Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The falcons' diet is very pigeon-centric

Comment

I'm surprised councils don't breed them for that purpose.

Comment

I think some do, but may be misremembering.

The one in the photo ursus shared almost looks like part of the building ornament, gargoyle style.

Comment

See, e.g., the eagle on Benfica's crest

This photographer was able to get one descending from its perch

https://twitter.com/carenjahre/status/1534654937866592257?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow]

Comment

A Little Egret at Shoeburyness yesterday. It's not a great picture because it's a long way off and I only have a small point-and-shoot. I don't think I've ever seen a Little Egret before. They were quite rare in the UK until fairly recently.

Comment

There's a huge amount of small bird activity just out the back at the moment. Dunnocks, robins and tits everywhere. They're pecking at the leylandii, having dust baths underneath it, scrapping - it's all quite wonderful, if slightly dizzying. Some are even hovering in front of the French window, which I don't recall ever seeing before.

Comment

Loud shenanigans here too this morning with the ravens moaning away at the shrieking cockatoos. Can’t say I’ve noticed argy bargy between these in the past. In fact there was such a hubbub it made me wonder if there was a big raptor around and they were all shouting about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                  A Little Egret at Shoeburyness yesterday. It's not a great picture because it's a long way off and I only have a small point-and-shoot. I don't think I've ever seen a Little Egret before. They were quite rare in the UK until fairly recently.

We are fortunate to have a pair in our local park which we see most weeks. We don't ever see them together, but I know there are two of them because I've occasionally seen them both simultaneously at opposite ends of the river. I don't know if they're a pair that have a hidden nest somewhere or if they're just two neighbours who prefer to keep their distance.

Comment

A flock of Shag on the island of Mingulay.

Comment

[insert crass shag jokes here]

Anyway, lately I have been waking up too early, between 4am and 430am. Sunsrise isn't until around 6:30 and I have been reminded of the (Australian) Magie's pre-dawn song. This is a melodic phrase, repeated at intervals of around two seconds, literally for hours approaching dawn. It begins extremely softly and very gradually rises in volume so that by dawn the bird is pretty much singing normally. There must be thousands of repetitions each day and yet (to me at least) it's pleasurable, soft and makes the pre-dawn feel less lonely. I also love the way these birds sing anyway; it's totally unique.

More on the pre-dawn singing here: https://absa.asn.au/corella_document...bicen-tibicen/

Comment

I had a nice ramble out and back along the coast path between St Anne’s Head, Dale and Marloes Sands on Sunday, and was fascinated by a fair number of peregrine falcons hovering and riding the breeze over the cliffs looking for prey, before diving down to the ground. Firstly thought it was kestrels (because of the hovering), but a few were close enough to make out the black caps and greyish hue. Sadly my ‘vintage’ phone camera wasn’t up to taking a decent pic.

Comment

It’s great to know that Peregrines have staged a recovery in the UK as I believe they were extremely rare not so long ago.

Comment

There’s a peregrine nest up Salisbury Cathedral, and we got excellent views of one flying around while we were up there this afternoon. They have closed off the side of the tower where the nest is.

Comment

Corncrakes are making a slow, but sustained, recovery in Ireland.

Comment

I this little thing flitting around earlier. It's a young goldfinch with its markings not fully-developed yet.

Comment

Not a great photo but I saw this fly across my friend's garden and land in the tree next door. I think it was a heron. Looked magnificent in real life.

Comment

And we fed the ducks again this week. There are always loads of Canada geese and then this one single pink-footed goose. It's there every year. I don't know why it hangs out with the Canada geese instead of its own species.

Comment

I'm using Merlin a bit more sparingly these days, partly because the novelty has worn off and partly because I want to get a better idea of seasonal changes to the birdlife in the back garden, but I stuck my mobile on the patio for a few minutes yesterday afternoon and bagged a couple of new species, viz. a common swift and another rare one, a spotted flycatcher.

That's 28 species now.
                                      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 22-08-2023, 12:25.

Comment

Just nabbed a blackcap, so that's 29.

Comment

Ooh. Good spot with the Spotted Flycatcher.

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post
                                            Ooh. Good spot with the Spotted Flycatcher.

Yes, it was nice to be able to add it to the list, but the birds are often buried so deep in the foliage so I can't actually see them most of the time. Lovely to hear them, though.

Comment

I have started using it in the evening as I get different birds then. This weekend I got a little owl and a Syrian woodpecker.

Comment

Birds heard by Merlin in my back garden since mid-June, multiple times and visually identified (well, I saw a bird that looks like the online picture) except where noted:

Black Phoebe
                                                American Crow
                                                California Towhee
                                                Anna's Hummingbird
                                                Chestnut-backed Chickadee
                                                Bewick's Wren - hear this a lot, and it's really loud, but I've never convincingly seen one (maybe in the distance, but it could have been anything)
                                                House Finch
                                                Nuttall's Woodpecker - sadly I've not seen this guy, though heard it several times
                                                Orange-crowned Warbler - only once
                                                Dark-eyed Junco
                                                House Sparrow
                                                Lesser Goldfinch
                                                Red-winged Blackbird
                                                Wilson's Warbler - only once, not seen
                                                California Scrub-Jay
                                                Bushtit
                                                Mallard
                                                Oak Titmouse
                                                Mourning Dove
                                                Hooded Oriole - only once, not seen
                                                Western Bluebird - only once, not seen
                                                Green-winged Teal - only once, not seen
                                                Cooper's Hawk - only once. I have seen a hawk several times, and assumed that it was a red-tailed one as they're the most common round here, but maybe it was this guy. It doesn't stick around to be examined once it realizes you're there.
                                                Caspian Tern - only once
                                                Wild Turkey - only once, and not seen though you'd think that I'd have noticed if an effing turkey was in my garden.
                                                Snowy Egret - only once, though seen several times
                                                Warbling Vireo - only once, not seen

Otherwise I've also seen night herons flying past, and coots in the creek (ditch) behind (actually, the coots probably weren't in the same timeframe, but they're not uncommon back there).

I'm a bit disappointed with not seeing many of the birds that Merlin heard once, as they appear to be quite bright in colour.

Comment

...and here's the list of what Merlin heard around my parents' house in early August (mostly along the path a couple of fields away).

Common Wood-Pigeon
                                                  Eurasian Magpie
                                                  House Sparrow
                                                  Goldcrest
                                                  Common Chaffinch
                                                  Common Chiffchaff
                                                  Spotted Flycatcher
                                                  European Robin
                                                  Dunnock
                                                  Eastern Jackdaw
                                                  European Greenfinch
                                                  Common Buzzard
                                                  European Goldfinch
                                                  Eurasian Blackbird
                                                  Eurasian Linnet
                                                  Willow Warbler
                                                  Great Tit
                                                  Eurasin Sparrowhawk
                                                  Eurasian Wren
                                                  Eurasian Bullfinch
                                                  Rook
                                                  European Pied Flycatcher
                                                  House Sparrow

Comment

I keep hearing spotted flycatchers wherever I go but I've yet to actually see one. I'll compile a list of those I've seen or heard at the end of the year but in the meantime here's a couple from Scotland.

An osprey on an island in Loch Lomand

A hoodie on Loch Long

Comment

Working...
                                                    X