England vs Germany... again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm looking forward to Wingco's match report more than the actual game itself :-)

Comment

I have a gut feeling that wingco's post-match report will be the only thing I'll enjoy about today's afternoon match.

Comment

I predict 0-0 penalties.

Comment

Unavoidably the great 1966 swindle was shown again and again in TV. I never noticed before that almost all English fans waved the Union Jack. Does anybody know when and why that came out of fashion in England?

Comment

Word seems to be that Schweinsteiger will play.

Just been chatting to a German friend who reckons England have "objectively the better team". Funny how perspective changes.

Comment

Jupp04 wrote:
              Unavoidably the great 1966 swindle was shown again and again in TV. I never noticed before that almost all English fans waved the Union Jack. Does anybody know when and why that came out of fashion in England?
              Think it was mostly due to Euro '96 and the Scottish and Welsh devolution that was happening around that time.

Euro '96 was kind of a defining moment for the English supporters to embrace the St George's cross as their own rather than wave the Union flag which seemed to symbolize something that was breaking up.

I may be wrong, but I certainly don't remember seeing loads of St George Cross flags previously, my vague memories of Italia '90 and Euros '88 and '92 are that Union flags were still the norm for England fans.

Comment

It's a lovely sunny day in Sweden, perfect weather to go to the beach and lie in the sun with my mp3 player, my book and countless Swedish blondes.

Yet here I am, at home, waiting for kickoff so that the most epic badminding session in almost 14 years can commence.

The lengths I go to for the cause.

Comment

Put a shift on my behalf mate, a good one whilst I bugger off to the moors for a a bit of hiking...

Comment

Braai, I salute you.
                    I love women as much as the next man.But i am aware that everything has its place.

I got a feeling......... tonights gonna be a good night.

Comment

5 seconds into the BBC program and 1966 is up, follwoed by 1970 and 1990.

Comment

Ah yes, good idea TG. I'll put the BBC stream on. That will get the badminding circuits activated and ready.

Comment

In solidarity with my good frined Altermann Barnes and the ABG (Alles ausser Deutschland?) I planned working on my suntain down by the river (Severn). But alas I've done my back and had to limp to the sofa instead.

Comment

I know England are going out tonight and yet I'm still watching. It's like tuning into the lottery on live TV. I must be crazy It's 11:18 pm here and I'm going to feel like shit on two counts tomorrow.

Comment

Just turned on BBC stream.

Was immediately greeted by Lee Dixon going on about how the Germans will have difficulty with the "power and pace we have in the centre of midfield." Shearer thinks the English strikers need to improve if "we're gonna go on, progress and win this thing."

Luckily they interviewed Trevor Brooking afterwards, who complimented the young German players and noted that England have only scored two goals in the World Cup. Bless him, those couple of years at AEB hotbed Cork City must have had a positive influence on him.

Comment

I wonder how much they paid Boris Becker to play the stereotypical cocky German.

All that was missing was a salute and a goosestep.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
                                  Word seems to be that Schweinsteiger will play.

Just been chatting to a German friend who reckons England have "objectively the better team". Funny how perspective changes.
                                  German fans always say things like this, eat all the humble pie before the main course and then beat England. The only exception is we might all be spared the agony of extra time and penalties because it's not likely to be a classic for the neutral this one. England games rarely are I would suspect.

Comment

This is only the second time I've watched the BBC panel. They are talking up Gerrard's excellent, "disciplined" performance at the world cup.

Sometimes I think the BBC exists in an alternate reality.

edit: Thankfully, RTE coverage is starting in two minutes. Cue Giles and Dunphy telling me that Gerrard can't do the simple things right.

Comment

England's going to win.

Maradona will be waiting (even if I predicted Mexico to win.)

The Press will not make a big deal of that at all.

Comment

Stevie Mac, sitting next to Jurgen Klinsmann: "This is it, this is D-Day."

Comment

So Germany sent out Euro '96 keeper Andreas Köpke to meet the English press instead of Joachim Löw.

Haha, and they say the Germans have no sense of humour.

Comment

Didi Hamman (introduced on RTE as "somebody who knows how it feels to score and beat England") doesn't think Germany can do well, pointing out that Ghana could have scored if they had proper strikers.

Comment

Booing the German anthem, nice touch.

Comment

Hooray, the booing of other people's national anthems is back, back, BACK!!!

Comment

I think that's the first booing of a national anthem in this World Cup, isn't it?

Come on Deutschland!

Comment

Germany certainly winning the battle of the fan-babes here, hands down.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X