• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return of the night shift

I hear you.

Comment

La Racaille de Rochdale Road wrote: The worst thing about not being able to sleep is the ghosts that end up trying to keep you company. Every bad decision, every wrong turn, every shit choice sits next too you, prodding you in the chest. A constant and brash reminder of your imperfections, idiocy and fallibilities. And my ghosts are so large that not even crossing the streams can get rid of the fuckers.

I can't really remember the last time I was happy. I play on this for comedic purposes. My mates call me Empty Chris because I turn this negativity into laughs. There's no such thing as happiness. There's no such thing as love. We're being forced by society to chase unattainable goals because that's what's expected of us. Except when I deadpan this to my mates I'm more than half-serious.

Life is week after month after year of mundanity punctuated by fleeting moments of contentedness. And it's these moments of relative happiness that keeps you going. Surely if you're forever happy, it loses all meaning? I dunno. I just know that occasionally I get waves of happiness, and that's what keeps me going. It's like football. Football is framed by misery, and it's the occasional Rochdale away in the cup that keeps you going. And you can't trust anyone who lives their life like every day is a last minute winner on bonfire night. It's not realistic.

This is self-indulgent shite, and I apologise, but only to those reading it, which I guess isn't many. It's three years since I started falling with no one to catch me. Two years since I became dependent on chemical stimulants, and about a year and a half since that caused me to lose my job and home. And about half an hour since I listened to the fucking Kooks.

I threw away years of graft, and I've been struggling to get back on my feet ever since. I'm working a shit job I hate for fuck all money because it's all I can get. But I'm in a city I love, surrounded by mates who care for me, which goes some way to making me feel better. And things will get better, because let's be fucking honest, they can't not.

Ah well. Serves me right for digging up this thread. I should have gone with WOM's mundane thread. I fucking buzz off the mundane these days. Embrace the mundane. It makes a pleasant fucking change.

I'll regret pressing submit on this come morning...
      I thought this before I saw this post anyway, but I'd quite like to go for a pint with you.

Comment

La Racaille de Rochdale Road wrote: The worst thing about not being able to sleep is the ghosts that end up trying to keep you company. Every bad decision, every wrong turn, every shit choice sits next too you, prodding you in the chest. A constant and brash reminder of your imperfections, idiocy and fallibilities. And my ghosts are so large that not even crossing the streams can get rid of the fuckers.

I can't really remember the last time I was happy. I play on this for comedic purposes. My mates call me Empty Chris because I turn this negativity into laughs. There's no such thing as happiness. There's no such thing as love. We're being forced by society to chase unattainable goals because that's what's expected of us. Except when I deadpan this to my mates I'm more than half-serious.

Life is week after month after year of mundanity punctuated by fleeting moments of contentedness. And it's these moments of relative happiness that keeps you going. Surely if you're forever happy, it loses all meaning? I dunno. I just know that occasionally I get waves of happiness, and that's what keeps me going. It's like football. Football is framed by misery, and it's the occasional Rochdale away in the cup that keeps you going. And you can't trust anyone who lives their life like every day is a last minute winner on bonfire night. It's not realistic.

This is self-indulgent shite, and I apologise, but only to those reading it, which I guess isn't many. It's three years since I started falling with no one to catch me. Two years since I became dependent on chemical stimulants, and about a year and a half since that caused me to lose my job and home. And about half an hour since I listened to the fucking Kooks.

I threw away years of graft, and I've been struggling to get back on my feet ever since. I'm working a shit job I hate for fuck all money because it's all I can get. But I'm in a city I love, surrounded by mates who care for me, which goes some way to making me feel better. And things will get better, because let's be fucking honest, they can't not.

Ah well. Serves me right for digging up this thread. I should have gone with WOM's mundane thread. I fucking buzz off the mundane these days. Embrace the mundane. It makes a pleasant fucking change.

I'll regret pressing submit on this come morning...
        "In my opinion one must at least begin by having some respect for the mediocre, and know that it already means something, and is only reached with great difficulty." — Vincent van Gogh

OK, I know van Gogh isn't exactly the type of guy you might want to emulate lifestylewise. I also realise mundanity isn't quite synonymous with mediocrity (or the same thing at all really) but supposing it was? Then the quote would be kind of empowering wouldn't it?

Comment

EIM you nailed it with that paragraph, I assumed I was the only person experiencing those feelings.

Working night shifts gives you far too much time to dwell on all your mistakes to the point where you cannot recall any of the good times.

Well put sir.

Comment

I don't feel I would have a right to be on this thread normally, but was browsing and saw your post EIM/LRRR. Thanks for being so open. It's a lesson we can all learn from.

I'll be thinking of you.

Comment

Rough night. 18 month old daughter up at 2:00 and even after 20 mins of rocking, milk and a fresh nappy wouldn't settle. She came in with us and then about half an hour ago vomited this cheesy mess all over us and our bed. There's linen in the machine and more in the bath and we've now got a single duvet and sleeping bag on our bed.

She'd been floppy and shivery before but while we were clearing up she was much perkier. Typical. And now I've got to try to get her back down in her cot. No idea if this'll work or how long it'll take. And I can still smell a string hint of that vile cheesy sicky stench. Urgh.

Heating is coming on now as it's freezing and I'm just longing for a few hours of peace in an old sleeping bag. But she's not even closing her eyes.

Comment

Girl in. Now just to decide how long to stay awake until I think she's going to stay asleep. Time to catch up on some threads.

Comment

That takes me back. Hang in there Kev.

Comment

Cheers Sits. I could murder some toast now but I think it's time to try to get back to sleep. Fingers and cold toes crossed.

Comment

I'm still up. EIM, as always, nailed the feeling of being up late in the company of your demons.

Hang on in there, Kev.

Comment

Oof, bloody hell Toby, hope you're alright. Managed to get a few solid hours in before child #1 woke up. I have a dead arm and an aching neck and back but otherwise I think I got away with it pretty well.

Comment

Been up all night so thought I would come into this thread and write all about it, only to find I can't really get started and am not that arsed either way. Much like the rest of my life these days.

I'm beginning to miss the days when I was just on loads of drugs all the time.

Comment

I find that there is less and less that makes me happy.

EIM, you lament your shit job and prospects, etc, but I've striven my whole life to make good money, have a nice home and stuff, and have made lots of decisions and sacrifices to get there. Now I'm here and it's all like "meh". And oddly - despite it all being empty - I spend all of my time worrying about losing it all and enjoy it even less for that.

Thank fuck for sport and Spotify or I'd seriously have no escape from the mundane.

Comment

Woken up by the people upstairs fucking screaming at each other and banging doors at three in the morning. It at least makes a change from the one of them screaming alone and banging doors. Not enthused at the notion of going to the second day of a new job on the back of an hour-and-a-half's sleep, not least as I am liable to spend a big chunk of the day sat in a stuffy, windowless room, staring at computers.

And I'd decided this weekend just gone that I was going to put an offer in on the apartment.

Comment

You got a new job, dog. Excellent news.

Comment

My son stuck a pea up his nose during lunch at nursery so my in-laws have had to pick him up to take him to hospital to get it (and possibly more) out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                    You got a new job, dog. Excellent news.
                                    Cheers Gero (and belated cheers to Femme Folle who passed on her congrats in the mundane thread. It's nowt fancy, but for someone just out of their master's degree it's a good start in a new field. Good place to have on my CV, good pay, and at least one aspect of my life is going to have the appearance of semi-permanence for a year at least. I've got my foot in the door of actually having a vocation.

Fucking knackered now though. Going to comfort eat a gigantic pail of pasta and pesto.

Comment

Congrats, beak, old bean.

I know what you mean about being knackered. I've been back in full time work for three weeks now, after two months off, and the routine is still kicking my arse.

Comment

How is the new job Tobes? No singers or casual racists?

Comment

It's great, thanks for asking. Relaxed atmosphere, good people and a boss who isn't a complete screaming nightmare arsehole. No casual racists and a surprising lack of Tory types.

I kinda like it. Maybe I'll stay on.

Comment

Jurassic Park!

Comment

Nine years of this thread and I still get a Commodores ear prod every time I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                                It's great, thanks for asking. Relaxed atmosphere, good people and a boss who isn't a complete screaming nightmare arsehole. No casual racists and a surprising lack of Tory types.

I kinda like it. Maybe I'll stay on.
                                                Sweet

Comment

Difficult reading that post of mine, but I'm bossing shit now. Easy street.

Though I was wrong - things could and did get worse from where I was back in 2014

Comment

Better now though, right?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X