England vs Germany... again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following the epic encounters of 1966, 1970, 1990, 1996, 2000 (ahem) and 2001, another historic match-up looks to be well on the cards.

I think that England will qualify for the next round by beating Slovenia but I think the US will also beat Algeria, and by more goals too, making the US group winners.

I think that Germany will beat Ghana to be group winners, and that Serbia will finish runners-up in that group.

Ergo England will face Germany in the next round, at which point it will be Auf Widersehen England ...

Ich glaube, dass Sie einen Buchstabe ausgelassen haben. [/pedantisch]

Comment

As 'Buchstabe' is a weak noun it should finish with an 'n'. So you've missed a letter too [/noch pedantischer, and re-reading sentence ten times to make sure I haven't inadvertently made a typo].

Comment

And now Germany will beat Ghana to set it all up nicely...

Comment

Braai on Earth... wrote:
          VEE HAF MEAT HERE IN ZE HOTEL!

Comment

I've tipped Serbia and Ghana to qualify from this group ever since the draw, though I'd love to see an outcome that puts Germany and Ghana through. So come on, Australia.

Comment

If Germany can engineer it so that they finish second (thus avoiding Argentina/Mexico in the quarter final), they will.

Comment

The Germans can probably be confident of 10 man Australia holding Serbia to 0-0, with a similar score in the other game.

Comment

As 'Buchstabe' is a weak noun it should finish with an 'n'. So you've missed a letter too [/noch pedantischer, and re-reading sentence ten times to make sure I haven't inadvertently made a typo].

I think you ought to use the "du" form on a forum like this. And I'd have gone for a different verb, too.

"Ich glaube, du hast einen Buchstaben vergessen." [/Pedanterie durch Freundlosigkeit]

Comment

Does that mean "for you, the World Cup is over"?

If not, what would that translate as?

Comment

Is anyone else excited by the very real possibility of an Escape To Victory strip combination? Just me and the tabloids, eh? Thought so.

Comment

imp wrote:
                        Touché. Or rather berührt.

Comment

Half Man Half Busquets wrote:
                          Is anyone else excited by the very real possibility of an Escape To Victory strip combination? Just me and the tabloids, eh? Thought so.
                          Are Germany the "home team" with regard to kits by virtue of winning their group?

Comment

Not sure, but FIFA is listing them first, and that would certainly make sense.

If you're Jogi, do you go with the 1966 rematch, or make England play in white?

Comment

wingco and (hopefully) dotmund's match reports.

Comment

More importantly, what do you wear if you're Jogi % Co.?

Comment

Sgt. Pepper outfits, methinks.

Comment

This time I don't want no penalty affair, although those are sweet, too. I want a clear-cut 4-0, maybe with a consolation from Rooney because I like the guy.

I want all those ridiculously overpaid Lampards and Coles with salaries the size of South Africa's GDP to get found out. All the media hype about the best league in the world - and the lazy nonsense that this makes the few English footballers playing there the best in the world, too.

Even more than that I want the idea of running clubs as companies, floating on the stock market and eventually snapped up by faceless investors to get found out. And the idea that you can turn your proud history, your legacy, your supporters' deepest feelings into money, milking them until they are bankrupt or priced out of the game.

Most of all though I want all the historical nonsense to be found out. How England were always unlucky in those matches, and German tankerism prevailed. And how winning on penalties doesn't really count, at least far less than a 5-1 thrashing in a qualifier.

If this game can deliver that, it probably needs to be 4-0. Bring. It. On.

Comment

Even more than that I want the idea of running clubs as companies, floating on the stock market and eventually snapped up by faceless investors to get found out.
                                      But enough about Borussia Dortmund . . .

Comment

Heh

Comment

I'm praying for Germany to win on penalties. Oh PLEASE, it would be so so funny.

Comment

Boring stuff from Broon there, but yeah, that's a real edge that Germany have, along with the edges they have related to, you know, how good they are at football.

Across all competitions, Germany have converted, I think, 93% of their shootout penalties against England's 68%. The sums are a bit convoluted, but I reckon this stat on its own would make them something like 10-1 on favourites if it does go to penalties.

That's ignoring the stats on how good the two goalies are at saving penalties, mind, which muddy the waters a lot.

Comment

The Sun is going to love this.

Well, here we go again. Who's turn is it to win this time? I reckon it's the Germans' turn.

Just not on penalties - please!

Germany will be loving it too. And there will be all the usual talk about 1966 - Das Wembley Tor. You know that most Germans think that final ended 3-2?

Comment

Jesus. I can't be be doing with this place any more. It's ruining the World Cup for me. Later, OTF.

Comment

I dunno, you know, I'm so bored with the obsessing, by England fans and ABEs alike, with Germany and pennos, as if it's some grand historical narrative, be it tragic or comic. If it goes to penalties Germany will probably win, unless England have been practising as much as Germany do. I'm not sure there's that much else to be said, really.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X