Forum Politics and the Defence of MsD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, that's an interesting attitude: a thread can only be about what the person who started it thinks it should be about.

Even if you'd never actually read a single OTF thread that had been hi-jacked or gone on a tangent, I would have thought you were sufficiently po-mo to realise that this is a dubious proposition.

Or were you just trying to take a cheap shot?

Comment

I'm not actually in favour of keeping this thread on the original topic. And not against going off on tangents. But what happened on the other thread was not its going off topic, or the introduction of levity (often welcome), it started with an aggressive, unwarranted challenge on me by Toro (as several posters have agreed).

I can let it go, I don't mind losing an argument if I'm wrong, but my statements were (deliberately) aggressively misrepresented and misinterpreted over and over again, with it seems, no other motive than to try to discredit me and to "win". It didn't seem to be aimed at achieving any greater understanding.

And, the ground kept shifting on the question of equivalence. I queried the exact, specific point but just got a vague "it's not about that" in response, which is odd when someone is supposed to be big on rigour and precision.

Comment

So it wasn't a cheap shot? 'cos once you take away the possibility that you think threads must remain on topic, there's not much left to explain it.

Comment

Plectrum"? It's a pick.
          It's a plectrum.

MsD, ask Marco if he knows Mike Macnamara and where he knows him from. That will explain it.

Comment

OK ... what town? Camden, Harrow?

Comment

No, whether he knows him from school. I have an idea though that Mike knew Adam, well, Stuart, I suppose in school and then got to know Marco in the Ants. He certainly knew Marco's parents and the caff they ran.

Actually, don't bother, it will be one of those "Someone off the internet knows someone who sort of knows you" conversations

Comment

Too late! He's thinking about it, can't immediately remember.

I meant school in Camden, or school in Harrow.

Parents still both going strong, tell him.

Comment

There's a message here now for someone whose name begins with P.

Comment

He must have been in school with Adam as Mike has always lived in West Hampstead/Kilburn. I know that he said Adam's mum got in touch with him when he bacame ill to go and visit him

Comment

he thinks he rings a bell

Comment

Nah, that was Quasimoh forget it.

Comment

A note about the feud/ongoing hate campaign.

It's partly from the history with this individual (and WOM was partly right) and a couple of others, and their own personal problems which I'm not going into.

But more generally .. .these men will never, ever get over the fact that I saw the Pistols in 76/77 and they didn't. They might say, you might say, that's ridiculous, but they keep harping on it, and one of them introduced me to his friend with "This is Ms Dayglo ... she saw the Pistols in 76 and she met Sid!" Upon which the friend made the "I'm not worthy" gesture. FFS.

There are a whole load of middle-aged men who cannot get over the fact that they missed the boat on punk. Having discovered the music at a impressionable age, they regard it as "their" music. They are also mightily disappointed that the punk movement was started by people who were, gasp, fashionable. The Sex Pistols, Siouxsie etc. were into fashion. They were also music fans but not anoraks.

These inverted snobs cannot bear that music, their music, is listened to, in fact created by, such frivolous types, who, in their imagination, go around airkissing and quaffing champagne in fancy clubs (er, well OK, that bit's quite accurate). I've had many of these honest salt of the earth types try to undermine my knowledge of, and passion for, a wide range of music but they can't do it. The reason I've always dated musicians is not because I'm, as someone charmingly put it, a "starfucker", it's because that's the thing I'm most passionate about - and they're the people I've clicked with.

About parties ... here's a pic of me at 16 ... [maybe not, but I looked fab].

and on the MySpace page, that's me a couple of months ago.

Who do you think more likely to be invited to parties down the year, me, or some grumpy anorak fanboy wanting to talk to musicians about their b-sides and moaning that the beer's too expensive?

Comment

They make you pay for your own booze? That's not a "party", that's a "bar".

Comment

Yes, but I mean they don't invited from the bar to the afterparty.

Btw, I don't dismiss the sort of later, "street" punk etc., it just wasn't particularly my thing. There are loads of "second wavers", or 80/90s punks, and teenage baby punks on TalkPunk who don't have chips stacked on both shoulders and their enthusiasm for music is great.

It's been my personal experience that the snobbery goes all the other way. I mean, I don't sneer at people or actually think I'm better than them just because I hung around with certain people and went to the clubs etc. It's just that that's my particular history. As I say to people who moan that it's London-centric, well, give us the other perspective.

Comment

So, this being sick of talking about yourself thing lasted all of...what? twelve hours?

Comment

This thread is even more boring than the pistols.

Comment

Just explaining a bit of the reasoning behind it.

But it's not really about me anyway, it's about other people and their hangups, projected onto me.

Comment

I'd be very happy never to discuss either the Pistols or the feud with ex members of TalkPunk ever again. It's been a year this month since they left and/or were banned (in many cases, flounced, but kept coming back to make digs like that in the OP). TP has flourished, against their predictions, and we have a new moderator so I do very little, really.

I'd like less attention, not more. One of these wankers pestered me (texting "I love you" at 2am)for nearly two years until I had to be brutal.

AG, if you're not interested, try avoiding my posts or any threads with MsD in the title, it's quite easy, and I won't be around for a couple of days. Why do people enter threads just to declare how boring it all is?

Comment

Perhaps as a gentle public service to those who've not realized how painfully 'me me me' and navel gazy they've gotten. A kindness. Like when a stranger mentions you've got a tag sticking up from your shirt.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                                          Perhaps as a gentle public service to those who've not realized how painfully 'me me me' and navel gazy they've gotten. A kindness. Like when a stranger mentions you've got a tag sticking up from your shirt.
                                          That pretty much was what I was going for acutally.

My mate was in the post office the other day, and a good looking young woman had one nipple revealed by her low cut top. He was instantly struck with a dilemma: Did he warn the accidental nipple revealer, and thereby embarrass her in the queue at costcutters, and reveal that he'd been looking at her nipple? Or did he just leave it, and hope she'd notice on her own?

In the end, time ran away from him, and to tell her would basically have been to admitt that he'd known about it for several minutes but hadn't said anything. WOM, what would you do?

Comment

I'm actually quite good (and forward) at that sort of thing. The easiest way to do it is to clear your throat in that 'may I have your attention' manner and then tug upward on your own shirt while quickly flicking an eye down to convey that you are actually adjusting hers.

Similarly, when you're sitting across the streetcar from a 14 year old girl wearing her first short skirt, you (again) clear your throat purposefully, and demonstrate a leg crossing, whereupon she quickly follows suit so as not to continue broadcasting the colour of her underwear to all concerned. Then, you go back to your paper or book so as not to prolong the embarrassment on her part.

Comment

You mean the judge bought that?

Comment

I wasn't suggesting your posts were boring, MsD. The sky-high levels of self-obsession hold a train-wreck sort of fascination, actually.

What I was suggesting was that you were being inconsistent or possibly even disingenuous in loudly proclaiming last night that you were *so* sick of all this talk about you. Because this morning at 10:55 - with ABSOLUTELY NO EXTERNAL PROMPTING WHATSOEVER - you had no difficulty going on about yourself and whatever you were doing in '76/'77 and how jealous people are of you and how this has done terrible things to your life because of feuds.

If it came up in casual conversation - you know, like if someone mentioned Vivienne Westwood or something - I could sort of understand it. But no, this came out of the blue with no one asking. Just "hey chaps, let's restart this discussion about how people hate me because of my brilliant past"

Quite something, really.

Comment

Let's just say that '500 meters from any park, school or other place where children may congregate' is a lot farther than it might seem.

[to WE]

Comment

WOM - see, that shit is why I come on here. It's like an etiquette manual for ale drinking neo-victorian philanthropic gentlemen, or summat.

I salute you, sir.

Edit: apparently by summat I mean pederasts. ah well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X