No announcement yet.

2017 baseball thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is why we want the Padres to win only 6 days out of 7.

Comment

Not wanting to conflate the baseball cards thread but on this year's Topps Opening Day card even the Swinging Friar was wearing freaking camo!!

Comment

That's actual Political Correctness gone mad

Comment

This is a nice start, following a ridiculous game. 20 runs in the last 9 innings, and we still have 2 outs to go.

Comment

And then it went to shit in the space of one and a half innings. Ridiculous triple play, and now we're two down. Oh well.

Comment

Since getting the baseball itch back in May I've taken to listening to random radio commentaries to relax after work. I usually get home around 2230-ish so try to find whatever's on though often drift towards the Tortugas. Much of it is quite identikit but has anyone got any teams (or stations) I should give a go over the last few weeks of the season.

Comment

I believe that MLB.tv offer a free game every day without invoking the paywall. That might be of interest as it would expose you to a variety of radio and television teams (the site gives you a choice of home or away feeds).

The range of approach and inherent quality is surprisingly wide and the variety can be inherently interesting.

Comment

There's a lot of free highlights on the website too.

As for teams, the Cubs of course.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Cubs' current television crew (Len Casper and Jim Deshaies), but find their radio team (Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer) grating.

All of the San Francisco Giants' broadcasters are very good. The Yankees' broadcasters channel many of the least attractive elements of the club's fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      The Yankees' broadcasters channel many of the least attractive elements of the club's fanbase.
                      They're from Connecticut and Jersey?

Comment

Not exactly, but they do live there now

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                          Since getting the baseball itch back in May I've taken to listening to random radio commentaries to relax after work. I usually get home around 2230-ish so try to find whatever's on though often drift towards the Tortugas. Much of it is quite identikit but has anyone got any teams (or stations) I should give a go over the last few weeks of the season.

The Daytona Tortugas?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            The Daytona Tortugas?
                            The very same... I've got the cap.

Comment

Am pretty biased, but the Brewers do very well - Bob Uecker on the radio and Brian Anderson and Bill "Rock" Schroeder on TV...

Comment

Another 17-run game and Happ gets to 20 home runs in record time. I guess if we were going to have a bad half and a good half to the season, it's better that it's this way round. It's a bummer about Russell though. And I have very little confidence we can sustain this run against the better teams we'll be facing in the postseason, let alone the World Series.
                                Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 31-08-2017, 09:19.

Comment

I hate Christopher Russo.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                    The very same... I've got the cap.
                                    I thought you lived in Plymouth

Comment

I thought you lived in Plymouth
                                      I do... however my Grandma lived in Daytona for about 20 years and my aunt and uncle are still there. No other connection to the US, I have absolutely no American ancestry that enables me to pick a team so they're as good as any.

Comment

Talking of 'ball' caps, many years back, my ex did a mini tour of the US, and brought me back a load of caps, my favourite of which just said 'Cocks', which is apparently South Carolina Gamecocks, or thereabouts?

Comment

This one?

Comment

Thanks, that was interesting.

I think mine was a rip-off, because it just said cocks. Or B bought it in an entirely different establishment.

Comment

So you're getting them on the internet or do they oddly broadcast their games with such
                                              wattage that you can pick it up in England?
                                              They're a Reds affilate now, so I sometimes pay attention to them.

Comment

So uh, good thing the Dodgers built up that huge lead in the standings. Seems like they've taken the last few weeks off. I blame the Sports Illustrated cover.

Comment

So you're getting them on the internet or do they oddly broadcast their games with such
                                                  wattage that you can pick it up in England?
                                                  They're a Reds affilate now, so I sometimes pay attention to them.
                                                  While I can pick up plenty of French and Spanish stations on the AM at night I haven't found FL yet.

It's through the MiLB website and TuneIn radio. There are dozens of links to stations around the US broadcasting baseball commentary from plenty of towns that remain a mystery to me. I find it an oddly satisfying way to unwind after an evening shift while I catch up in here.

So maybe I should adopt the Reds, is that how it works?

Comment

I live in a one dog village just outside Liverpool, and last weekend I was buying a box of eggs in the only shop in the village when an elderly chap walked up to me, pointed at my Rays T-shirt and said "Have you ever played baseball?" I had to admit that I hadn't, and he drew himself up to his full 5 foot 7 and said proudly, "I have. When all the Americans were stationed here after the war, we had a league and I played in it. It's a fantastic game to play, I loved it. I've got a load of old caps from that era, all the big teams."

Unfortunately I was in a rush and couldn't stay to chat, but I have glanced at the history of British baseball and the post-war era did indeed see a lot of sides from the Merseyside and Warrington area win the league, so I guess this old fella could've been playing for one of them. Bet his collection of caps will be worth a few bob too!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X