Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who likes looking at maps?

It's fascinating.

Shenandoah would be a swing state. Mendocino and Tule state politics would be a dogfight between coastal and inland interests. I'd be very interested to understand how they shrunk New York (does "Throgs Neck" include all of Queens, or just part of it).

What do we think would be the most conservative state on the map? Salt Lake? Trinity? Columbia?

Comment

Yes, it's a thing of beauty and fascination indeed. Just one minor quibble from me, which is where, in the section on where all the proposed names come from, he divides that into categories, and gives two examples named for "people". King fair enough, fine idea, but "Orange"???? It seems to me that he's really inspired by the fact that the most important place in that area is the current Orange County, CA and has named it after that. Now, that means it's kind of named after our King William of Orange at 3 removes, since OC, CA is (per Wiki at least) likely to have been named after OC, VA, which in turn was named after W of O. But that's really an origin which sane people ought to suppress, given that W of O is known today primarily as a poster boy for sectarianism and Protestant supremacism. {Edit: and also, naming stuff deliberately for British monarchs today would kind of let slip that you all secretly realise what a terrible mistake you made in 1776.]

Comment

The conservatism in those three states would be pretty different, I think, Ursus. The Salt Lake conservatives wouldn't really have a lot in common with the Columbia ones, really. There's a chance, with the slow flow of people from the unaffordable west coast to the wide frontier expanses of the interior, that Salt Lake might vote for a Democratic president in my lifetime. There's not a chance, I think, that Columbia will.

Anyway, as a resident of the new state of Orange, I too object to the name. Everyone else has decent names. If we're not allowed "Surf" or "San Diego", I'd propose Palomar or Borrego. Or, if we need the name of a person, Anza.

Comment

I'm currently happy in the heart of Shiprock. Previously we lived in far nw Ranier, before that, a few years in Muskogee.

Big Thicket, Throgs Neck, Atchafalaya and Firelands are top contenders for coolest names.

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote: I'm currently happy in the heart of Shiprock. Previously we lived in far nw Ranier, before that, a few years in Muskogee.

Big Thicket, Throgs Neck, Atchafalaya
            Gesundheit.

Comment

That's in Allegheny right?

Comment

Picked up Earth Condensed in a charity shop for a bargain €3 - the cartographic detail is excellent, not to mention the various statistical articles on communications, rainfall, etc.

Comment

I like that electoral college re-map but it would play havoc with the state-based musical standards:

It never rains in (southern) Orange

And the lights all went down in Adirondack

Comment

In the Blue Ridge Mountains of Blue Ridge...

Take me back to the Black Hills,
                    The Black Hills of Ogallala.

Oh, the Yellow Rose of Big Thicket...

Maumee wants me,
                    Lord, I can't go back there.

Comment

I drove over the Throgs Neck bridge once just so I could have traveled on it. Though given where I live now, I probably will use it now and then as the most convenient option to get to places. As a result I wasted 30 minutes of my life.

Comment

Traffic is often better on the Whitestone, so it may not have been a waste after all.

Comment

I wish they all could be Mendocino (, Yerba Buena, Tule, Temecula, Orange or LA)

I wish they all could be Mendocino (, Yerba Buena, Tule, Temecula, Orange or LA)

Girls.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: I drove over the Throgs Neck bridge once just so I could have traveled on it. Though given where I live now, I probably will use it now and then as the most convenient option to get to places. As a result I wasted 30 minutes of my life.
                            There's a bridge in southern Sydney called Tom Ugly's Bridge. So, the next step is a re-drawing of the Aussie state boundaries...

Comment

I can't be alone from having learned a fair proportion of my domestic geographical knowledge from the Football History Map of England & Wales. Article about this veritable paper internet of a publication, here.

Comment

Thanks Furtho. That's led me to find this fabulous stand.

Comment

Blimey! What a structure.

London sitcoms over the years, plotted on Google Maps, here.

Comment

"Chinati" for West Texas on the map Cal linked to is brilliant, but "Big Thicket" is not. Lubbock is out on an arid high plains plateau—he nearest big thicket is probably five hundred miles away. Travis, or maybe Quanah (after Comanche Chief Quanah Parker), would be better.

Comment

Fascinating interactive map showing average commute times by zip code.

Comment

Nice. I'm about average for my ZIP Code.

Comment

Has anyone got a link to the upside down tube map? (This thread is way too big, and possibly boring, for me to delve into so, with bended elbow, I plead).

Comment

Here.

GO: Using the search facility so gero doesn't have to...

Comment

Baltimore, accurate and unofficial

Comment

"An egg map of the United States, showing at a glance relative egg production of each state, ca. 1931. Each state is represented by imitation eggs of different sizes... Iowa is dignified by the largest egg of all." Map here.

Comment

Likely to send some OTFers' tweeometers lurching into the red, this purports to be a map identifying the best tea shops in London.

Comment

Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs have made a world map of travel recommendations and warnings, here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X