Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does Japan get to be "Avoid some areas" and not the U.S.? Pretty sure we've got some radioactive bits too.

Comment

You've got Love Canal, too, but it's all fenced off.

Comment

alyxandr wrote: Why does Japan get to be "Avoid some areas" and not the U.S.? Pretty sure we've got some radioactive bits too.
        Someone commenting along those lines on Twitter was what brought this one to my attention, yeah. Japan is coloured yellow on the map because of Fukushima, but the idea that the country as a whole is therefore more dangerous to visit than the US or the UK seems odd.

Comment

If you're a visitor from the West there's a fair chance they'll mistake you for a whale and harpoon you?

Comment

Good one, Rogin!

Comment

More dangerous than the US or UK is one thing (although a bit odd). But more dangerous than Western Sahara and Equatorial Guinea is definitely something I'd question.

Comment

Painstaking, fascinating digitisation of Gian Domenico Cassini's 17th century map of France, here

Comment

Furtho wrote: Painstaking, fascinating digitisation of Gian Domenico Cassini's 17th century map of France, here
                  that's mint

Comment

Has this been posted yet?.

An online exhibition to commemorate the bicentenary of the birth of John Snow the pioneer of disease mapping and public health.

Comment

Furtho wrote: Painstaking, fascinating digitisation of Gian Domenico Cassini's 17th century map of France, here
                      That's staggering. I just zeroed down to a tiny village near Bergerac which was our last holiday before we migrated, in only about 3 minutes. How long must it have taken him?

Comment

I can't find the link via which I came across that version of the map now, but I'm pretty sure the article said it took about sixty years and that the work was spread across four generations of Cassini's family.

Comment

17th century. Fucking hell. Easily one of the most impressive things I've seen in a while.

Comment

This page helps put the work in context.

As noted, there were multiple generations of Cassinis, and that particular map is mid 18th century.

Comment

Someone's put together a live map of train movements on the London underground ("live departure data is fetched from the TfL API, and then [the tech system underpinning the map] does a bit of maths and magic. A small number of stations are misplaced or missing; occasional trains behave oddly; some H&C and Circle stations are missing in the TfL feed"). It's here, and it's oddly relaxing.

Comment

That is awesome, even if, as you say, a few trains behave oddly, e.g. the one I just saw making its way down the side of Parliament Hill, roughly half way between the two branches of the Northern Line.

Comment

May I point out that aside from the art thread, this might be the best thread ever?

(Although it needs more city underground maps... )

Comment

And Furtho: I have that on Windows 8, and it makes me feel so relaxed...

Comment

On a simliar-ish note, one Takatsugu Kuriyama has taken it upon himself to make a 3D model of the Tokyo underground. Here's the model:

Here's the regular map:

More here.

Comment

An ethnic map of Europe.

Comment

Interesting. There's a sort-of interactive version of roughly the same map elsewhere on the same site, here.

Comment

A bit old but I really like this version of the London map.

Comment

Furtho wrote:

A small number of stations are misplaced or missing; occasional trains behave oddly
                                              A true-to-life representation of the real underground then?

Comment

Furtho: isn't that a bit ... well.. art? (I love it. I really do. It is a thing of beauty... how much? and where can I buy a house to put it in?)

And 10/7 (sorry couldnt find the thing for your name.): that is awesome. And I haven't clicked on it yet. The possibilities are phenomenal. (Have you all done the upside down tube map?)

Comment

That European ethnic groups map - isn't it missing Republika Srpska?

Comment

In fairness, it doesn't show federal subdivisions for any country, just linguistic boundaries, and all Serbian territory would be contiguous.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X