Cod War Three: ENG-ICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reed John wrote: Are the coaches in England certified/qualified by some kind of competing (and apparently inferior) FA system or are there simply not that many coaches and/or a lot of bad coaches who are nothing more than dads yelling "KICK IT HARD!!!!! GET IT UP TO THE BIG LADS!!!!!!!!" ??
    In my experience (as an observing parent, not a coach I hasten to add) once you've been issued with your club tracksuit and polo shirt you're fully qualified to stand there shouting 'hit the space', 'tempo, tempo' and 'big heart'.

Most junior coaches will do a first level coaching badge which (and I might be out of date, I just remember from when my son played) is mainly around first aid, rules and child protection. I don't think many go on to do higher level qualifications, but don't have stats to back that up.

Comment

So farewell Woy. Last coach to lose a home friendly to NI

Comment

Walt Flanagans Chien wrote:
        Originally posted by Reed John
        Are the coaches in England certified/qualified by some kind of competing (and apparently inferior) FA system or are there simply not that many coaches and/or a lot of bad coaches who are nothing more than dads yelling "KICK IT HARD!!!!! GET IT UP TO THE BIG LADS!!!!!!!!" ??
        In my experience (as an observing parent, not a coach I hasten to add) once you've been issued with your club tracksuit and polo shirt you're fully qualified to stand there shouting 'hit the space', 'tempo, tempo' and 'big heart'.

Most junior coaches will do a first level coaching badge which (and I might be out of date, I just remember from when my son played) is mainly around first aid, rules and child protection. I don't think many go on to do higher level qualifications, but don't have stats to back that up.
        I don't have kids, but my understanding from friends who have gotten involved in their kids' soccer or ice hockey (which has some kind of qualification set-up too) is that the leagues struggle to balance qualifications with not having enough coaches at all. Earning qualifications takes time that many people with kids and jobs just don't have, and many leagues would rather have anybody with a clean criminal record and a vague familiarity with first aid, than turn people away because they aren't qualified.

When I was a kid, most of our soccer coaches didn't really know anything about the game at all. Now, at least, its not too hard to find somebody who at least played in college. But having been a good player, even at the professional level, doesn't make one a good coach.

Comment

Walt Flanagans Chien wrote:
          Originally posted by Reed John
          Are the coaches in England certified/qualified by some kind of competing (and apparently inferior) FA system or are there simply not that many coaches and/or a lot of bad coaches who are nothing more than dads yelling "KICK IT HARD!!!!! GET IT UP TO THE BIG LADS!!!!!!!!" ??

Exactly this except for one or two points. Firstly, in theory, all junior coaches will do a first level coaching badge but they tend not to have to do it straight away. It would be very rare that a coach hasn't completed the level one coaching badge before the end of his first season.

Also, there will be lessons on how to plan and run coaching sessions as well as those on the - extremely important - first aid, rules and child protection. Is it at level 2 where in-depth coaching sessions are taught.

Comment

Worst England boss?:

1. McClaren
            2. Capello
            3. Taylor
            4. Hodgson
            5. Keegan
            6. Revie

Comment

Winterbottom?

Comment

Heh heh. Bottom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEsfd3MRDgA

Comment

For a while there I thought DM thought Lallana had played against Iceland, or that he was indulging in a tribute to wingco's Redknapp gags.

Comment

The "Lallana" chant also fits "Lola" by The Kinks

Comment

If I were an Ingerlund fan (ah-yudda-yudda-yudda-yudda-yudda-yudda-yum), I'd be really angry about Roy Hodgson thinking he owes no explanations, nor has a duty to turn up to the press conf the day after handing in his notice.

Football management in England (not just his job)really is the dream job. Earn millions, never answer for your decisions, get rewarded for failure by having your contract paid up in full.

Comment

You see, I'm the opposite. I'd be angry about the pig's arse he made of the tournament but wouldn't care at all about him turning up at a bloody press conference the next day.

The only people that benefits are the media themselves. No supporter really needs it raked over again, they know what went wrong.

Hodgson is clearly broken by the job and experience of the last couple of finals, let the man go home.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: You see, I'm the opposite. I'd be angry about the pig's arse he made of the tournament but wouldn't care at all about him turning up at a bloody press conference the next day.

The only people that benefits are the media themselves. No supporter really needs it raked over again, they know what went wrong.

Hodgson is clearly broken by the job and experience of the last couple of finals, let the man go home.
                          That's right.

Comment

The one thing that annoyed me a bit was that he had a prepared statement. Just another example of the PR takeover, nowadays everyone apologises with a prepared statement, goes down on their knees and begs for mercy with a prepared statement, etc.

Saying "I don't know what to say, we fucked up and it hurts like hell" would be far better PR, but then a PR person would be out of a job.

Comment

Isn't that what the Russian coach said?

Comment

Whether he should've had to face the press again or otherwise, showing up and then saying 'I don't know what I'm doing here' is a massive insult to England followers.

Comment

Will Roy bring a book out? You'd think he'd want to keep the media sweet so he would get some plugs when it is published.

Is there a desperate country that might want him for 2018 WCQ? Or a championship club that wants another McClaren?

Comment

He's 68 now, so probably won't get any more long term roles. I could see him as a "to the end of the season" appointment around Christmas at somewhere like Watford / Palace / Hull.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: Tempted to buy an Iceland shirt as I really like them but equally worried my England supporting friends will think I'm trolling them.
                                      Sold out.

Comment

Je Suis Womble wrote: Whether he should've had to face the press again or otherwise, showing up and then saying 'I don't know what I'm doing here' is a massive insult to England followers.
                                        Yeah. After all, they've travelled thousands of miles and paid thousands of pounds to be at that press conference and shouted and sung themselves hoarse throughout it.

Really, it's a fucking press conference! What rational supporter gives a fuck about it?

Comment

I watched the game against last night. England were still creating chances up to the Iceland 2nd goal but thereafter it was hit and hope. Hart was the busier keeper in the 2nd half.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Je Suis Womble
                                            Whether he should've had to face the press again or otherwise, showing up and then saying 'I don't know what I'm doing here' is a massive insult to England followers.
                                            Yeah. After all, they've travelled thousands of miles and paid thousands of pounds to be at that press conference and shouted and sung themselves hoarse throughout it.

Really, it's a fucking press conference! What rational supporter gives a fuck about it?
                                            Yes. But it's his contractual obligation. I think he was narked about having to resign on the spot after the loss. Duke effectively made his role untenable by saying the minimum requirement to stay on would be QF. Given the choice Roy would have stayed on and blagged another two years like he did after the Brazil debacle.
                                            The FA probably threatened to withhold his final paycheck if he didn't attend.

Comment

I'm sure they did and I can understand why the FA and press corps would want him to attend. I can't fathom why fans would be bothered though.

Comment

Could be worse. Del Bosque is still "reflecting on his future". I hope he doesn't nod off.

Comment

Mr Cogito wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Capybara
                                                  Ah, right, thanks. It's not really worth 'getting' is it? And by the looks of it those kids are probably in their mid-forties now.
                                                  Rooney certainly looked it in the second half last night!
                                                  I watched the game in a bar crowded with English and German fans outside the SdF following the Italy v Spain game so it was hard to give the action any real analysis at the time.

Consequently,this vine of Rooney is something of a shock even to someone like me who doesn't have a high opinion of his play nowadays.

I know a few seconds of video isn't a whole performance but to make just those errors in one game is damning.

Comment

Even someone with Del Bosque's CV should be told by his bosses the game is up. Two failures in a row is the limit even for a WC/EC winning coach.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X