hard sometimes and then relapse like I did last October to February. But each time I have an episode, I work damn hard to get back up, and then when it has passed I can look back and analyse what caused it and what I need to do to try and reduce the likelihood of it happening again in future.
                                            Last edited by Balderdasha; 04-11-2022, 14:33.

Comment

Incredibly important messages there.

Comment

Thank you for your response Balderdasha very informative. I have some more questions but I might direct them to you on the appropriate thread.

Comment

Thank you for your response Balderdasha very informative. I have some more questions but I might direct them to you on the appropriate thread.
                                                  I'm not sure if I have any interest getting involved in other people's disagreements, but thanks for thinking of me.

Comment

https://twitter.com/FranceskAlbs/status/1588894052094996481?s=20&t=7ol9hi3GSb0Uok7IQPdq3w

Comment

Working...
                                                    X