• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotted on a neighborhood bird table.

Comment

“They’ll never see me here”

Comment

As I was driving down a country lane in Norfolk yesterday I nearly hit a large turkey wandering along the road. Bootiful bird.

Comment

This old bird just walked up to my office window. The two lumps behind her to the left are two of the eight or so chicks that she created this year that occasionally come walking through my garden.

Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 27-07-2021, 22:15.

Comment

Couldn’t get a clear picture of this Swallow as it was pissing down

Comment

Clearly it didn’t make a summer.

Comment

We were on a hike today and, approaching a lake, disturbed a [correct collective noun here] of herons. Never seen so many of them in one place and a real shame that they saw us before we saw them

All of them flying around

Then they started sitting in trees with the two you can see on the tops of the two trees to the right, seemingly given the task of watching for when we finally buggered off and allowed them back to the water

Comment

A siege of herons, apparently

Comment

A Red Kite over Harrogate earlier:

Comment

From the fluffiness, I think this is a young jay. Seems to spend a lot of time in my yard, so maybe the offspring of the pair that were/are nesting in my hedge.

Comment

No pictures but I saw some Lapwings at the weekend, near Hammerton from the train between Harrogate and York. It's not that long (or seems that way - it's probably 20-30 years) since you'd see hundreds of them regularly but they have been in decline and are on the UK Red List. These were the first I'd seen in ages.

Comment

You know those flights that run into difficulty and the pilot has to turn around and go back? Well, they've got nothing on the godwit ...

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...to-turn-around

Sets out to fly from Alaska to New Zealand. After 33 hours runs into turbulence. Decides to return to base. Touches down after 57 hours in the air.

It's amazing that this happens, and even more amazing that we know about it. Now all we need is a brain implant to track the decision-making process ("Hmmm, this is a right old buffeting, I'll give it another half hour ... no, abort, abort!").

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                            No pictures but I saw some Lapwings at the weekend, near Hammerton from the train between Harrogate and York. It's not that long (or seems that way - it's probably 20-30 years) since you'd see hundreds of them regularly but they have been in decline and are on the UK Red List. These were the first I'd seen in ages.
                            We get the odd one (or more usually a pair) on the fields out the back of our house, but I saw a small flock of 30 or so flying beside the M6 just outside Penrith on Saturday and thought then that I'd not seen so many in a group for some time.

Comment

I saw a large group a few days ago too (probably somewhere on my way to Chorley) and remarked to myself that I hadn't seen such numbers for a long time. Hopefully it's an encouraging sign but I'd be more inclined to think this is the time of year for large gatherings for whatever reason that might be.

Comment

That’s a shame, lapwings (or peewits as my grandad used to call them) were a common sight in many open areas when I was young.

It will surprise nobody to hear that their Australian equivalent, the masked lapwing, sometimes dive bombs people and has sharp spurs on its wings.

Comment

Peeweeps in Elgin.

We still get decent sized groups, sometimes hundreds, on Northumberland coast

Comment

I’m tempted by the kookaburra, frogmouth and brush turkey but I think the Aussie magpie gets my vote:

Comment

A Cheeky young starling checking me out yesterday

Comment

Really good sized flock of lapwings on the freshly ploughed fields near my village today - probably 150-200.

Comment

Comment

That's an Australian Raven.

Comment

Snow Geese heading south

Comment

They got the urge for going.

Comment

He's a real predator in the penalty area (football pitch on the Annan flood plain)

Comment

Is there a raptor living in King's Cross station?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X